How to choose a type of cd and more questions

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How to choose a type of cd and more questions

Postby Jazish » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:02 am

I have no idea what type of cd's to use and also can someone take me through a step by step process of how to use them (putting them on, changing dirty diaper, and washing). I guess I have a lot to learn. I'm dead set in cd'ing just need a push in the right direction. My baby is due in August.
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)
Unofficial edd: 3/3/16

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: How to choose a type of cd and more questions

Postby Just1more » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:44 am

go to diaperswappers.com forum Q&A they have a ton of helpful info for you. The best place on the web for Cd'ing.
Me: 32 DH:32
9w1d :hb: 163 12w :hb: 156 20w1d :hb: 145
It's GIRL Number 5!!
:babyg:16 :babyg:6 :angel: 9w5d :babyg:4 :babyg: 26months
Just1more
Angel
Angel

Postby BeccaM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:33 pm

We did CD from birth (well about a week old). It's really not that bad! (And it can save a TON of money and is environmentally friendly to boot).

Here are the basics. If you have more questions, the ladies on here are great.

We bought prefolds in sizes from Newborn - Medium from www.greenmountaindiapers.com and used those exclusively for the first 8 months or so. We used Thirsties DUO covers, sizes 1 and 2. Later, we acquired some pocket diapers (Kawaii and BumGenius) for overnights and trips. They are a bit more convenient, but more expensive, and IMO, a bit harder to take care of than just a plain prefold.

To put them on, we just stick the PF inside the diaper cover flat, and then fold together the front half and snap on the cover. When he was little, we used Snappi fasteners. Here's a YouTube video. We did the first and last folding techniques; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDqa45EOHfE

Changing a dirty diaper is pretty simple. Just take it off and throw it in the diaper pail (we use a cheap flip lid trash can). If it's poopy, I swish in the toilet first, let drip for a few seconds, and dump in the pail. When DS was using diapers exclusively I washed every 3rd day. If traveling and using cloth, I brought some plastic bags and tossed dirty diapers and covers in there and rinsed and washed them when we got home.

To wash: I do a long cold cycle with borax or baking soda, a long hot wash with detergent and more borax (soak it if really poopy or stinky) and double rinse, tossing in a bit of vinegar on the 2nd rinse. I air dry or line dry whenever I can, and if I do need to use the dryer, I still air dry the covers because the dryer really can wear them out.
Isaiah, born Nov 14th, 2010, @ 39 weeks, 2 days. 8 lbs 2 oz. All natural hospital delivery.
Simon, born Mar 23rd, 2013 @ 39 weeks, 3 days. 8 lbs 4 oz. Our first home birth!!

BeccaM
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Jazish » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks ladies. Right now I'm thinking I'll be using prefolds and my bf will be using pockets until he gets used to cloth then eventually prefolds.
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Just1more » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:10 pm

My stash consists of 20 bumgenius AIO newborn diapers and 4 dozen orange edge green mountain prefolds & 1 dozen preemie prefolds just in case. My babies end up losing 1/2lb after delivery and the last 2 babies were 2 weeks early so i figure I'll buy preemie just in case. I have plenty of OS diaper covers from my last lo but I still need to buy 2 dozen xs thirsties covers. I only have the covers left to buy so I'll probably get serious and start looking in May for EUC covers. I BF and my last 2 babies I CD'd went thru 16 diapers a day from all the BF poo. So this is why I buy so many for this stage lol. Just make sure you don't buy any gerber cloth diapers they are crap. The best brands out there are GMD(green mountain diapers) diaper rite (diaperjunction.com) and Imagine (nickysdiapers(sp?) . Have fun momma!
Me: 32 DH:32
9w1d :hb: 163 12w :hb: 156 20w1d :hb: 145
It's GIRL Number 5!!
:babyg:16 :babyg:6 :angel: 9w5d :babyg:4 :babyg: 26months
Just1more
Angel
Angel

Postby Jazish » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Thanks that's very helpful. I plan on bf too so it's good to know.
Formally HopingWaiting
Jaz-23
BF-29
4 angels
DD-1 (Aug '13 ddc!)

Jazish
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby stefanielynn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:15 am

Just1more-why so many prefolds and covers? I got by with 26 newborn prefolds and 5 covers. Just curious!

My system was this: profiles and covers almost exclusively from birth to six months. I also really liked the thirsties duo wraps and green mountain diaper prefolds. I did use some kissaluvs fitteds at night for the first few weeks while I was figuring the cloth out. Much husband fully planned on only using pockets, but he ended up being a better snappi'er than I am and is looking forward to the newborn stage so he can do it again! After my daughter started getting more mobile, we started using more pockets and onesize fitteds. Even now, though, at 22 months we will just trifold a prefold when we will just be hanging out at home.

Washing seems intimidating, or at least seemed like the scariest thing to me when I was starting out, but it's not bad. Like was mentioned, exclusive breastfed poops don't even need to be rinsed. Just toss them right in. A lot of people like diaper speakers, but I never had one (though I think I'm going to get one for this next baby). Once she started on solids it was pretty easy to just plop it in the toilet or scrape if absolutely necessary. Really not a big deal.

I do one way on cold, no detergent, one was on hot with tide and calgon (really hard water!), and then two extra rinses. I also prefer to airdry, and even when my prefolds and inserts can't be for whatever reason, I always hang the covers and my pocket shells. They last longer that way!
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bazil323 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Great tips mamas! I am also expecting my first and trying to wade through what I need to know about cloth diapering. The more I learn about it, the more sense it makes.

I stumbled across this series of YouTube videos that I thought was very helpful in explaining the different types of cloth diapers (all in ones versus pockets versus prefolds+covers) and some folding techniques, tips, accessories, etc. Theres 7 videos in the series. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8
Recently had our first child and have been married since October 6, 2006. I'm 27 and DH 29.

First pregnancy chemical, January 31, 2013.

Got our BFP on March 6, 2013. EDC November 11. Born November 11, 2013!
bazil323
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Cloth Diapering