Total newbie w/ questions

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Total newbie w/ questions

Postby Lisa79 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:59 am

Alrighty, so I'm only just barely over 8w pregnant now, but if all goes well, I would like to cloth diaper from the start.
With that being said.... I have absolutely NO idea where to even begin looking for what I want or what's good or anything.

A bit further down the road, I'd really like to start purchasing CDs since I know they can get a bit pricey, but like I said, NO idea what I'm even looking for.

Any advice, and suggestions on info.. just anything would be nice. I'd love to do as much research as I can and get as many opinions as possible before settling on one thing.

Also... how exactly do you clean cloth diapers? Like when there's a lot of poop... do you erm.. scrape the excess in the trash? Down the sink?
How do you get the stains out? Hell, I have problems getting stains off of socks... I can't imagine having to get pee or poo stains out.

And, how many CD should one have? Being that this will be our first, I don't know how many diapers a baby is going to go through in a day so.. yeah. Just a rough idea would be good :)
Lisa: 36 DH: 37
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
#2 took a little more than a year, random irregular cycles, Oren born 3/9/15
#3 surprise baby! Due August 12th 2016 :)
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:32 pm

There are some sites that do trial packs of diapers. You pay a certain amount for several diapers, then keep and pay for the ones you want to keep after trying them out. I know Jillians Drawers does it, not sure of the others.

I didn't do that, I just got a large variety of diapers right from the beginning--prefolds, pockets, fitteds, contours, all in ones. Having a variety of brands has also been helpful. As my daughter grows, different diapers fit her better. She goes through stages where her different diapers don't seem to hold anything in, and then stages where they fit her fantastic.

For the newborn stage, I really loved prefolds and covers and a few fitteds for night time. At the newborn stage you want at least 24, and honestly I think closer to 30 us better. That should give you plenty for every other day washing. After that, 20-24 should be enough.

As far as the poo, you don't have to do anything with EBF poo--it washes right out. If you use formula or when you start solids, you may need to do more, like rinse it or plop it in the toilet. My DD is still primarily BF with some solids, and we can still get away with just straight washing. We will be getting a diaper sprayer soon though (it attaches to your toilet and you can just spray the poo right in).

Washing is pretty simple. My routine is a cold wash/rinse with no detergent, a hot wash/rinse with detergent, and then an extra rinse. There are several detergents that are good for cloth diapering, it will just come down to figuring out the right one and amount for your particular situation.

If you hang your wet, stained diapers in the sun, the stains come right out. My diapers are seriously blinding after they have been out in the sun for a few hours.

It's good you're starting so early--there are so many options when it comes to cloth these days. It is completely overwhelming in the beginning, but learning as much as you can while pregnant will be a huge advantage. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi Lisa, Congrats on your pregnancy! This is a great board to come to with diapering questions, there will always be advice!

My suggestion would be to do as much research as you possibly can. When I was pregnant, I read a TON about cloth diapering and basically googled everything to find out about the different types, brands and washing.

I would also suggest to buy a few different brands and types of diapers to figure out which ones you like best once you put them on baby. I bought Hybrid (diapers with a soaker that goes in- usually by snap- and you can just replace the soaker when it gets soiled and use the outer shell over and over again. You can also use disposable inserts with Hyrbids) Pockets (where you stuff the pocket with an insert usually made of cotton, hemp, bamboo) All-in-one diapers also known as AIO. (These diapers are the most like disposables since there is no stuffing involved- easy, yet more pricey) and Prefolds with covers (the most economical of cloth diapering. You fold the prefold and place into a waterproof cover) I thought for sure that I would like one type, but I find myself going to another type as my "go to" diaper.

Depending on how often you want to do laundry is how many diapers you will need. You will want to get as many diapers as your baby poops/pees in one day if you plan on doing laundry every day, or as much as he/she poops/pees in 2 days if you are doing laundry every two days. I have about 40 diapers (not to mention the 24 prefolds and 6 covers I used when she was a newborn)- that being said, I went a little overboard and bought a ton when I was pregnant. Cloth diapering can be addictive, lol. You could easily get away with half that amount.

For laundry, it's really quite easy. I do a cold rinse with no detergent, followed by a hot wash with detergent and then another cold rinse. I dry all of my inserts in the dryer, and hang dry all of my shells/covers.

You need to get a laundry soap that is cloth diaper approved. We use soap nuts and we love them (use them for all of her laundry as well) You can NOT use any fabric softeners.

They have products out there that make washing easier as well. Diaper Sprayers are awesome! Just attach to your toilet, spray the diaper before putting it in the laundry bag and it helps with stains. Many companies also have flushable liners you can place in the diaper which helps with the poop. If you do have stains, sticking the diaper in the sun does wonders!

Hope this helps. :)

~Nicole
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby Lisa79 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks ladies for the info :) Really helpful and informative.
Going to start my google research on all of this tomorrow heh.

If I think of anymore questions I know where to come :)
Lisa: 36 DH: 37
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
#2 took a little more than a year, random irregular cycles, Oren born 3/9/15
#3 surprise baby! Due August 12th 2016 :)
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby elbee » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:59 pm

I'm in the same boat as you Lisa, I want to cloth diaper but am trying to wade through all of the information to see what to buy/try, how much to get, and what people prefer. I am actually bidding on an eBay auction tonight for 10 AIOs that are used from a family owned diaper service that are closing their doors. The diapers are Coola Baby brand which I haven't heard much about, so I'm thinking they aren't exceptional, but they are apparently good enough for a diaper service to use. I know I want to try bumGenius and a couple of other good brands, and prefolds with covers, but the auction for 10 diapers is in the $30 range, and the same seller has a listing for the same type of 10 one size AIO diapers with a "Buy it Now" price of $40 with $8 shipping. I mean, even though they are used and might not, or rather will probably not, be the brand I will prefer, 10 one size AIO diapers for less than 5 bucks apiece is a great deal, and I'm sure I will use them at some point! If I end up hating them I can always resell them and it won't be a huge loss. She is also selling used prefolds at a cheap price too. I think I will keep browsing eBay from time to time in case other good deals come up from people who are done with their gently used cloths. It's better than buying a bunch of new ones and then deciding I don't like them!
Me-31 DH-31
DD - 6-11-12
After 2+ years, 4IVFs, all of the "fun" that comes with IF, and nearly considering "other options," we FINALLY brought home our first miracle! THANK GOD!
ImageImage
elbee
Angel
Angel

Postby HoneyBees7 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:25 pm

I am curious, also, and on a tight budget. I came across econobums today, and think I will purchase some for my DD who is 18 months. I am so tired of paying thousands of dollars for disposables a year.

I am going to read through a bunch of these posts on here and try to educate myself on cloth diapers... It does seem daunting!
Open minded, Freethinking, researching nut case.
HoneyBees7
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flygirl44 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:13 am

It does seem a little overwhelming in the beginning, but once you learn about all the different types, it's becomes second nature. Do any of you have a store near you that you can go to and see and touch all the diapers. Hands on really helps! :)

~Nicole

Oh- and enter my giveaway on my blog. If you win, it will get you started with 2 free diapers, lol. :) Yay free!
www.tummy2bummydiapers.blogspot.com
Me (Nicole)-35 :love: DH40

ImageImage
ImageImage
flygirl44
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:22 am

It is overwhelming, but once you get started, not so bad. My DH and I decided on doing green mountain diaper prefolds and Thirsties covers. We bought 4 covers in size 1 and 3 in size 2 (fit him around 5 - 6 months). We still do prefolds even now, at almost 14 months, except I do Kawaii pocket diapers (found 'em cheap on Ebay) with two inserts for nighttime.

The wash cycle is simple. Cold wash, hot soak an dwash with borax & detergent, double rinse with vinegar. I hang them up on the rack or outside whenever possible, to save energy and wear and tear. And the sun is awesome for getting out stains. I generally handwash the covers, or wash them seperately on delicate cycle, since I am trying to get my money's worth and have almost new stuff for the next baby.

It's all pretty simple, the way I did it, anyway! :D Good luck!
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Beegee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Hey Lisa!

Yeah, I totally found it overwhelming as well, when I first started reading about CDs online! I had no other option though; none of my friends IRL cloth diaper. So the internet was a fantastic resource! Honestly I learned the most from this forum here on TWW, starting with that sticky full of info for noobs:) Taught me the diff between prefolds/fitteds/pockets/AIOs. Oh yeah, and i didn't start CDing DD til she was almost a year old... so this time around will be a whole new experience with a newborn.

Originally, for DD I had a 5-pack of Kushies AIOs that I received as a gift off my registry (BRU here in Canada only has Kushies products for CDing and that's where I registered) and honestly I was so put-off by CDs when they finally fit my DD. She'd pee and then the cotton was literally soaked and she'd just be sitting there, with her bottom soaked in urine, unless I checked and changed her every 5 mins. Certainly couldn't leave the house with her in a cloth dipe like that. Not realistic! My "gateway" diaper into the CDing world ended up being a cheaply made pocket diaper. I loved it! I couldn't believe how different it was from the Kushies-- the pee just went right thru the fleece and soaked into the insert, and DD's bottom was dry! I was hooked. I ended up buying about 15 one size "china cheapie" pockets and starting from there.

I now love fitteds and am having fun with wool and fleece covers. I've learned over time that I can't stand velcro for a few reasons even though some mamas swear by it. You'll find what you like and dislike too! I've also learned that, for my heavy-wetting DD, I have to stick to bamboo and hemp fibres for decent absorbancy, and that microfibre is completely useless to me unless I want to change her 3 times an hour. But then again, I've seen mamas rave about microfibre, so it'll be different for everyone.

And as for washing routines, I do similar to what PP do... cold rinse/wash cycle with no dtergent, followed by a long, "heavy duty" hot cycle with 2 cold rinses built into the wash program. But I just use whatever HE detergent I buy on sale-- I've never used a 'cloth diaper friendly' detergent. So Kirkland brand, Tide, Purex, etc. Works for me! No fabric softener. AND I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE MY DIAPER SPRAYER!!!! Best $50 I ever spent, haha.
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby elbee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

I'm loving all of this info! Beegee, I was totally wondering how those China cheepies were while browsing on eBay. I figured it was a you get what you pay for type of situation, and then I read a review saying the Sunbaby ones were good but stay away from the Babyland brand. What kind are yours? It's worth trying the cheepies if they work!

What is the difference between prefolds and fitteds? Also, what works better for you ladies, diaper pins or Snappis?
Me-31 DH-31
DD - 6-11-12
After 2+ years, 4IVFs, all of the "fun" that comes with IF, and nearly considering "other options," we FINALLY brought home our first miracle! THANK GOD!
ImageImage
elbee
Angel
Angel

Postby Beegee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:19 am

Hey Elbee,

I'm totally a fan of the China cheapies. I recently bought a "Perfect Fit" Fuzzibunz pocket just to try out, and it is just so awful... I was so disappointed. It's more irritating to stuff (the inside of the FB is a stickier PUL, so harder to slide the insert in), and although I thought I'd love having a "higher quality" pocket, I find it's just 3 times the price and the fit is absolutely no better and I still need to stuff it with my own bamboo inserts because they only come with microfibre. But of course, maybe on another baby the fit would be gold and absorbancy perfect (gotta love a disclaimer! :lol: ). All I know is that I'm glad I got it on sale, as it now just sits in the laundry basket and only gets used on occasion. I'm still glad I bought it though; otherwise I'd always be wondering if I should have spent more money on 'better quality' pockets. And as a sidenote, FB used to be manufactured in China anyways, but are now outsourced to Turkey though I still read plenty of complaints about them on CDing forums. But again-- some people just adore them, so this is all just my opinion.

As for which cheapie brands to try out, for me it's not so much the brand as it is that I absolutely need at least 3 snaps on sides/wings to do them up-- ie. 2 upper and one below. A lot of the Babyland dipes only have the 2 snaps up top, so I'd pass on those-- without bottom row snaps, once the baby gets bigger and moving around, you start getting "wing droop" and the dipe doesn't stay up properly. So look for 3 snaps on each side of the diaper.

I don't have any, but I've read TONS of awesome reviews on AlvaBaby dipes. Sunbaby too, but because of the rave reviews on Alvababies and the fact you can order a bunch of apparently-super-soft-and-absorbant bamboo inserts from them, I'm thinking next time I order a bunch I'll go with that company and the bamboo inserts.

Regardless of all my opinions/experiences above, in the end you'll want to try out a few of each style, different brands, etc., til you find what you love and what works for your LO as it gets bigger. That's why I like buying cheap or secondhand. There are great opportunities online to buy secondhand, great condition dipes too for fantastic prices, plus it helps other mamas recover some costs:)

Just some thoughts!
Me: 35, DH: 36. DD1 born June 18th, 2010. DD2 born April 12th, 2012. Baby #3 EDD Sept 16, 2014:)
Beegee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby elbee » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for sharing all of that info! I bought a few of Alva Baby diapers for about $5 apiece including shipping yesterday so I can try those. I want to try Sunbaby too, but they seem to come in really cute designs but less gender neutral designs/colors. We're team green so unless I see more at some point that are more neutral then I'll just buy a handful when the baby is born to try. I do want to try BG too, but who knows, I might end up liking the cheapies better! I am going to try prefolds with covers also since some people prefer those over pockets or AIOs, so I might as well give it a whirl. I definitely agree that I should try a variety and see what works best for us, and then buy more of what we like!
Me-31 DH-31
DD - 6-11-12
ImageImage
elbee
Angel
Angel

Return to Cloth Diapering