help please

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

help please

Postby kristen2154 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:37 am

Ok hi everyone!!
Im a little overwhelmed. I want to cd never have and thix is my fourth! I want a good aio and a good one for newborns.
I also would like it to be organic. Does the aio come in those cute little paTterns or are they usually plain?
What about fleece?
Also what type of insert xo u buy with a. Aio?
Ahh help
me-kristen,nurse 27 DH-33
DS Cameron 9- (12/12/2002) Dx autism, inutero stroke
DD Arianna-7- (02/20/2005)
DS-4 Brayden-4 (1/12/2008)
One on the way! Dec 24th 2012!
ImageImage

kristen2154
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Labamby » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:05 am

Someone else can chime in on the things that I don't know but I'll answer what I can :)

An AIO means that you don't have to add an insert because it's sewn in. AIO's come in cute patterns, or plain. Some of the AIO's that can be used for newborns are BumGenius NB AIO. There are others, but I've heard good things 9 times out of 10 about these. They aren't organic though, I don't think.

If you want a pocket (one that you stuff with an insert), then you can buy any kind of insert you like. Microfiber, bamboo, minky, etc. Everyone has different preferences...I like the minky myself.

Now, no matter if you buy a pocket or an AIO, you can buy them either "sized" or "one-size". A diaper specifically for newborns is an example of a sized. One size will fit between 8-35 or so lbs. Most one-size diapers will not fit a newborn depending on the size/shape of baby. The Fuzzibunz One Size Elite fit my newborn when he was 6lbs 11oz. It was a little bulky but no leaks at all. I really, really love my Elites!

A fleece layer is usually added to give a "stay dry" effect. Depending on the kind of AIO/pocket diaper that you buy, it could already have a fleece liner. I think the BG newborn AIO are suedecloth but I could be wrong.

I don't buy organic so, can't really help you there.

I just started cloth diapering 7 weeks ago, so not long at all but I wanted to help...it can be so overwhelming (the research) and if you can wade through all of the info, you won't be disappointed. I love cloth diapering! =)
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Postby kates » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:33 pm

AIO =aill in one- it works similar to a disposible diaper, put it on, take it off, toss it in the wash. There is no stuffing of inserts necessary.

For newborn AIO- BG (bum genius) XS, Swaddlebees (SB) simplex newborn, and RaR (rumparooz) little joey, are your best bets. BGs only have two patterns, and the rest are solids with a decent color palliate. The SB offer more patterns and limited solids. RaRs offer more patterns and colors. The simplex soaker is made of cotton. The BG and RaR are not organic, rather the insert is made of microfiber (MF) with a microsuede or microfleece outer that touches baby. Both wick moisture away from baby.

If you really want an organic AIO, it's going to be BG elements, it's a OS (one size) with organic cotton sewn in. The down side of it is the cotton takes a really long time to dry in comparison to MF. Also, on a smaller baby, the OS can be really bulky. I prefer sized diapers to OS. I really like the Blueberry (BB) basix and SB simplex for a sized AIO. Not many companies make sized AIOs probably because it's cheaper just to make OS. BG used to make sized AIOs, but stopped making them in 2011 and made everything OS with the exception of the xs AIO.

Many online stores offer a trial program to see what brand and style that you like best. If you're completely new to CDing, I'd suggest looking into a trial program, or possibly buying used to determine what is going to work best for you.
~Katie~
momma to Alexa-5/09, our IVF baby
Surprise BFP! 4/15/12
:hb: at 6w3d, measuring perfectly!
Tyler Scott- due Christmas Day!
kates
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering