New to photography...Tips, tools?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

New to photography...Tips, tools?

Postby Stephie702 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 am

Hi ladies!!

I have recently taken up a thing for photography...i love to capture moments that will be there forever!!!I constantly look at things around me and think wow...i should come take the kids here and take pics! I shot the pictures in the signature, as well others.

I am still a newbie, i am still an newbie at things...i can use paint shop pro pretty well...what do yu ladies use?? im using a so so camera but will be purchasiing one soon... ( looking at canon rebel or Nikon) . anyway, any websites or tips anyoen could offer i would appreciate it so MUCH!!!

also any equipment or props anyone would suggest? whts the best place to order a back drop from? is back lighting and thoes type of fixtures a nessecity?? im just doing this as a hobby for now...going to build up my portfolio and just do it as long as its fun!! ty again ladies!
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
Lilyana Leeann born 8/27/09 via C-Section 8lbs 3oz, 21inches long!
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:18 am

Hi :)
I have a Nikon D90 and use Photoshop CS3. I can't really help you out with the best place to order things since I'm in Australia.
Check out www.stopshootingauto.com and www.pioneerwoman.com for some great beginner tips.
Have fun!
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandamarie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 am

I have the same camera as Kylie and I use Gimp (its free!). I am a newbie too.. I don't do well with reading and understanding things.. so I'm going by the trial and error method right now :)

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby blue-eden » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:41 am

I do trial and error too :)
I did get the book Understanding Exposure, just to get a grips on the basics of exposure with digital.

I have the Nikon D70s and the Nikon D90.
I have Photoshop Elements 7, Microsoft Digital Suite, Lightroom 3 beta, and Photoshop Creative Suite 4. I mostly use the last two.

For accessories, I think what you get depends on what and where you want to shoot.

Right now, I want to shoot with babies and toddlers (my kids!!! ) outside.
So, I need a fast portrait lens, and a wider angle for indoors so I can back up. I have 5 Nikon lenses, zooms and primes, all different focal lengths covering the wide angle (12 mm) to macro (105 mm) lengths.
I also like to do macro and landscape photography, so I have a sturdy tripod.

For shooting outdoors, you might want a reflector, to get light into their faces when they are backlit.

Since it's summer, I'll be shooting outdoors. If you want to shoot indoors, then you might want a backdrop. But how will you light it? If you want to use natural light, then white is not a good backdrop, it will come out dingy and grey or bluish.
If you want that high key white backdrop look, you'll need studio lights and stands, and umbrellas, etc.

In the winter, I'll be doing more indoor shoots, so I bought a Speedlite, the Nikon SB600. Z is building me a backdrop stand, and I'll get the gray Lastolite backdrop.

In the US, most people get the Savage backdrop stands and seamless paper.

If you want to edit your photos and print them, you NEED to calibrate your monitor, so you are seeing colours correctly.
I use Spyder 3 Pro. Most people use Eye1 or Spyder.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

I second the web sites Kylie mentioned. I've got a Nikon D90 for a camera body. The lens I have right now is some cheap Tameron lens that I can't remember right now. It's not my favorite lens at all. My favorite lens is my 50MM aka the nifty fifty Nikon lens. I got my camera and lens from B&H. I did not feel comfortable spending tons of dough and buy off of Ebay. For editing I've got CS4 and LightRoom. I would say read things over and over on exposure, ISO and shutter speed till it starts sinking in and making sense. Then read some more. Another thing I do is study other photographers, the good and the bad. I'm looking at their shots, the composure of the photo, the lighting and everything in between with each photographer. Yes I'm totally obsessive.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Stephie702 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:20 pm

this is all just so...confusing LOL...guess trial and error :)
~Steph-
DH, DSD 11, DD 22 months
Lilyana Leeann born 8/27/09 via C-Section 8lbs 3oz, 21inches long!
the love of my life <3
Stephie702
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:58 am

It really can be overwhelming.

If I can make a suggestion, because spring and summer are coming, just focus on getting a camera, one good lens, and shoot outdoors.
Forget the backdrops, the speedlites, the seamless paper, all that. Just work on shooting outdoors in natural light, and work on basics like exposure, focus, and white balance.

Choose one thing to work on (exposure, focus, learning good composition, getting the correct iso/shutter speed/fstop for the situation etc) and then when you feel you got it, move on to something else.

It's WAY more fun when you don't take on too much at once.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 am

Oh definitely start with the basics. I second learning as much as you can about natural light first. I'm only just considering a speedlight now and I've been learning bit by bit for almost a year now.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs