Info/recommendations on pocket diapers?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Info/recommendations on pocket diapers?

Postby BeccaM » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:51 am

For a CD'ing mom, I know very little about the options out there! We've just done PF's and covers since day 1. I am thinking, however, now that the little guy is older (and up a lot from teething and nursing more at night right now), he's getting very soggy by morning with just doubled PFs. It may be affecting his sleep, since he's been waking up earlier than normal. and I hate to change a diaper in the middle of the night since I have enough trouble keeping him asleep anyway, without getting him all cold and irritated! :)

My friend was using BumGenius seconds on her babies and she really liked them. I know very little about any diapers but PFs, so.... I would appreciate any info or recommendations you have!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:54 am

Seems like the most recommended pocket is the BG 4.0, but I don't have a recommendation myself :D
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:14 am

Come to think of it- I've heard really good things about bummis easy fit.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:27 am

I do not like my easy fits for overnight. You'd have to stuff them more and then they are just way too bulky.
Kawaii overnights are very affordable and I've read good things about them.
We eventually switched to sposies overnight but before then I was so in love with Rumparooz for overnight. If I could afford to make my whole stash out of them I would. They take a beating and still look brand new (velcro isn't messed up at all!) and they absorb soooooo much! I love their inserts.
I do like BG. I think they are a really good diaper.

You can always buy a pocket shell and stuff it with your prefolds. This would make use out of the prefolds you already have and super absorbent if you have a hemp flat.
Kawaii will sell you the shells only if you inquire about it. It takes a bit of a discount since you aren't buying the inserts.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sesb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 pm

Love the BG 4.0! The liner keeps my daughter dry through the night, I just use one insert, and she is a pretty heavy wetter.
Me (Suzy): 30
DH: 31
DD1: August 11, 2008
DD2: May 14, 2010
DS: Due October 14, 2011..born 9/29/11

Image ImageImage
Sesb
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ivycrystals » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:23 pm

BumGenius Pockets stuffed with 1 infant pf that is wrapped around either the infant insert or a hemp doubler. And if he is a heavy wetter do the pf wrapped around the infant insert and a hemp doubler. That was our solution from about 15m-2 years. L's wearing sposies now. I can't keep up on the diaper laundry from daycare. This pregnancy has just kicked my fanny! I like the Fuzzibunz pocket stuffed the same way for overnight. Actually any pocket that is stuffed that way would hold Leah over night. I've done BGOS, FB, Rumparooz, Knickernappies, and I added a couple hemp doublers to the Easy Fit and it was ok. But not my preferred.

If you think the wetness is what is bothering him, what about doing a layer of hemp with your pfs and adding a fleece liner to pull away moisture. I can also tell you that Leah went through a sleep regression at that age that was pretty brutal and the nighttime diaper didn't seem to make a bit of difference.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

I use my BG AIOs with a doubler or a BG 3.0 with two inserts for nighttime. It keeps her nice and dry and not problems with leaks. I also have a Swaddlebees pocket that does well at night.

I sometimes use a trifolded newborn prefold with a microfiber or fleece insert, and that works really well, too.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I made an offer on a half dozen Kawaii pockets on Ebay, but I have no idea if I"ll get them or not. I've heard good and bad things about Kawaii, so we'll see...

If you think the wetness is what is bothering him, what about doing a layer of hemp with your pfs and adding a fleece liner to pull away moisture. I can also tell you that Leah went through a sleep regression at that age that was pretty brutal and the nighttime diaper didn't seem to make a bit of difference.

Yes, that's the thing. I really don't know if it's the nighttime diaper or not. Isaiah is teething so hard and learning lots of new things (like how to pull up in his crib!). Plus we just moved a few weeks ago, so he's still adjusting, etc.... This has been a rough couple of weeks for sleep. He's up 2 - 4 times a night, sometimes crying for up to an hour before going back down. Plus, he's been getting up at like 6:30 am instead of 7:30 - 8. Ugh.

Anyway, I thought the diapers might help. I have him in a sposie tonight to see if there is any difference.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering