Sure this has been asking a million times!

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Sure this has been asking a million times!

Postby MommaOreo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:44 pm

I am due in April with Baby Girl #2. I really want to cloth diaper mainly for the money savings. I have been reading everything I can find on it but still have some questions/concerns. First of all I think the AIO diapers would probably be best, I know they can be pricey but I plan to shop around and start buying soon so it's not a bunch of money upfront. I guess my first question would be what brands do you recommend? It seems like a lot of ladies like the Bumgenius. Anyone that has these, are the outsides of the diapers the waterproof material or some other kind of material. Are they pretty absorbent and keep baby dry? I am concerned about smells mainly. When baby pees will it make her stinky (dry urine smell) if not change immediately (ie. out in public can't get to changing area for a little bit). How many diapers do I need to start out with? I use Pampers with DD1 and can not remember how many diapers she went through in a day. Can anyone give suggestions on supplies I will need to start out with? I know clearly I need the diapers, a wet bag, some kind of detergent, diaper spray, etc. all these just seems over whelming to me but I really want to give it an honest try.
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Sure this has been asking a million times!

Postby stefanielynn » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Honest opinion: if you're going into CD for the cost savings, AIOs probably aren't the way to go. Most AIOs are sized, although I think the BG Freetime is a one size (I have no experience with this diaper). If you have to buy sized dipes, you will have to get diapers for each size (NB, small, medium, etc) whereas if you get a OS diaper a stash of 20-24 should last you from 12ish lbs until potty training. AIOs can be convenient for ease, but mine are honestly the last diapers I reach for. The fact that the microfiber is sewn in means that the diaper takes much longer to dry and mine also tend to have more problems with stink than my others. AIOs are least intimidating for a lot of people since they are one piece, but a pocket can be made just as easy with prestuffing (and they dry much more quickly and have less stink problems). My personal preference for diapering, and I also did it mainly for cost savings in the beginning, is prefolds/covers for NB-5ish months, then pocket diapers after that. I don't recommend buying a complete stash in one brand because you may find that different brands fit your baby better than others. For example, my BGs go through phases of fitting my daughter great and then not at all, thanks to the ever changing shape of her super skinny thighs. I've found that Sunbabys, or other diapers with adjustable legs, fit her better. Also diapers with the extra gusset, like Thirsties duo wraps (these are a cover).

For your other questions: in NB you will want AT LEAST 24 diapers, and personally I think closer to 30 is better. After that, 18-20 should be enough for every-other-day washing. Your cloth shouldn't stink. If it does, either your diaper needs to be stripped (another post for another day :) ) or your baby needs more liquids. Smells have never been an issue for me in cloth. How dry baby stays will depend on your diaper. Prefolds are just cotton so the wetness tends to stay against baby's skin, though in the NB days they are constantly being changed anyway. Pockets/AIOs tend to keep baby dryer since the fleece inner pulls the moisture away. I RARELY have problems with leaking and when I do it's usually something I've done wrong or something that needs fixing on my diapers (stripping or new elastic).

Starting supplies for me were Snappis (for the prefolds), two large wet bags for the diaper pail (so I can alternate them on wash days; I always have a clean and dry bag ready!), and one travel size wet bag. The detergent varies from person to person and your water/wash routine. Currently, with my super hard water, regular Tide and Calgon are working well. I don't have a diaper sprayer. BF NB poop rinses right out in the washing machine, and 9 times out of 10 I can just plop the solids poo off (although I find myself on that 1 time out of 10 wishing I had a sprayer!).

I used disposables on my first and have used cloth since getting home from the hospital with my second. I love my cloth and would never go back. :)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:33 am

When I was pregnant, pockets seemed intimidating. After testing one out, I realized how awesome they are- quicker to dry than AIOs, but still easy. Try to find a local store that sells fluff, going to one and the girl demonstrating was a huge eye opener.

Also check out AI2 systems- stuff like Best Bottom lets you use the diaper cover a few times with fresh inserts for each change. We aren't cding in pubic yet (waiting to get a wet bag), but when we do, I'll be using those for out and about.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MommaOreo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:09 pm

thanks ladies, didn't realize AIO are a pain. I am going to look into the pockets. I was more thinking of AIO for DH. he's up for cloth diapering but doesn't want a hassel. he wants to be able to grab and go not try to figure it out, but that does make sense if i pre stuff it for him it would basically be the same thing. We are getting ready to purchase our first HE washer/dryer so hoping the CD sticks because its the only reason we are upgrading to expensive appliances!
Me- Sam 26 Dh- Caleb 24 DD1- 5 yrs, :angel: 7/9/12, DD2- 2 yrs, DD3- 9 months, Baby#4- Jan 2016
It's a BOY! Baby Levi is due Jan 31, 2016!
MommaOreo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 am

AIOs really aren't that bad, they just take longer to dry. It is nice not having to stuff them. And yea, I thought the same about pockets, but I stuff them after washing/drying and put them in a basket on my changing table, so it all winds up being the same thing.

And I definitely meant public, not pubic above.. :lol:
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 pm

My husband was seriously all about diapers being as easy as possible when we started. But, as it turns out, he is better at PFs and Snappis than I am. CDs are much scarier in thought than in actuality, in my experience. ;)
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah, CDing is much more intimidating when reading about it.
Once you start doing it though, you'll laugh and wonder what the big fuss was :)

I like pocket diapers.
We didn't star CDing right away though. We waited until DD's cord fell off and then started after that.
But time and time again, it's usually recommended by everyone to use prefolds for NBs.
And you're gonna need a lot of them. Changing the baby so much and the baby pooping and peeing on a brand new clean diaper that you just put under their butt hehe.

I wouldn't start off with any expensive brand. Maybe buy one or 2, but look for a cheaper brand. Kawaiis, Alva, cheap Chinese ones on ebay, etc.
Lisa: 36 DH: 37
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
#2 took a little more than a year, random irregular cycles, Oren born 3/9/15
#3 surprise baby! Due August 12th 2016 :)
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering