Detergent

Chat about your little darling's fuzzy bunz in here. :-)

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Detergent

Postby Gonzo1 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey ladies! We are expecting our LO soon and are giving Cloth Diapers a go! We just received our first shipment of Bum Genius 4.0s after reading lots of great reviews.

I have a question about detergent, though. Do you have to purchase special detergents or will the free & clear type that we use for baby clothes work? I don't want to damage the inserts but I prefer not to have 3 detergents in the house, either.

Any insight you can share would be great! thank you!
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Re: Detergent

Postby chantellee » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:30 am

I use Country Save detergent. And I use it for everything. I actually tried to switch to All Free and Clear several months ago since my son was older and I wasn't thinking about pregnancy and it made my son's skin dry out horribly to the point he'd scab and bleed. Right when I switched back, his skin went back to normal. And now I will be sticking with it for several years again. I don't use anything else and it makes all our clothes nice and soft. The hard part with any of the Free and Clear stuff is they really aren't and it can cause build up. If you do use other detergents though, make sure you do a rinse in the washer without anything before adding the diapers. It'll keep any build up from happening. And also if you use dryer sheets, you'll need to wipe down the dryer each time so you don't put wax on the diapers from them. I use a dryer ball now and it gets rid of all the static cling without getting wax on everything.

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Gonzo1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:55 am

Thanks! I ended up doing a ton of Googling and came to the same conclusions you experienced - so not worth it for Free/Clear! It's like buying "natural" foods at the grocery store in that it really means nothing at all. I hate that they duped me but at least I can keep that stuff away from DS.

I ended up ordering a box of Nellie's NLS All Natural Laundry Soda from Amazon. A lot of the customer comments on Amazon were from cloth diapering mamas who loved it and I can use it on his clothes and toys, too. If that doesn't work for me I will definitely try out Country Save.

I had heard about drier sheets before and have cut them out from all of our laundering because of all the crap they deposit in your clothes. I just get clingy :)

Thanks for your response!
BFP 06/13/2013
HB 7/29- 170s
9/6 It's a BOY! :future baby boy:
Wyatt born 2/2014 - All natural water birth
Gonzo1
Star Member
Star Member

Postby chantellee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:34 pm

No problem! Glad you were able to find the answers to the stuff and I hope the new laundry detergent works for you!

It's insanely crazy how much crap is put into every little thing we use in our lives. And so many people just don't pay attention to it. It's just "normal". Which is sad!

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Cloth Diapering