Baby's First Day

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Baby's First Day

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 am

Has anyone watched this show on TLC? I'm kind of a sucker for it. I like it more than a Baby Story because I've noticed they have a lot more natural/alternative births. Anyway, I was watching yesterday and Pampers obviously sponsors it (I think Pampers has a lot to do with a lot of shows on TLC). No real big deal BUT the one I watched had a cloth diapering family. I don't think they ever outright said they CD, but towards the end there was the close up on the brand new Pampers Swaddlers package, then they showed Mom putting the diaper on the baby...while sitting next to a Snappi, cover, and fitted diaper! It kind of annoyed me. Then I got to thinking, how cool would it be to have a show sponsored by a CD company or two? What would it do to have all the moms at home watching a family change a cloth diaper like it was no big deal?

I just thought it was interesting. I was glad they at least showed the CD paraphernalia, but most people wouldn't have a clue what it all was. It could have been a neat opportunity to show how easy it is to CD.

*excuse my jumbled thoughts...my baby and I have been up since 4:30. Mommy should probably stay off the computer, but I have no coffee and this is keeping me awake. :P
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:19 am

Very interesting thoughts!

I think you're absolutely right. Any baby show featuring CDing families would peak the interest of a LOT of women. I've only been CDing my DD for less than 6 months, but in that time I have undoubtedly sparked interest in my other mom-friends, so much so that at least 2 are planning to CD their next babies!

Could you imagine how many moms who are currently unaware of the recent advancements in cloth diapering style would see how easy it is and consider CDing their own LOs!??
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 am

I know, it's sad to me how unusual CD'ing is. It is making a comeback among a "certain" crowd, but the average family would probably still think it's weird. When did it become the norm to put baby's bottom in disposable, synthetic materials? Most of my younger friends think I am unusual for cloth diapering... disposables are the normal for them. Actually, I get more support talking to thrifty moms and grandmas of a couple of generations ago. They're all for it!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:38 am

BeccaM wrote:Actually, I get more support talking to thrifty moms and grandmas of a couple of generations ago. They're all for it!

You know what, Becca? I found this to be exactly the case IRL when it came to breastfeeding my DD!!! Which is crazy, right?!
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:48 am

I agree. There needs to be more publicity on this topic. No one knows about CD, but, like me, once they learn about it they tend to get pretty open to it!
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Emmo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 am

I have a feeling that it's going to happen, though. I think it's getting more popular.
Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:48 am

BeccaM wrote: Actually, I get more support talking to thrifty moms and grandmas of a couple of generations ago. They're all for it!

My grandma totally supports CD; she can't understand using disposables because they are so expensive. However, she doesn't understand breastfeeding over formula which makes NO sense to me...isn't formula more expensive than diapers (I have no idea...I've never bought it, I just assume)?

And Emmo, I hope you're right. I make a point to change my daughter in front of people when we're at a friend's house (unless it's poopy...I take those to the bathroom so I don't make their houses stink!) just so everyone can see how very easy it is!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:40 pm

I show everyone who will look what a cloth diaper looks like. I can't even tell you how many people are shocked that they are not all pins and such. I get a a lot of, "that's it? it looks so easy" from people. Here I am, educating one person at a time, lol.
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby stuckunderhere » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:12 am

Haha, I've converted many from the thoughts of "You're cloth diapering? With pins and a piece of cloth?" to "omg, thats so cute, what is that? how's it work? Thats it? It just has velcro? Wow! I want my kids to have a cloth bum now!" haha
stuckunderhere
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby fiddlist » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Once I was changing DD1's diaper at a friend's house and he said "oh wow, so it's like a reusable diaper that you can wash...oh wait, a cloth diaper....duh!"
I also think it's sad that it's not more mainstream. People are willing to spend a LOT more money and throw away tons of garbage and expose their babies to all kinds of chemicals just to avoid doing laundry.
Another friend, when I was telling her about one of those newborn poop, change, poop, change, etc. incidents, said "oh, I feel so bad for you, having to wash all those" and I'm thinking, this is exactly why I CD! If I had to pay 25 cents every time she pooped in a diaper that had been on for 10 seconds...well, that's just a waste of money! Another time, she was justifying using sposie wipes and she said "it's only 6 cents a wipe!" and I'm thinking, boy that adds up! I've given up trying to convert her, BTW.
Meg and James
Olivia, born 6/6/09
Emily, born 11/29/11

fiddlist
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering