CD lingo? And cover question.

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

CD lingo? And cover question.

Postby Beegee » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi guys, 2 questions.

Just shopping online, browsing some handmade wool covers on Etsy. I thought all things cloth-diapering in wool would be covers, but I'm noticing a lot of them are called 'soakers.' What does that mean? To me that implies it is the absorbant layer? I'm so confused.

And my other question-- has anyone used a fleece cover? I'm noticing these are a lot more plentiful on Etsy and a lot cheaper. They have the same look as wool shorties. I know wool has a lot of good qualities, but wondering if a few fleece covers would be something worth purchasing?

I just bought 3 handmade, hemp fitteds and 6 contours (same material/style) used, from someone in my city. They're awesome! But need covers to go with them. Will probably get a couple super brites bc I've heard so many good things, but am considering getting some wool (or fleece, depending) too.
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:08 pm

With wool, the small "covers" are called soakers, shorties are wool shorts that you can use as a cover, longies would be long wool pants, and skirties are covers that have a skirt added to the soaker piece.

Fleece is water resistant but it needs washed and if it gets too damp can't be used with more than one diaper change. Wool is naturally anti-microbial. If you change the diaper fast enough you can rotate between a couple of them during the day. They don't need washed after every use. I had 2 that i used for nighttime and would just flip inside out to dry.

Wool needs lanolized to stay waterproof and fleece does not.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering