Washing new diapers help please

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Washing new diapers help please

Postby Lisa79 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 am

Could someone post up a step by step on how to wash new cloth diapers please?

Just spell it all out. What to do, what temp, when to add in the detergeant, etc etc.
I can never seem to find a really good guide on google. Usually just instructions on how to wash already used/soiled ones.

Also... for new diapers, I have Kawaii OS pocket diapers. Should I wash the outter cover with the inserts? Or should I wash seperate?
Once the diapers are being used.... once again, seperate or is it ok to wash the cover and inserts together?

Any help would be awesome!
Lisa: 36 DH: 37
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
#2 took a little more than a year, random irregular cycles, Oren born 3/9/15
#3 surprise baby! Due August 12th 2016 :)
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rosebudd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:13 pm

I hope I can help - here goes :)

1. How to wash your diapers before you use them depends on the type of diapers:
Pre-folds need to be washed and dried about 3 times to "fluff" them up and maximize absorbency.
Others (pockets, AIO etc) need to be washed once before using them.
Wool is different. I've never tried wool, so I am not sure how to care for them.

2.Here is how I wash my diapers (new and dirty, except for the prefolds, which I wash and dry 3 times when brad new).
1) Do a pre-wash cycle. Your machine probably has a setting for it - otherwise you can let the machine fill up and then open the lid so you can soak the diapers for a little while (10-20min). Then close lid and let the water rinse out (if you don't have a pre-wash cycle, just move the knob straight to rinse. NOTE: I don't do this with new diapers - just the dirty ones as it helps remove stains.
2) Do a normal wash on a "large" setting. Everything I've read says you need a full load of water, even though the diapers won't fill up the whole machine, so set it to "Large" or "heavy". Add only a small amount of detergent, as adding to much will cause your diapers to leak. A little goes a long way. Wash inserts SEPERATELY from the diapers (pull them apart).
3). I usually do an extra rinse cylcle at the end, just to make sure all the soap is out of the diapers.
4). Dry. I dry my inserts/pre-folds etc in the dryer, but I hang my covers and anything else made of PUL, as they are supposed to last longer that way. I do dry them in the dryer occasionally, and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

I usually pre-wash and wash in warm or hot and then rinse in cold.

Hope this helps. Everyone develops their own routine, so you will end up doing what works for you. But, with new diapers, just skip the pre-wash and do the rest of it and you will be ready :)
Me: 34 DH: 31 DS: May 2009 DS: August 2012
#3 Coming Soon!!!!- EDD July 18, 2014 - It's A Girl!
Rosebudd
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby Rosebudd » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:15 pm

One more thing - with your pocket diapers, you can wash the inserts in the same load as the covers, but you need to pull the insert out of the pocket so they get cleaned properly. That's what I meant by "separately".
Rosebudd
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:46 am

I do my wash routine a little bit different.

I agree that with pockets, you need just one wash to "prep" the diaper. Prefolds are an entirely different thing, though, so you'll definitely want to ask about them if you go that route.

My wash routine:
Cold wash with no detergent
Hot wash with detergent (the amount of detergent you need will be dependent on your water. When living in NC, I used hardly any--soft water. Now, in TX, I use MORE than the recommended amount--very hard water. You may have to experiment!)
Rinse until the bubbles are gone. Usually just one extra, sometimes two.
I normally hang dry everything, but my line is currently out of commission. So right now I hang dry wetbags, covers, AIOs, pocket outers...anything with PUL and/or elastic.

Also, when my pockets are soiled, I throw them in whole, inserts and all. I have an old school top loader with a center agitator, though, so the agitator works the inserts out during the first cold wash.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks so so much ladies for the information!!!
Going to start washing diapers now :D Fun fun hehe

Oh another question... I have bamboo diapers as well. I've read that they require more washes at the beginning to become absorbant so will wash seperately.
But once that's done and diapers are in use... do I still have to wash the bamboo diapers seperate or is it ok to wash them along w/ microfiber ones?
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Rosebudd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:11 am

I am not 100% sure, since I don't have any bamboo diapers, but I THINK they are treated like the cotton prefolds. Once you prep them (about 3 washes/dryings) to make them absorbant, you should be able to wash the dirty ones with everything else. I haven't heard of anything, except wool, that can't just be washed all in the same way once it is dirty.

Have fun with your washing - I remember getting all mine ready before my first was born :) It's fun!
Rosebudd
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:07 am

Yes, you can wash them all together once the prep is done. I have bamboo, cotton, microfiber, PUL, and hemp all in each diaper load. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone SOOOOO much!
All the washing is done for now. PHEW! hehe
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering