How often to wash wet/dry bags

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How often to wash wet/dry bags

Postby Sesb » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:06 pm

I have 2 Planet Wise bags. One is a large wet/dry bag that I store diapers in at home until I wash (which is every night). How often should I wash the bag?? I have been washing it every time I wash the dipes, but of course, I do not put it in the dryer. I was just wondering if I could/should do it every other day or so to keep it in tip-top shape or if doing it every night would be okay. Also, will my dipes wear out really quickly by washing every day? Sometimes I dry them in the dryer (I use delicate setting or air fluff setting..gas dryer). I am getting more diapers (I only have 8 BGs that I use..have 8 G diapers that I refuse to use 'cause I can't stand 'em..what a pain!!), but sometimes I totally air dry them. Sorry if this has been posted recently/before. I'm still a newbie (only been cd'ing for 6 or 7 months..love it!!).

Also, besides the prefolds, which NB diaper would yall recommend? I have 1 BG AIO newborn diaper..and, I really like the look of it. I have 2 other kids (3 and 15 months) so I want as simple as possible..as in toss in the wash and go. Also, it needs to be hubby (and in-law) friendly. He is okay with cd'ing as long as it is easy and requires no more work than a quick spray with the diaper sprayer. He couldn't stand the G-dipes anymore than me. I have (2) BG 4.0 One Size and the (6) BG Organic Elemental One-Size AIOs, but they seem like they will be too big for a newborn (even though all our babies have had thunder-thighs from the get-go).

TIA!!
Me (Suzy): 30
DH: 31
DD1: August 11, 2008
DD2: May 14, 2010
DS: Due October 14, 2011..born 9/29/11

Image ImageImage
Sesb
Star Member
Star Member

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:31 am

I've had my FB wet bag for about 7-8 months. Yesterday I noticed a bunch of tiny little tears on the laminate. Still very functional but I'll probably be more careful with it.
Mine is washed every time I wash dipes though so that poor thing has been through the ringer. I've been thinking about getting a 2nd bag which would come in handy while the other is washing. I don't dry mine in the dryer, if I do it's on low heat.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:06 am

I was mine with every load of diapers, though I was every other day (sometimes I stretch to every 3 days) and I have two bags so I can rotate them.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 am

Didn't answer your other question! For a newborn, if you don't want to do prefolds, fitteds might be a good option. I hear good things about the GMD workhorse diapers. Honestly, prefolds are not as difficult as they seem. My husband wanted nothing to do with them, thought he would just use pockets. He reaches for the prefolds first thing, though, and is a fantastic Snappier. They are really resilient as far as washing, too. You can do just about anything to them and they come out in fantastic shape (actually getting better with each wash). So that's why I would suggest the workhorse fitteds since they are made from their prefolds so should be really high quality and easy to care for.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sesb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:15 pm

Thanks!

So, if I decide to do prefolds, get the GMD?

And, I suppose I will start rotating my bags. I don't want them to start wearing out. One is just a medium size (holds about 9), but should still be fine for how often I wash. I really wish my DH would stop putting sopping wet diapers in the "dry" pocket of the wet/dry bag. I keep telling him that it isn't waterproof in that section..what a mess!!
Me (Suzy): 30
DH: 31
DD1: August 11, 2008
DD2: May 14, 2010
DS: Due October 14, 2011..born 9/29/11

Image ImageImage
Sesb
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Emmo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:40 am

stefanielynn wrote:Didn't answer your other question! For a newborn, if you don't want to do prefolds, fitteds might be a good option. I hear good things about the GMD workhorse diapers. Honestly, prefolds are not as difficult as they seem. My husband wanted nothing to do with them, thought he would just use pockets. He reaches for the prefolds first thing, though, and is a fantastic Snappier. They are really resilient as far as washing, too. You can do just about anything to them and they come out in fantastic shape (actually getting better with each wash). So that's why I would suggest the workhorse fitteds since they are made from their prefolds so should be really high quality and easy to care for.

this is what I am planning on doing as well. Everyone says GMD prefolds are the best.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Fitted diapers are a great option if you don't want to do prefolds.
I have 2 pail liners that I rotate. One to use while the other is washing. I don't dry them. I wash them every time I do laundry which is every day. I think that not drying them definitely makes them last longer. :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Return to Cloth Diapering