How should I wash my pocket dipes?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How should I wash my pocket dipes?

Postby BeccaM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:02 pm

After 9 1/2 months of CD'ing with only prefolds and covers, I just got a half dozen Kawaii pockets. So, I just want to make sure I wash them in such a way that I don't wear them out unnecessarily! I almost always hand wash my covers and air dry them, to preserve them.

Here is the basic routine I do with my prefolds:

Swish in toilet, if poopy. Quick cold soak with baking soda or borax and heavy wash; rinse. Hot water soak and wash with detergent and a little bit of washing soda or borax. Double rinse; second time add a splash of white vinegar. I try to dry them on the line when at all possible. If it's raining, I will air dry for a while, and then use the dryer. also, I occasionally use a tiny bit of chlorine free bleach on the PF's, if they smell like ammonia.

Will this routine work for pocket dipes and inserts? Should I wash them separately from the PFs or all together? How about the chlorine free bleach... is that okay, or not?

Thanks for your help!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sassie111 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I spray mine with a diaper sprayer (I love that thing), do a cold rinse, wash on hot, then sometimes I'll run another warm cycle to help rinse.. otherwise rinse till suds free (for some reason it takes a lot of rinsing with my water). I dry my inserts in the dryer and hang the shell to air dry.

Bleach depends on your diapers warranty... I bleach my BG once a month, sometimes sooner if they need it.
Me (Christina) 33, DH 35, DD 14, DS 11, DD 9, DS 3, DD 2
MC ~ Nov. 07', 9 weeks
MC ~ Oct. 11', 11 weeks
Chemical ~ Jan. 12', 4 weeks
ImageMake a pregnancy ticker
sassie111
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ttcintx » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:33 am

I wash my pockets with the same routine as my flats and covers. I started out being real careful with elastic/PUL (not extra hot water, no bleach, line dry, no-additive detergent...) but gave up on that a couple years ago when life got more hectic :P. Now I run everything together in a single hot water cycle, use generic cheapo detergent (or Tide when I have a coupon) add bleach to each wash and dry on med-high.

I have used these pockets for 2-4yrs (and most where bought used so are older than that!) and they will (hopefully!) get me through #3 as well. No leaks, no stinkies, no rashes. So even though I break all the CD washing rules, they have held up just fine for me. I have GMD flats, Thirsties (velcro) covers & Happy Heiny (velcro) pockets.
Me: Louise – 40something
DH: David - older than Me!
Married 14 years
DD: 10/07
DS: 9/09

He's here!! DS2: 6lbs15oz born 10/22/11
ttcintx
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ivycrystals » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:22 am

I use the same routine on my pockets as I do pfs. I hang dry my pockets and then dry them on hot once a month in the dryer to reseal the PUL.
ivycrystals
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:31 am

sassie111 wrote:I spray mine with a diaper sprayer (I love that thing), do a cold rinse, wash on hot, then sometimes I'll run another warm cycle to help rinse.. otherwise rinse till suds free (for some reason it takes a lot of rinsing with my water). I dry my inserts in the dryer and hang the shell to air dry.

^^^ This is our wash routine as well. We also LOVE our diaper sprayer!!!
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Return to Cloth Diapering