Gorgeous 3 week old little boy.

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Gorgeous 3 week old little boy.

Postby Kylie » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:27 am

I did a newborn shoot today for a friend (the same friend I did the maternity shots for a little while ago). He was three weeks old today and like Victoria's newborn experience he wouldn't go into a deep enough sleep to try alot of the pose ideas I had. I even printed some out to be prepared. Oh well. Maybe next time.
All natural light. Lighting was all over the place with the sun constantly ducking in and out behind clouds.
CC welcome and appreciated as usual :)

Here's one we did get. I saw this opne on ILP. I think it was Brees? I'll have to check and give proper credit.
And a few other favourites
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Aww what a sweet little baby! Sorry you had a hard session too! Too funny about printing out poses, I drew little sketches of poses I want to try!! We can just save them for the next more cooperative baby. ;)

I like 2, 3, and 5 the best! Is that a leaf bean bag??

4 I think the mom is looking kind of greenish? I'm not callibrated but I see it!

#1 I like the idea, but baby just looks a little uncomfortable.

Otherwise good work, especially for an older baby like that!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby **Tasha** » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:28 pm

awww.... adorable!!

I agree the first one looks kinda awkward.

Is that an in camera crop?
ImageImage
Mommy to:
Kaiden: 06/22/07
Elizabeth: 08/19/2008

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 am

victoria_1024 wrote:Aww what a sweet little baby! Sorry you had a hard session too! Too funny about printing out poses, I drew little sketches of poses I want to try!! We can just save them for the next more cooperative baby. ;)

I like 2, 3, and 5 the best! Is that a leaf bean bag??

4 I think the mom is looking kind of greenish? I'm not callibrated but I see it!

#1 I like the idea, but baby just looks a little uncomfortable.

Otherwise good work, especially for an older baby like that!

Same CC. I think I like the second one best! :)

I'm calibrated, with Spyder 3 Pro. Kylie, is your monitor calibrated? I see some colour issues. #4 mum is definitely green.

#1 - crop isn't working for me here either. The open mouth and expression makes it less a portrait, and I think I see drool. Looks oversharpened.

#2 - The OOF elbow is a bit distracting, but I love the sweet expression! I think the skin tones look great here, nice job!

#3 - The angle is kind of odd, might work better if you leaned over and took the shot so you could see the whole baby. The leg isn't visible, and part of the baby's elbow. Also, you can see the diaper. I might lose the socks too.

#4 - LOVE the interaction! she'll love this shot! Just the colour issues the others mentioned.

#5 - so cute! I love the bag! The baby's tummy looks cyan though, and overall oversharpened. I think the light was coming from below? The catchlights are in the bottoms of the eyes.

Cute pictures!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks for the CC. Now that you mention it I can see the green in #4 and the Cyan in his belly in the leaf one.
I'm not calibrated. Calibration software is on my long list of wants. I didn't prioritize is because I can generally see the colour issues that people who are calibrated mention so I firgured the colour on my monitor must be alright. I ordered a digitial grey card today to help with white balance. Getting things consistant is a constant struggle.

In number # I agree he does look a little uncomfortable but I just love it for some reason. Mum does too. Out of all the pose ideas I printed out this is the one she wanted to try the most. Goes to show how different everyones tastes are :)

The leaf is a real leaf. I don't know what their real name is but we call them Elephant Ear plants and I have a few in my yard. The leaves are huge!I just put it on a pillow.

Do they look oversharpened to everyone? I don't see it.

I think my main editing issue is patience. I don't have enough LOL. I get so excited and want to get them done quickly. I really need to sit back and take the time to look at them properly before showing them to people.

I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to do a true newborn. Believe it or not you can't have babies in this town so most people don't come back here for at least a week after they've given birth. Very frustrating. I'd love to try so many things witha sleepy compliant newborn.

Tasha, it's not an in camera crop. I'll post the original later tonight so you can see where it came from.

Thanks again. I think I will do some re-editing and post again :)
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:12 am

OMG I *totally* hear you on the patience!! LOL!! I'm working with a mentor, and she's really helping me out, I want to edit RIGHT AWAY and show her, and get feedback :rofl:

That leaf is so cool! You definitely found a cool prop!

As for the sharpening, if you look at his back in #1, you can see a definite line running down his back, where the pixels have been defined. You can also see it in hair. In #4, her hair is noticeably "flecked", I don't know how to describe it in "technical words". Like sparkly. And the lint on her black shirt has gone sonic.

I'll NEVER get a chance to do a newborn either! In Greece, they have this cultural thing where mum has to be in confinement for 40 days!!! This is also interfering with my bfing consults. :( TWO mothers have quit bfing because of issues, before I can even GET to them!!! :(

I would definitely calibrate. The Spyder 3 Pro is a really good value, and will really help in the long run, with having to go back and re-edit. Even with a good monitor, colour issues can be really off, as I found out!!! :rofl:

I think you did an awesome job, and she's going to love the photos :)
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:22 am

I see it in number 1 now but still not the others. Then again I am am upstairs at the moment with a shitty dinosaur age monitor.

That's exactly what I'm like with the impatience. I load the pics and think they're cute and just can't wait to show her so I rush through them. I think I might go and beg for a mentor on ILP. Hopefully someone will take me.

And, I think I'll add Spyder 3 to my birthday wish list. Money, money money......
So now I need a new tripod, calibration software and a speedlight. Then I'm done. For now. Maybe. Will it ever end LOL
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 am

NO it doesn't end!!!! :lol:

Girl, I have a weekly wish list!! LOL! This week it's an OCF stand, a 5 in 1 reflector, a polarizer lens (thanks to Ami and Amanda!) for full sun, and a Kelly Moore or Epiphanie bag!

Z is making me a backdrop, so next I"ll get some paper. Then I'm sure I'll want an umbrella...

It just doesn't end. Photography is an expensive hobby!
Next week I'm also taking a few Webinars with Andrea Joki. It adds up.
But I think it's worth it in the end. ;)
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 am

Oh definitely worth it! I'll need a new bag soon to fit all the new stuff and I only got my bag a couple of months ago. It's insane, but I love it.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:58 am

Here is the SOOC version of #1
And edit number 2 on this one. Does she still look green?
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Very cute Kylie. Sorry yup she still looks a bit greenish to me. Particularly her hair.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 am

Bummer, I can see it in her hair but not in her skin anymore. Looks like calibration software should be higher on my priority list.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:21 am

I still see it too, and it' s on her neck. What was to the side of her?
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:03 am

Nothing but my dining table and a ivory coloured wall so it's weird. Her hair I can understand because the highlights kind of have a greenish hue in real life. Too much bleach and chlorine never make for a good combination.
ETA - I'm not bagging her, she is one of my best friends and I've told her to her face.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:08 am

LOL, I know that about highlights! mine used to do the same!

Can you see it on the diaper too? I just want to get an idea of what you see on your screen.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs