just starting to research cloth diapers

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

just starting to research cloth diapers

Postby AlabamaMommy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:12 pm

It's been a long wile since I posted here...(formally bamababy2009)

I've decided I def want to use cloth diapers when #2 comes along and was hoping y'all could give me the good/bad/ugly about all the options...there are soo many it blows my mind and I don't even know where to begin...I'm thinking of using just prefolds when we are out home and AIO's when we are out or the baby will have to be left with someone?? IDK...

P.S. I'm not pregnant...yet...I just want to start ordering diapers as soon as possible after it happens so I have a good stock up when baby comes, nad I just don't even know where to begin. LOL.

TIA
me-23
DH-23
DD-2 (breastfed for 25months :) )
AlabamaMommy
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby sarahmarie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:27 pm

Congrats on your choice to have another baby and to cloth diper once he / she is born! If you want my advice I love one size diapers. They have worked well for both of my babies from the time they were 1st born until they were potty trainning.We use the Bum genius all in one organic and Flips for night time. You just have to find what will work best for you, and be sure to read up on wash routines! Good luck.

sarahmarie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:30 pm

Here is my current routine: prefolds during the day. Fitteds or double stuffed pockets for naps, and double stuffed pockets or AIOs for bed. There was a little while where I was using pockets or AIOs for out and about or for doctor's appointments, but I've started using just prefolds or fitteds since I'm so used to them.

I will be adding more pockets and probably some Flip Stay-Dry inserts now that she is a little older. It's getting harder to get the PFs on her squirmy butt.

I would recommend getting a little bit of everything. I have so many diapers, and I have my clear favorites and my clear NOT favorites. But some of the diapers I don't care for (Goodmama and GroBaby) are other peoples' favorites. It definitely varies for each person!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:14 am

The general consensus is that pfs with covers work best for newborns... After they get a little bigger, they can of course keep using the pf/cover combo (cheapest option), or can switch to others.

I haven't started yet (waiting for baby), but I plan to do the pf/cover combo for nb phase and then switch to a combination of one size options... AI2s (heard good things about grovia, flip, and best bottoms) pocket dipes (heard good things about BG and fuzzibunz). Maybe a few AIOs thrown in there. The problem with AIOs is they take forever to dry.

Also, I heard good things about china diapers like alva baby and sunbaby b/c they are so cheap. But some people think you get what you pay for and that they have no resale value. But it seems like everyone that actually uses them, likes them...?
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:01 am

Congrats on deciding to CD! I would agree with the previous posters. We have a variety of cloth diapers from a variety of brands. We are primarily use prefolds with covers since she is so young and is pooping every 5 minutes it seems, lol. But we have other types as well.

We really like Hybrid (AI2) diapers. We look at them as the best of both worlds. They are cloth diapers for at home use (most of our haves Snap in Soakers like GroVia, Best Bottom brands) but you can also use a disposable liner for when you are out and about.

Pocket diapers are great for nap/bedtime since you can stuff them with as many inserts as needed for absorbency. We like the Charlie Banana brand.

We have all One Size diapers as well. They have been fitting our baby since she was about 7.5lbs and should last her until potty training age. One size diapers will save you money since you don't have to keep buying diapers as your baby grows.
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby photofashionista » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 pm

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. I went cheap and did infant size prefolds with Thirsties Duo covers as a newborn. Later I added in pockets and fitteds of different varieties to see what I liked. In my opinion, prefolds are cheap and super easy. No stuffing pockets after washing, just stack them up flat and voila! ready to go. They are still my go-to diaper while at home. When we're out I usually use a pocket that's stuffed with extra absorbancy. Get a few different kinds here and there or consider doing a trial through a company like Jillian's Drawers to see what you like and what works for your family.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Sisrea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:39 am

A REALLY good place to start for a newbie to CD, is the Jillian drawers trial offer. You can try several different diapers before making a lot of $$ commitment on something that you might not care for.

Since you were wanting a good stash before the baby was born you could just set that money aside and save it til your sure that you will love the brand you try and like and you don't have to worry about having a ton of diapers that you don't love.
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering