Tips for a beginner?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Tips for a beginner?

Postby MarineWife06 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

First off:

Any suggestions for a camera? I have nothing right now. I did have a point and shoot, but it has finally given out on me.

I want something that will take nicer pictures then a p&s but it doesn't have to be professional grade. Also, any extra equipment that I need with it?

TIA and sorry if I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about! I pretty much don't... :oops:
Me (Durrae): 21
DH (Matt): 22
Married December 2006.

Kavan Ryan: Born November 20th at 10:56pm. 8 lbs. 20.5 inches.

ImageImage
MarineWife06
Star Member
Star Member

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:57 pm

from what i researched the Nikon D3000 is a good user friendly SLR camera. A friend of mine(also a fellow Marine wife) loves it but the only thing is the cam doesn't have video mode though but does take beautiful pictures :D
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby Wishingandwaitingnomore! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm a photo newbie, so don't have any advice really. When you do decide on a camera, just play around with different things like lighting, angle, etc. And read your owners manual!

Just wanted to say I have a Nikon D40 and love it! It's not overwhelming, has lots of options, and takes great pics. :)
Sarah-30 :hb: DH-32
ImageImage
Wishingandwaitingnomore!
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:07 pm

I'd go with either a Nikon or a Canon, since they really do have the best and best choice in lenses.

Then I'd figure out what kind of lenses I want to use, and which camera those work well with. For example, the Nikon D40 cannot be used in autofocus mode on the most popular children's portrait lens, the 50 mm 1.8 or 50 mm 1.4. It only can be focused manually, which really makes it hard to get focus on a moving baby.

Ken Rockwell is my go-to guy for reviews on Nikon:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/

Here are some Canon reviews:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... views.aspx

I would get the best one that you can afford, as cameras have a sneaky way of getting outgrown VERY quickly. You'll want one that has high ISO capabilities if you're going to be shooting young children indoors.

I use the Nikon D70s as a backup, and the D90 as my main camera. Huge difference in the quality of the pics.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MarineWife06 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 am

Blue- Thanks! Good to know that the D40 won't autofocus with some lenses!

Thanks everyone! Photography has been something that I've wanted to get into just as a hobby for quite awhile. It will be a slow start up for me. I'm going to have to save up for everything slowly and get equiptment as I go.
Me (Durrae): 21
DH (Matt): 22
Married December 2006.

Kavan Ryan: Born November 20th at 10:56pm. 8 lbs. 20.5 inches.

ImageImage
MarineWife06
Star Member
Star Member

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs