What kind of stash do you have?

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What kind of stash do you have?

Postby AshHole » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:30 pm

Hi everyone. We got our BFP a few days ago and I've been looking into cloth diapering and breast-feeding (feels overwhelming, but I thought if I started research early it would be less overwhelming than doing it later.) I've been looking at all of the different CD options and I was wondering... what kind of stash do you have? I was thinking about maybe getting a dozen bumgenius AIOs (they're on sell on Amazon) and some pre-folds and covers from greenmountaindiapering (I think that's the name.) Does that sound do-able?
TTC#1 Since August, 2012

BFP February 17, 2014
Our rainbow due November 2, 2014!
6/23/14 - It's a GIRL! :babyg: - Georgette Rose Marie

10/24/14 at 11:55pm Gette is born! 7lb6oz 20in.

AshHole
Star Member
Star Member

Re: What kind of stash do you have?

Postby litmajor » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't commit too much to one type of diaper ahead of time. Maybe buy a few different kinds to test them out and see what works best for you (or if you know someone who CDs, seeing if they will let you borrow a couple to test them out- I did this with my aunt's diapers and was able to see what I liked and didn't like without spending a ton of money).

I personally have 2 Bum Genius AIOs, 4 Bum Genius pockets, 2 Tots Bots, 1 Fuzzi Bun, 2 GroVia AI2s, and 2 Best Bottom covers (and six inserts). The BG pockets are probably my favorites.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby miaowington » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:48 am

I was really attracted to pocket diapers when I was pregnant & built a stash of a couple dozen. Mainly they're from a company called Green Bees, but I have a few BumGenius as well.

Then my li'l babe decided to put in an advance appearance & was born seven weeks early. Once she was sprung from the NICU, we started diapering her in preemie wraps from Litewraps & newborn size Green Mountain prefolds. I was really nervous about prefolds when I was pregnant. I thought pockets would be "easier" or more attractive or something. But prefolds are SO EASY & definitely the most affordable option out there. The Green Mountain diapers are working great for us. I almost wonder if I'll ever use the pockets I have (right now she's too tiny for them, but I'm holding on to them until she's big enough to test them out).

For extra style, I got some cute covers from Rockabye Booty. I love the prefold/wrap combo--so simple & affordable! Just make sure you have enough on hand. I bought a dozen newborn size & a dozen small, but then she came along & was too small for the smalls. With only a dozen diapers that fit her, we were doing laundry every day. I bought another two dozen newborn size & now we're all a lot more comfortable. Three dozen diapers seems like a good stash to start with, but litmajor is right: you don't know what you'll really like or NEED until the baby is here.
me: 33
my dude: 32
:future baby girl: Ramona Astrid is here!

BFP on 5/1/12
19DPO beta: 1638
21DPO beta: 3764
:hb: 5 weeks: 124
:hb: 7 weeks: 146
:hb: 7 weeks 5 days: 168
:hb: 12 weeks 6 days: 147
:hb: 19 weeks 6 days: 141
born via emergency Cesarean on November 30, 2012!
4lbs., 11ozs., 17.75 in.
miaowington
Star Member
Star Member

Postby stefanielynn » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm

I agree with not committing too much to one type of diaper. Your favorites will possibly change over time, depending on you and your baby. From birth until about 6 months (around the time baby got mobile!) I preferred Green Mountain Diaper prefolds (you'll see those referred to as GMD PFs if you frequent cloth diapering boards) and Thirsties duo wraps. The prefolds were SO much easier than I anticipated and were super easy to clean as well as very cost effective for when baby is tiny and constantly peeing and pooping. From about 6 months on (DD is 21 months now) I have a variety that I like, and it changes based on my daughter's growth patterns. For example, I loved my Bum Genius pockets around 6 months, but then her thighs thinned out and we got leaking in the legs. So how much I like my BGs now depends on whether her legs are going through a chunky or skinny phase (i almost always use a cover over them just for peace of mind now). I like pockets with adjustable thighs now, like Fuzzibunz and Sunbabys. I love fitteds for nap time (my Drybees bamboos are my favorites). There was a while where I really liked my Grovia hybrids, but they have the same problem as my BGs with going through periods of fitting her legs and then not.

So, all that to say, my recommendation is variety. My stash for NB-6 months was: 24 GMD prefolds, 4 covers, 2 AIOs (I actually like AIOs the least since they are more likely to collect smells and take longest to dry), and a variety of fitteds. My current stash is 12 BG pockets, 2 BG AIOs, 2 Grovia hybrids, 5 fitteds of various brands, 3 covers, 2 Sunbaby pockets, and a handful of prefolds that I trifold and place in a cover when we're just hanging out at home.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BeccaM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:14 am

We had mostly Green Mountain Diaper Prefolds in sizes ranging from NB - medium, and some larger ones from Ebay. I also had a few adjustable Kawaii Pockets, and later on, acquired some BumGenius pockets (adjustable) from a friend. We also had a handful of Thirsties adjustable covers in sizes 1 and 2. I tried to be as economical as I could! But seriously, every family's situation is different so maybe that stash wouldn't work so well for you. I am a bit of a minimalist, and I like that the prefolds are cheap to buy and easy to clean.

You can always get more later after your baby is born if you find what you have isn't working for you. Cloth diapering is pretty flexible.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lisa79 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I'm one that actually commited to one type... and thankfully I like what I picked rofl.

I bought a bunch of Kawaii pocket OS (one size) diapers and love them.
It is kinda of a pain having to stuff them all the time, but it's not so bad.
I like the velcro while my DH likes the snaps. Velcro just makes it a little easier like disposables, but the snaps will last much longer.
Our girl is just over 5m old now and she still can't fit in to some of them though even on the smallest setting. I think it's just the way some of them are made.

CDing does sound really overwhelming when reading about it but it's SO easy. Much much easier to do when you get in to it :)

Oh and I wouldn't buy so many of the expensive brands at first. There are much MUCH cheaper options out there that you can get before that are the same thing, and then if you like it, maybe then trying the more expensive stuff if you want.
Lisa: 36 DH: 37
#1 took 3 years, 4 chemicals and lots of heartache to get, but our little Zoe was born 8/8/12
#2 took a little more than a year, random irregular cycles, Oren born 3/9/15
#3 surprise baby! Due August 12th 2016 :)
Lisa79
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AshHole » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks for all the info. Has anyone heard of econobum? They're really inexpensive but I'm wondering if they actually work.

http://thegreennursery.com/econobum-ful ... nQodpmAAlQ
TTC#1 Since August, 2012

BFP February 17, 2014
Our rainbow due November 2, 2014!
6/23/14 - It's a GIRL! :babyg: - Georgette Rose Marie

10/24/14 at 11:55pm Gette is born! 7lb6oz 20in.

AshHole
Star Member
Star Member

Postby stefanielynn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:16 am

I have one econobum. They come with one prefold that is really big--it's meant to last from NB to toddler. A lot of people do fine with one size prefolds, but I really preferred the sized ones from GMD. The cover is okay, not as good quality as my others but it does the job. I sometimes have a hard time getting it tight enough around my daughter's itty-bitty thighs, so I prefer my Thirsties or Kushies covers since they have the double leg gussets that give a better fit on my particular child. I would say this is like anything else diaper related, get a couple or a few and see how they work for you and your LO, but I wouldn't build an entire stash of them right off.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby litmajor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 am

My aunt had one Econobum that I tried out and I did not like it.
litmajor
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering