Prepping & Washing

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Prepping & Washing

Postby ktbug87 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:29 am

I am new to CD, so I am wondering what I need to do in order to prep my diapers for the baby?

We are using fitteds with covers and some AIO's for the newborn stage.

I have a couple of questions.

1. What do I need to do to get them ready?

2. Also, what is the best washing routine to follow?

3. What is your routine when you change baby? Do you just take the CD off and throw it into your pail with an antibacterial liner and then leave it there until you wash it?
Me: 25 (Katie)
DH: 30
DS: (born 2/5/12 at 42w1d via emergency c-section after transfer during home birth)

ktbug87
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:56 pm

For the initial wash, I wash natural fibers separate from synthetics (cotton separate from microfiber, for example). After that, I wash everything together.

I believe you can just wash and use all of your diapers, no real prep needed. Prefolds need several washes to get them to full absorbancy, but I don't think the same applies to fitteds (and I know it doesn't apply to AIOs).

My wash routine is a cold wash/rinse with no detergent, followed by a hot wash/cold rinse with detergent, and then extra rinses until there are no more suds. The detergent you use and how much will likely be trial and error depending on your baby and what kind of water you have (hard or soft...I've found hard water is harder to figure out a good routine for!).

I just take off my CD and throw it in the pail with a wet bag. I put my covers in a separate pail, but I wash them all together. With an EBF baby, you don't need to rinse the diapers or anything. Now that DD is starting on solids, I'm having DH install a diaper sprayer on our toilet. I will just spray off the poopies and then put the sprayed diaper in the pail like before.

Hope that helps!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering