Hardcore Strip

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Hardcore Strip

Postby Labamby » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm

my dipes are repelling bad! I think it is due to build up but the dawn isn't working and I'm not sure what to do!! over half of the diapers have been in rotation for 18 mos, but many of the inserts are less than a year old. my los are also getting what looks like burns (ammonia??) but their dipes aren't even wet. sigh. feeling so defeated. :( we actually went out and bought disposables so they could get some rash cream for awhile. it cleared right up, so I know it is the dipes. any suggestions??
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Hardcore Strip

Postby stefanielynn » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:05 am

Bleach is generally a no-no, but can be done occasionally in the event other methods aren't working. I don't remember how much is okay...I wanna say 1/4 cup in the load? Do you strip regularly or is this the first time? You might consider stripping every couple of months just to keep the build-up from happening at all.
Me: 30
DH: 30
DS: 8/9/06
DD: 3/27/11
DS2: 10/14/13
stefanielynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby NotBarbaraBush » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Repelling and ammonia burns are two different problems.

Ammonia burns are caused by bacteria. Meaning, your diapers are not getting clean enough. You need to use more detergent, I'm guessing or switch to a different detergent. Using 1/4 cup of bleach in the pre-rinse cycle shouldn't hurt your diapers. BG recommends to do this once a month. (Microfiber is notorious for stink and ammonia burns, IME, b/c all those layers are just harder to get clean.)
Repelling is caused by detergent build up or oils of some sort. Dawn would work wonderfully in this case. I have an old-fashioned top-loader and do a hot soak with 2 good squirts of plain, blue Dawn detergent. Then you'll have to rinse the hell out of them to get rid of the soap. If you have an HE machine then don't put Dawn in your machine! You can strip them in the sink.
(You can test to see if your diapers are truly repelling by sprinkling water on them. Are they absorbing at all or are they beading up and running off the diaper?)

You can do the bleach thing in the pre-rinse first and then follow up with the Dawn stripping.

I'd try to revamp your wash routine because it sounds like it's just not working for you. :(
What does your wash routine look like? What soaps are you using and how much? What type of diapers are you washing? What type of washing machine do you have?
You don't have to tell me lol but ask yourself these questions and troubleshoot your washing routine.
NotBarbaraBush
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Labamby » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks ladies!

We added the bleach and dawn and the repelling and ammonia issues are gone. Also added another rinse! Not sure what did it, but one of them or all three did it!
:babyb: 4/22/07
:babyb: 3/3/12
:babyg: 6/10/13

Handmade tutu sets, headbands/bow clips, and crochet accessories!
http://www.facebook.com/babybettyboutique1
Find us on Pinterest! @babybettyboutique
Labamby
Addicted
Addicted

Return to Cloth Diapering