Best Bottoms on a newborn

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Best Bottoms on a newborn

Postby BandLady » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi everyone -

My little guy is due next month and DH and I really like the Best Bottom diapers (we had a consultation with a local small CD business last night and got to play around with all different types). Does anyone have any experience with Best Bottoms and a newborn? DH had terrible reactions to disposables when he was a baby, so we're erring on the side of caution and want to be ready to CD this guy from day one, so I don't want to rely on "just use disposable newborn diapers" as a fallback.

Is there something that you used with a newborn that you really liked? Please share!

Thanks!
Me (Heather) - 29 DH - 31

TTC June '09 - July '11

IUIs (9/10-5/11) - All :bfn:
IVF/ICSI # 1 (July '11) - :bfp: :D

BandLady
Angel
Angel

Postby Sisrea » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:45 pm

:hi:

I haven't used best bottoms on a newborn before but used them on the girls when they were older. In my opinion, i think they would probably be a bit big on a newborn still (most onesize diapers are). The inserts also tend to slide around quite a bit, i don't know how much they would slide around on a newborn tho. You will need enough covers for each time they poo for the early days because it won't stay clean enough to reuse it with EBF poo... I do have some small inserts and will be using them as soon as they fit the babe, tho.

For the early days we are planning on using mostly prefolds with thirsties duo covers, i have 2 dozen prefolds, and then a few newborn AIO's for outings and then a few newborn fitteds for night times as well. After that we are planning on moving into a one sized diapers

I have heard really good things about these nb fitteds, http://www.clothandcarry.com/item_145/D ... iapers.htm
Me- 29
DH-30
MC'd 11/06; 06/07; and 10/07
DD 1&2 Born 1/26/09
Check out my WAHM store burp rags and bibs in very fun prints, like Star Wars and Mustaches!! I also do custom work! Check out our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BittiBottomDesigns

ImageImage

Sisrea
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:05 pm

We CD'ed from a week old on, and definitely will do it from day one next time...we just didn't know how easy CD'ing is!

I used newborn sized prefolds and covers, and we still primarily use prefolds and covers even now at 14 1/2 months old. It's the most economical and also the easiest to clean and fastest to dry. They're not quite as absorbent, but with a newborn, that doesn't really matter. They don't pee much.

In my experience, my son the first few months (being breastfed and all) needed to be changed a lot. They're always peeing and pooping a little bit. It can get expensive and difficult to do all AIOs very early on, when they need so many changes and are so small to fit (and growing so fast!).

When he was 9 months old, I bought our first pocket diapers, having used PFs up until then. I now use BumGenius and Kawaii pockets double stuffed at night, and PFs throughout the day.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering