Q&A

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Q&A

Postby Labamby » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 am

Hello Ladies, I was hoping you all could help me out w/ my questions.

So far, I've ordered 6 perfect fit (size small) fuzzibunz w/ inserts, 4 flip covers, 12 prefolds, 2 snappis and some laundry detergent from Cottonbabies.com. I had heard a lot about how great they are but I haven't been impressed with them so far, AT ALL. I ordered my diapers on Tuesday and they STILL haven't shipped. I will probably never order from them again unless I want to pay the extra for express shipping. Really disappointing. Anyone else had this experience?

I'm planning on buying some more things/diapers in the coming weeks. I still need to purchase a wet bag, a diaper pail, diaper pail liners, more prefolds in different sizes, more covers and....I think that's it. Am I missing anything obvious?

Also, I have a couple (aka, many) questions-

1. Do you have a diaper pail that is specifically made for cloth diapers?

2. Do you use the wet pail method and why do you prefer it over the dry? Or vice versa.

3. Do any of you just use a hanging wet bag instead of a diaper pail? Will it contain smells if I am thoroughly washing diapers off before they go in there?

4. How many snappis do you recommend?

5. What is your favorite cloth diaper place to order from?

6. Also, what would YOU add to this stash? =)

TIA!!!
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby stefanielynn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Wow, I'm surprised Cotton Babies is taking their time on shipping. They've always been REALLY fast for me. :/ As for your questions:

Nope. I just have a regular diaper pail. I think Safety 1st makes it. It has a flip lid, so I just put my pail liner in there and close the lid. It's worked great, though I wish it were a little bigger. It can get REALLY full by laundry day!

2. Do you use the wet pail method and why do you prefer it over the dry? Or vice versa.
I use the dry pail, and have never had an issue with stink or stains. I prefer the dry method since it's so easy. I just take the bag out and toss it all in the wash, and I don't need to worry about the abby getting into the wet pail (drowning hazard).

3. Do any of you just use a hanging wet bag instead of a diaper pail? Will it contain smells if I am thoroughly washing diapers off before they go in there?
I use the pail, but I've heard of lots who use the hanging method with no problem, especially with EBF newborns--no stink!

I always have 3. They are good for 6 months or until they start to break down (the pully tabs tend to break after several months). Having three on hand ensures I can always find one!

I love dealing with greenmountaindiapers.com. They have flat rate shipping (not as good as Cotton Babies free shipping, obviously, but it's still a good deal), and they've always sent out my orders quickly. Once I ordered something (a pail liner, actually) in a color that was sold out and they CALLED ME to let me know and to ask if I'd like a refund or a different color. Very good customer service!

Is this just for a newborn or all of babyhood? For a newborn, I would definitely get some more prefolds and/or fitteds. I totally recommend 24-30 (preferably closer to 30!) diapers for the newborn stage since they are constantly pooping and peeing. After that, I'd recommend 20-24 diapers for every other day washing. My personal preferences are: pockets and/or AIOs for nighttime, prefolds during the day, and fitteds for naps and while out and about. You may want to throw in another cover or two for the newborn stage, too. I don't know how well the Flip covers fit a newborn, but generally one size diapers run a little big until baby gets over 10-12 pounds. So you may consider some newborn sized covers or Thirsties Duo Wraps (the size 1 covers NB and small--I love them since they have the extra leg gussets that do a great job of containing runny EBF poo!).
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KimmyH » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:13 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the Fluffy side!

I use a small trashcan with a lid from Walmart and a pail liner. I have a tiny foot pedal trash with a removable bucket next to the toilet with the diaper sprayer for poopies.

No, dry pail is easier and better for your diapers, especially elastic!

I considered it, but I think the air circulation is better for preventing stinkies. You only need to spray off poopy diapers after your baby starts solids... no need to pre-rinse pee or EBF poop diapers!

If you were using all prefolds, flats and closureless diapers, you might want 3 on hand. I just have a couple and that was plenty.

Where ever the best sales and free shipping are :D I check Nickisdiapers.com, Momsmilkboutique.com, Sweetangeldiapers.com, fluffycheeks.com... obviously Im not a very loyal customer, LOL!

I think you still need some more diapers. You need about 30-36 in newborn size and 24 in larger sizes or OS in order to comfortably go 2 days between diaper laundry. Have you considered a rental or trial program? Kissedbythemoon.com, kellyscloset.com and I am sure many more sites offer these "try before you buy" programs.
Me 29 DH 34 married 5/12/2007

Julia Paige 2/15/2010 6lbs 2oz 19in
Clara Madison 5/7/2012 7lbs 8oz 19.25in

ImageImage
KimmyH
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Labamby » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Thank you for the advice and recommendations, ladies!

I have pretty much decided on the hanging wet bag w/ a wet/dry bag for out and about. Not a one of you ladies on TWW have recommended it and I only saw one blog that talked about it. Plus, I want to keep my diapers in good condition for as long as possible, I don't want bacteria growing on my dipes or the added work of lugging around a pail full of water.

I am definitely adding more to my stash. This was like a "starter" order. Which, I'm glad I did because I do not like Cotton Babies and will not order from there again unless I absolutely can't resist a deal or want to pay extra for faster shipping and priority on inventory.

I didn't mention this in my OP but, we are going to use up all of the NB sposies we have before we make the switch to cloth. I may just grab some used thirsties duo covers off of ebay or something but that's just because I can't wait to get started with cloth...plus, I want to master the poop pocket with my prefolds before I make the total switch.

Thank you again! I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions!
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby BeccaM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 am

1. Do you have a diaper pail that is specifically made for cloth diapers? I just use a flip lid trash can.

2. Do you use the wet pail method and why do you prefer it over the dry? Or vice versa. Dry. I used the wet pail at first, and while perhaps it kept the poopies from drying on and the stink down, it was a huge pain to get the diapers in the washing machine. Maybe someone else has some tips?

3. Do any of you just use a hanging wet bag instead of a diaper pail? Will it contain smells if I am thoroughly washing diapers off before they go in there? I have one, but I've never used it. I just stuck with the dry pail. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it! :P

I had a 3 pack and used them a lot when DS was smaller. When he was about 8 or 9 months, I stopped using Snappis. They were getting uncomfortable for him. At that point, I just folded up the diaper inside the cover.

5. What is your favorite cloth diaper place to order from? I bought my original stash from www.greenmountaindiapers.com but now I have bought diapers off Ebay and gotten used ones from friends. I like GMD prefolds--they are sturdy. We do mostly PFs so I like ones that hold up!

6. Also, what would YOU add to this stash? =) If you're going to be CD'ing full time, I would definitely get more PFs. They go through a lot early on, with pooping and peeing so often. We did only PFs for 9 months! When your baby gets older, I recommend some one size fits all pocket diapers, for overnight, when they start wetting heavier. I have Kawaii (cheaper) and BumGenius and I prefer the BumGenius, but Kawaii works too.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering