Kawaii or Bum Genuis 4.0

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Kawaii or Bum Genuis 4.0

Postby luvin » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:08 pm

After watching some videos (which helped me grasp this greatly) I think I'm leaning toward the Kawaii diapers. But from the videos, there isn't really any difference in them and BG other than price. Anyone tried both and know why i should shell out more dough for the bum genius?

Also, how often do you wash your covers?I finally understand washing the inserts, but I didn't know about covers (every time, every other time?). Since these are one size diapers, I'm trying to figure out how many I should buy. Each diaper comes with 2 inserts, so if I can use on diaper twice a day (with new insert), then I'd need way fewer at first, right?
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:27 pm

Kawaii diapers are quite a bit bulkier than Bum Genius

These are both pocket diapers, you stuff the pocket with the insert and are given two for extra absorbency if needed. You will have to wash them after each use since the liner of the pocket will be soiled.

I think you are thinking of Hybrid or all-in-two diapers? With those, you have a shell and a snap in type soaker. You can just replace the soaker and reuse the shell (as long as it's not soiled) GroVia and Best Bottom are two types of hybrids. :)

Both Hybrids and pockets are great diapers. If you want to reuse a shell more than once, either hybrids or prefolds with covers are the way to go.
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby Emmo » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:12 pm

I was wondering the same thing... there was another thread a little further down about this topic.

http://www.twoweekwait.com/preg/communi ... c&t=206980

I'm not CDing yet (just planning) so, I don't know which is better, but since BG seems the be the "it" diaper, I'm assuming it's just made a little better?
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:48 am

Emmo wrote:I was wondering the same thing... there was another thread a little further down about this topic.

http://www.twoweekwait.com/preg/communi ... c&t=206980

I'm not CDing yet (just planning) so, I don't know which is better, but since BG seems the be the "it" diaper, I'm assuming it's just made a little better?

From what I've read the Kawaii's have a much wider area between the legs making it a lot bulkier. There was a video of it on youtube. lol That's the only thing I could find so far. I think I'll lean towards those.
It's a girl!!
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 pm

After posting a thread on this a while back, I decided just to keep my eye out on Ebay and whatever auction I won, would be the type I'd go with, LOL! I won a good deal on 5 used Kawaii pockets a few days ago and just started with them today. So far so good, but I can't really say exactly what all the differences are. My friend has BG 4.0 and likes them. They do seem a little narrower between the legs and are possibly a bit higher quality in materials, but I didn't notice a big difference between them :dunno:.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Katora » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:21 pm

I've used both, extensively. :lol:

I loved my Kawaiis for what they were. Affordable, cute, effective. I was able to buy a huge amount for not a lot of cash, which is great when you are first getting started, if you want to go with pocket dipes. I liked that they had a lot of cute styles and patterns, and that I could get about 3 Kawaiis for the cost of 1 BGOS when I bought in bulk. These were my starter diapers. I also had 3 BGOS 3.0s and was not a fan of those. The velcro went all crappy on me after a few washes, some of the velcro seams ripped out in places, and it got very fuzzy very quick, even with proper care etc. With the Kawaiis I got snaps, and they held up wonderfully. I did have a couple of them that had defective rise snaps, but for the price I paid, it really wasn't an issue, and I was using them at the largest rise setting anyway.

When the BGOS 4.0s came out, I ordered a few to try out (in snaps). I loved them. I promptly ordered more. I put all of my Kawaiis away and used the BGOS all the time. Problem with them was that they didn't seem to be as absorbent without adding extra layers that didn't come with. The Kawaiis were more bulky, but also held more liquid. The BGOS were made of higher quality materials, and didn't pill as bad or as quickly as the Kawaiis. The pilling however has in no way lowered the diapers effectiveness, and is still every bit as useful, just not as soft as it was when first bought.

So... comparison:
Kawaii: Cheap price, cheap materials, but effective, good stash starter/builder if you need a lot of diapers on the cheap.
BGOS: Well made, expensive, effective, but not as absorbent without adding extra layers, which add to the bulk, so for comparable absorbency, you will have about the same amount of bulk between the two.

And what do I use now? Flats with covers. I still have my BGOS and will use them when traveling as they are convenient, but 99% of the time they are in flats with cutesie covers. I've given all my Kawaiis away and they are still in good useable condition, and I bought my first batch over 2 years ago, and they have lasted through my 2 kids and are now being used on someone else's kids, so I'd say even if they don't look great over time, they still work wonderfully. My 3.0s weren't even sellable after a year of infrequent use, I wouldn't even give them away - they didn't hold up well at all. My 4.0s are still in great shape, but again they are snaps. I've had them for close to a year I'd guess. I got them shortly after Ferris was born. And my flats, well, they are flats, and they look just as good now as they did when I bought them. =D Oh I also have some GMD workhorse fitteds as well. They rock too. =)

I guess in the end it really just comes down to what you need. I always recommend Kawaiis to people just getting started because it is an affordable way to build up an easy to use starter stash, and you can (and will - it's addictive!) embellish that stash with many other diapers over the months and years they are used, weeding out the ones you like less or have used a little too much and replacing them with newer, better, cuter fluff. Or maybe you'll be like me, and decide to just simplify and go back to basics. <3 I sometimes wish I had just started out with flats/covers to begin with - would have saved a ton of money - but then again, I think I would have been overwhelmed by them at the start.

Maybe just get a couple of each, and see which ones suit you best, then decide from there which you want to buy more of. That way money isn't wasted so much.

Washing: With pocket dipes, you need to wash the pocket (cover) and insrts after every use. They have a liner inside that will get soaked with urine/covered in poo, and you will want to wash them. If you can, line dry them, which will extend their life, especially with velcro. If you use prefolds or flats with a cover such as a bummis super brite (one of my faves when it comes to velcro wraps - these actually take a licking!) you only have to wash it if it becomes soiled, like if poo leaks out onto the cover. If its just a wet diaper you can wipe down the inside and hang it up to dry and be ready for the next change. With this route they always recommend at least 3, but for my kids I end up needing more! LOL

Anyway... hope that helps some! <3
BFing, CDing, BWing, Delayed Vaxing, Intactivist & Lactivist SAHM of 2 wonderful kids.
DD - 5/28/08 - has Autism Spectrum Disorder & a very small undocumented deletion at 22q13.1
DS - 8/3/10 My little chubba-bubba!
Katora
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MightyMarj » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:08 pm

Kawaiis were my first dipes, and I'm still using them over a year later. They've held up really well. I have all snaps. I use mostly fitteds at home now for breathability, but for outings, ya just can't beat em. I have NOT tried BGs, but I've heard good things. Maybe you could buy a couple of each used off of diaperswappers before committing to more. BGs are made in the US, and Kawaiis are made in China, so that's most of the cost difference, and I do believe in supporting US businesses so it is a consideration for me. I've bought a TON of WAHM dipes since then though, so I think i've done my part. :lol:

Kawaiis have to be washed every use. I put the inserts in the drier and line dry the covers, which keeps them looking good longer. Every once in a while I put the covers in the drier to reseal the PUL.
Me: 34 DH: 38 DS: Colvin, 6 DD: Georgia, 4 DD: Ella, 4, from Russia
Baby #4 c-section scheduled for July 28!
:angel: Aug 2012 at 5 wks 3 days

Adoption story http://aplantingforhisglory.blogspot.com//, Love fabric? http://www.etsy.com/shop/mightymarj
MightyMarj
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:42 pm

In the winter, how do you line dry them? I have this vision of little frozen diapers in my back yard. lol
It's a girl!!
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering