first real photoshoot :) *pic heavy*

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

first real photoshoot :) *pic heavy*

Postby jodilynn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

So yesterday I had my first "real" attempt at professional looking pictures. CC are SO welcome! Keep in mind Im still a noob and dont know alot of the jargon :wink:

Also Im still learning to work with my lighting so if you have any tips on that..would be awesome :D

I shot these at 1/200 F5.6 ISO 800 w/ two light umbrellas.

1.Image

2.Image

3.Image

4.Image

5.Image

6.Image

7.Image

And on another note, I dont know how you mamas do it! mama goggles are SO hard to take off :oops:
DS1: 01.15.10
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandamarie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Im still learning too, so I really don't have advice.. I just wanted to say that I think you did a really good job! 6 is my favorite!!

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby foofuh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Great job...very nice Jodilynn!
foofuh
Hot Mama
Hot Mama

Postby chantellee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Looks good for your first shoot! Number six is my favorite. Your white balance seems to be off, cause in some pictures the blanket looks white, others, it's turned creamy. Are these straight out of camera, or have they been edited? If SOOC, when you edit, bump up the contrast and it'll help a lot.

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jodilynn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:23 pm

chantellee wrote:Looks good for your first shoot! Number six is my favorite. Your white balance seems to be off, cause in some pictures the blanket looks white, others, it's turned creamy. Are these straight out of camera, or have they been edited? If SOOC, when you edit, bump up the contrast and it'll help a lot.

They have been edited. Might it have something to do with the colors? Some of them had a darker tint to his skin and when I pulled it out I noticed the blanket got white. Am I doing to much with that then?
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessedmommy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:03 pm

A bit underexposed. Are you manually exposing or using auto? Your WB varies from picture to picture. What are you using to edit? These are great for your first shoot! I did a quick edit on my favorite one(hope you don't mind). Just a quickie, I was trying to show you a little closer to the right exposure:

what a cutie! Love those big beautiful eyes!
Me-25, DH-26, DD#1-5yo-diabetic, DD#2-3yo, DS#2- March 25, 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abfamilyphoto/

blessedmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby jodilynn » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:09 pm

blessedmommy wrote:A bit underexposed. Are you manually exposing or using auto? Your WB varies from picture to picture. What are you using to edit? These are great for your first shoot! I did a quick edit on my favorite one(hope you don't mind). Just a quickie, I was trying to show you a little closer to the right exposure:

Im trying to learn how to do it manually. Im only using premium picnik once I get more experience and better at editing I want to get a better program. My problem with editing is Im not quite sure the "look" Im going for?! Ie. how sharp is too sharp, how bright is too bright, which color/tints look good/bad and especially the white balance. I love your edit (thanks) but when I edited that picture I saw what his hands did (they look a bit more white then his face/arms) when I bumped up the exposure and I thought that was too much? KWIM? Does this type of stuff come with time and practice? :oops: I sure hope so!
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 pm

jodilynn wrote:
blessedmommy wrote:A bit underexposed. Are you manually exposing or using auto? Your WB varies from picture to picture. What are you using to edit? These are great for your first shoot! I did a quick edit on my favorite one(hope you don't mind). Just a quickie, I was trying to show you a little closer to the right exposure:

Im trying to learn how to do it manually. Im only using premium picnik once I get more experience and better at editing I want to get a better program. My problem with editing is Im not quite sure the "look" Im going for?! Ie. how sharp is too sharp, how bright is too bright, which color/tints look good/bad and especially the white balance. I love your edit (thanks) but when I edited that picture I saw what his hands did (they look a bit more white then his face/arms) when I bumped up the exposure and I thought that was too much? KWIM? Does this type of stuff come with time and practice? :oops: I sure hope so!

Looks great!
I like Amanda's exposure edit, but the WB is still off.

If you want to invest in just one thing right now, I'd get a digital gray card. You use this to set the exposure. If you get the exposure right, the WB usually falls close to proper.

If you want pro looking pictures, invest in some photo editing software.
You can go to Adobe and download free trials, and see how much of a difference it makes. You can selectively edit parts of a picture (like hands that are different shades, etc) rather than try to do global edits.

I think you did a GREAT job with your first shoot!
What lights did you use, and how did you set it up?
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby luvin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:05 am

I think they look great! I don't know the jargon or anything, but I like your creativity, and the use of the bowl.
It's a girl!!
Officially: Evelyn Paige
[/url]ImageImage
luvin
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby littlebug » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:26 am

Good job on your first photoshoot :)

I agree with the PP that your wb is off, you can fix that in your editing software though, just play around with the colour balance if it doesn't offer a wb slider. Personally, I actually prefer to fix my wb in my post processing rather than in camera.
I like #2, #6 & #7 best since he has nice eye contact. I think the bowl photos would have been a bit better with a fluffier blanket, but overall they are nice :)
Mummy to Noah 14-12-06 & Juliet 10-10-09
littlebug
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessedmommy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:31 pm

blue-eden wrote:
jodilynn wrote:

Looks great!
I like Amanda's exposure edit, but the WB is still off.

Sorry, forgot to mention, I didn't even edit the WB or colors. I was just trying to show her how to get closer to a good exposure :oops:
Me-25, DH-26, DD#1-5yo-diabetic, DD#2-3yo, DS#2- March 25, 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abfamilyphoto/

blessedmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs