Seconds thoughts on CD?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Seconds thoughts on CD?

Postby Aug05Dec11mommy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:05 am

I have been researching CD for the last 2 months. I have a small stash. I am starting to have seconds thoughts and feel a little overwhelmed by it. Did anyone have that same issue? Baby wont be here until late dec early jan so i have plenty of time. I am concerned about the amount of laundry, not having enough diapers that fit her if she is early and tiny like her brother was (DS wore premie diapers for 3 weeks), I know most of this is me overthinking things and probably hormones! LOL!!

Jenna (28 ) DH (26)
DS - Camden (6) 8/05
DD- Kennedy (6 mos) 12/11
Aug05Dec11mommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:10 am

Yes, I did second think it. Then I found out I was having a c-section. And I really had to think about it then. I ended up waiting til 2-3 weeks after she was born to really get started.

If you're really concerned about having diapers that fit, get some preemie pfs and some xs covers. Those things are tiny!! I think that the Lil Joey's from Rumparooz also fit from like 6lbs. Or if you're feeling a little adventurous, flats are super cheap and easy to make small and trim for even a tiny baby.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 am

I also had second thoughts right after I bought my stash. We waited about 2 weeks before we starting CD'ing, mostly because we had family staying with us and everyone was too "scared" to try them and since I had a c-section, I did all the breastfeeding and had other people do the diapers so I could sit as much as possible.

My baby is 5.5 weeks old now so we have been CDing for almost a month. We LOVE it! I can't believe I ever had second thoughts! It's soooo much easier than I thought it would be and the laundry is really simple (and I do it every day instead of every other day and it's STILL easy!)

You will be fine. I understand the feelings of thinking you will be overwhelmed with everything that comes with a new baby. I'm overwhelmed with a lot having my first baby, but I can honestly say that the cloth diapering has been the least of my worries! It really has been so simple that DH says to people "I don't know why everyone doesn't cloth diaper, it's really easy!"

Good luck! :)
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Just ease into it if it makes you feel more comfortable! I never had done cloth diapers (FTM here) but I wasn't overwhelmed. It's just as easy as disposables, IMO. I mean, there all diapers, just made out of different stuff! :D We started at 1 week old and then switched completely over even at nighttime around 3 - 4 weeks old. You can always keep a few disposables around if it's easier for you, for those emergency moments!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sassie111 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:48 am

I think its more overwhelming researching cloth than actually using it. I was worried about being able to do it until I actually started. I had second thoughts too, hoping I did the right thing because it was such a huge investment. I even switched back to disposables for a month. Now, we're exclusively cloth and my 2 year old won't even wear a disposable anymore :).

As far as laundry, I don't feel that diaper laundry is much work, not nearly the same as another load of clothes and I actually like doing it.
Me (Christina) 33, DH 35, DD 14, DS 11, DD 9, DS 3, DD 2
MC ~ Nov. 07', 9 weeks
MC ~ Oct. 11', 11 weeks
Chemical ~ Jan. 12', 4 weeks
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
sassie111
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Aug05Dec11mommy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:35 am

Thanks guys! I think I am just nervous with all the new baby stuff and having a 6 year old at home and then trying to bf and cd! LOL!! I do have some disposables in case the cloth are too big for her once she gets here. I plan on trying it, I was/am getting cold feet.

Jenna (28 ) DH (26)
DS - Camden (6) 8/05
DD- Kennedy (6 mos) 12/11
Aug05Dec11mommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:38 am

I have a homeschooled 5-year-old (he was in disposables) and a 5-month-old EBF, cloth diapered baby--it's totally doable! I admit that during the first few days I was wondering what I was getting into. I didn't "love" it the way I thought I was going to, I was having trouble keeping poo off the covers, I was sleep deprived and doing "extra" laundry. But seriously, stick with it! Once the first blurry week was over, I started to enjoy it more and more. After about a month, I really did "love" it and I am totally hooked now. Even now we primarily use prefolds, and I can change one of those baby's just as quickly as someone can change a disposable. You get used to it, I promise. And the laundry doesn't bother me either. I do every-other-day and I hang them to dry outside. The hanging is more work than I do for any of my other laundry, but it doesn't feel like a burden or a "great, ONE MORE thing to squeeze into my day!" type of task.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sohopeful » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:06 am

I was/am a total chicken. We're going with a 1 month diap service and a couple of covers (both via baby shower) just to make sure. I'm pretty sure I'll like it but you never know and I don't want to invest just yet. At the very least I won't have to purchase any NB size things.
sohopeful
Friend

Postby sarahmarie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:42 am

Awww, no need to worry. In the beginning you can just get some NB prefolds and a few covers and you will be fine. The hospital will give you a pack or two of sposies to take home as well. You also won't have to stress out about being out of diapers because you can always just do laundry more often. Cloth really is so much easier than you could ever imagine. It is so nice not to have to budget to buy diapers all the time. Good luck!

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 pm

I did! In fact I was so intimidated I used sposies for a few weeks until I decided to just jump right in. And after I did I wondered why I was so worked up about it. LoL

Just get into your head that you'll be dumping the pail in the wash every other day. It just becomes part of your rutine and as strange as it sounds, I think most of us would agree that diaper laundry is our favorite kind of laundry!

There's something about a baby in a soft fluffy bum and the darling prints. Not to mention the savings on your pocket book! Buying boxes of diapers constantly sucks. Once you start you'll probably never look back.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering