Detergent build up? What's your method?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Detergent build up? What's your method?

Postby bistin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:31 pm

My covers and prefolds have recently taken on a teeeerrible smell. They smell clean out of the wash, but as soon as one drop of pee touches the prefold or cover, it could knock me on my butt. I run a cold/cold rinse cycle, then a hot/cold wash with half a scoop of country save and an extra rinse. I can't see into my washer or open it without all the water being drained out first(HE front loader...) so I don't know if the detergent is rinsing out completely.

What do you ladies suggest I do? I have liquid blue dawn and I just picked up some calgon water softener. Do I reduce my detergent and put calgon in the rinse cycle or along with the detergent, or do I put it in the pre-wash rinse cycle? Should I strip with blue dawn and then use calgon in the rinse after?

Thank you.
Me: 20 DH: 21
Proud breastfeeding, free birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing mommy.

bistin
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby Sisrea » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 am

it does sound like you have some build up. And since you cannot see inside the washer it does make it a little difficult.

I have hard water so that is what I do. (you mentioned calgon so i am assuming that you have hard water as well?)

When I was using country save i did the same routine that you did. The only thing tho is with my front loader HE washer i think I only added 1/4 of a scoop of soap.

I really like rockin green soap, Seems like people either love it or hate it but i have had good results with it. It is AWESOME for overnight soaks at the very least!!!

You can strip only using calgon too. You can put your diapers in with just the calgon... Calgon helps with hard water because it allows the soap particles to rinse out instead of sticking to your diapers. It also helps what soap might be trapped in your diapers already.

Here was my wash routine before the girls were PT:
cold/cold rinse with nothing
hot/cold long wash with 1 TBS Rng and calgon
cold rinse with an extra rinse.

I think this might have come out really jumbled but i blame that on preggo brain.. Sorry...
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bistin » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:07 am

The water here is very hard, soap scum and mineral deposits galore... the only reason I didn't try RnG is because of the cost, but I like that they have a hard water version. Maybe I will try it when I'm all out of country save!

So my plan is:
Start with clean diapers
Hot/cold wash with calgon, no detergent
Warm/warm rinse

And do that 3 times for each batch of diapers I have.

Then from that point on:
Cold/cold rinse
Hot/cold wash 1 tbsp country save (most people seem to use a lot less country save than I was...) and calgon
Warm/warm rinse. (I find that detergent rinses out easier with warm water)

I hope this works! DS is going in disposables today while I work on this. D:
Me: 20 DH: 21
Proud breastfeeding, free birthing, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing mommy.

bistin
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby BeccaM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:38 am

I do an extra rinse with vinegar and I occasionally use a small amount of chlorine free bleach in the wash. They still have a slight odor after getting wet, but not bad.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:29 am

I need to try the Calgon. I had some awful buildup a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sure our hard water has somethign to do with it. I haven't tried vinegar, but I read recently that vinegar can make the problem worse with hard water. Maybe someone knows more about that?
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fodla » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:25 am

I use OxyClean in my cold rinse cycle and that seems to really help.
I'm Emma!

DD Jessie, 08/12/11
Current LO EDD 01/03/16
fodla
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering