I think I'm gonna give it a try!

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

I think I'm gonna give it a try!

Postby scmeg72 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am

I am seriously considering cloth diapers. This will be my fist baby- due in July and we are very excited! I love the whole concept of cloth, but whenever I mention it to someone with children or really anyone they think I am CRAZY. One lady who is a L&D nurse sais she tried cloth 12 years ago and just hated it and she spent a ton of money. I guess I just need a little reassurance. I think I would probably be a "hybrid" momma, as DH doesnt think carrying around dirty diapers when out and about sounds appealing, so I think I would keep some sposies on hand as well. I am thiking of ordering one the "trial" cloth things when I get close to due date. Also was wondering if anyone has experience with the Bummis starter kit? It doesnt seem outrageously priced for the amount of prefolds and other stuff you get. I do want to start buying stuff now to make the initial cost not seem so shocking, but I have no idea how much of each size to get. Even though I have no experience i think I am leaning towards prefolds with wipeable covers for 75% of the time with some one size AIOs and pockets to have as well. Any advice is welcome :? Even though I am starting to "grasp" the lingo and everything, when I actually go to think about ordering stuff- I feel lost.....

Oh and whats the deal with the good mama stuff? It is really cute, but are they worth what they cost??
Me: Megan (27) DH: John (37)
BFP November 7, 2011 - think this is my sticky bean!
8 months TTC #1 -

Early mc Sept 2, 2011

2 Furbabies- Butler (4) weimaraner, Gunner (3) German Shorthaired Pointer

scmeg72
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 am

Awesome! It's seriously not that bad. I used disposables with my oldest and have used cloth on my youngest since she was born; I can honestly say it's not any more difficult and it is a lot more fun. And people are pretty surprised when they actually see cloth in action. The idea of cloth and the actuality of it is usually quite different. And I've found that the people who tried it but didn't like it didn't have the resources they needed. For example, I've heard of a lot of people using the Gerber prefolds and then saying cloth didn't work for them. Gerber prefolds are NOT what the cloth diapers of today are, not at all.

I really like prefolds. They are soft, wash easily, and are economical. My favorite is Green Mountain Diapers prefolds. They aren't the cheapest prefolds, but they still only run about $30ish for a dozen--not bad at all! As far as how many, I really think 24-30 newborn diapers is ideal. After that, you could probablly get by with about 20, but I feel better having more on hand (I've never run short on diapers, but I have an excessive amount). I would get at LEAST 4 newborn covers, and honestly, 6 is probably better. 3-4 in the larger sizes is fine. I like the Thirsties Duo covers because they cover 2 sizes in one cover--very economical! My daughter is just outgrowing her size 1s at 9 months.

You can check out diaperswappers for used diapers. Most of my pockets were bought used and it saved me a ton of money.

As far as the Goodmamas...I don't think they are worth the money. I have one that was gifted to me, and while it's cute and soft, it's not my favorite diaper. I don't like how bulky it is, honestly. It's the one I reach for when my favorites are dirty (I really like my one size DryBees fitteds--they are more trim, just as absorbant, and they fit my daughter better). But I know a lot of people like them. It's all about personal preference. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lyk2scrap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am

I am too. Would love to hear more discussion on what everyone recommends. ETA: I have changed this a couple time and I did place an order at Green Mountain Diapers. This is what I bought:

(12)Cloth-Eez Newborn Prefolds (Orange)
(12) Cloth-Eez Small Prefolds (Yellow)
(12) Newborn Workhorse fitted
( 18 ) Small Doublers
(4) Snappi Fasteners
(5) Size One Thirstie DuoWrap Covers
(1) Little Bee Wool Cover Size 1 (for night-time)

Do you have problems at night with newborns? Do you use pins or snappis or not at all? Do you use doublers in a prefold? I have a bunch of Hemp French Terry Cloth fabric that I thought I could make some extras doublers out of. (I had made a bunch of my own diapers with my last pregnancy and had lots left over--but then didn't even give it a week before I quit CDing her). Do you think that I need to add some Sunbaby's Pockets (heard good things about them) or some fitted diapers? Will this be a good start?

Opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for asking Megan! Thanks for your opinion Stephanie--I took so long to post my original post that I didn't see yours first.
Amber

Mom to Aaron (20), Camron (17), Reagan (9), Quinn ( 8 ), Meika (3), and expecting new little surprise GIRL in Apr/'12

lyk2scrap
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 pm

I snappi my prefolds--very easy!

Night time with newborns is pretty easy, actually. They wake so often, that I really had no issue with leaks until she was a bit older. I don't bother with doublers with the prefolds since I only use those during the day--I just change every couple of hours. If we go out, I use a fitted with a soaker since they're more absorbant and I can usually get 3-4 hours of use without her needing to be changed now that she doesn't nurse as often.

I haven't used the cloth-eze fitteds, but I've heard good things about them.

....just saw your update, lyk2scrap! Yes, that looks like a good start! It will get you through for the first few weeks, at least. You'll want to add some more size small/one size dipes, but as far as the newborn days go you should be covered. 6 Sunbabys is probably a good number to start with since they aren't very expensive. You'll probably find yourself adding bits throughout the rest of your pregnancy and after the baby is born. My biggest tip would just be variety--your baby might go through phases of fitting great into one diaper, and then will suddenly not fit anymore in something s/he did. And you'll find yourself reaching towards one particular diaper more than others, too, without really being able to say WHY you prefer it. :wink:

My stash for my 9-month old includes about 14 pockets (my favorites for night), several fitteds (fitteds are my go-to for naps and when we are out), a couple of hybrids, a couple all-in-ones (I like them but I line dry and they take FOREVER to dry), and some GMD prefolds (my favorite for hanging out at home).
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lyk2scrap » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks Stephanie. Good to know. I went ahead and ordered the Sunbaby's too--can't beat $45 for 6 of them with inserts! I am really excited about CDing--course I was last pregnancy too which really scares me that I will be a CD failure 2 times around. But I am committed to making this work! I will definately pick up some fitteds in a small size--maybe even more workhorses--we'll see how I like them. Can't beat the price of them either at $4.95 ea. Glad to see you've heard good things! Thanks for chiming in!
Amber

Mom to Aaron (20), Camron (17), Reagan (9), Quinn ( 8 ), Meika (3), and expecting new little surprise GIRL in Apr/'12

lyk2scrap
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering