Absorption problem with pockets

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Absorption problem with pockets

Postby BeccaM » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm

I could use some help from those who have experienced this problem! My Kawaii snap pockets have been less and less absorbent than they were at first. It's to the point now that whenever my son wears one (he is partly potty trained so only wears them at naptimes, usually), they leak out and wet his pants :(. Is there anything I can do to help them? I have never stripped my pocket diapers. Is that what they need?

Our wash routine: Heavy cold wash with borax or baking soda and natural oxygen bleach. Heavy hot wash and sometimes soak with detergent. Rinse twice on cold, second time with a small amount of white vinegar. I often line or rack dry vs using the dryer, though we do both.

Any tips??
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Absorption problem with pockets

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

Definitely sounds like you need to do a stripping! I do my cold rinse and hot wash with detergent, then do an additional hot wash with a couple of squirts of Dawn and then rinse, rinse, rinse.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:23 am

stefanielynn wrote:Definitely sounds like you need to do a stripping! I do my cold rinse and hot wash with detergent, then do an additional hot wash with a couple of squirts of Dawn and then rinse, rinse, rinse.

Thanks! I thought that was the problem. Now I just have to get around to doing it. DS isn't in diapers full time anymore, so I haven't been washing my cloth as thoroughly as I should. Is there any special dish detergent I should use, or does it matter?
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:52 am

You should be able to use your regular detergent since it's been working for you this long. Rockin Green does make a stripping detergent, but I've never tried it. I just stripped my diapers yesterday (I have to do it fairly often due to our awful water!) with plain ol' Tide and Dawn.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering