How are your local photographers?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How are your local photographers?

Postby chantellee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 pm

I've been working on getting my photography business off the ground so lately I've been looking up the local photographers in my area to see how they are. Quite a few I am just wowed by, but it makes my ambition higher. And then there's plenty that I just get completely annoyed by. Seeing the focus off, the faces completely underexposed, the horrible TILT that makes them look like they are going to fall out of the photo. I just want to run and scream! :lol: I noticed that is the worst one that a lot of photographers do around here for some reason, a major tilt to the world. And while a tilt can sometimes work and add to the photo. Every. Other. Photo. Haha! So what things do you ladies see going on in your area with your photographers that drives you nuts?

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:41 am

Oh my goodness, it's madness! LOL!

That's funny you say that about the tilts, they drive me nuts too! :rofl:
I haven't done too much scouting around, because I'm not looking to go into biz or anything yet, but from what I've seen, these are the worst offences:

the tilts!!!
selective colour, yikes! I didn't even like this years ago when it was the fashion!
lack of focus
poor colours

And also, I notice the backdrops of the studio work. It's either dingy gray on the white backgrounds because of poor lighting, or they look like my 1980 grade school photos! booooooooooring!

A lot of the "on location" work I've seen (weddings, families, etc) just look like snapshots to me, that anyone could do with a regular old point and shoot. :dunno:

I've seen some nice newborn work though.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 am

I'm it as far as local photographers go and I'm only just starting out so I'm going to say our local photographer is average but improving.

I have seen some not so great work from a couple of photographers who visit the area once or twice a year. Some underexposures and a friend of mine recently paid $800 for family photos that have her looking washed out and her husband positively ghostly. I saw a recent family portrait on another friends wall that looked very very flashy. It was an outdoor shot and they had pinlights in their eyes from the flash as well as some catchlights from the sun coming in from another direction.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby amandamarie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 am

Well, I wanted to get the kids Easter pictures done, so I contacted a local CL photographer.. the picture she posted in her ad was really nice. So, she directed me to her FB fan page, and upon looking at her photos.. I called and cancelled our appointment. ALL of the photos were super over-exposed.. and Im usually not one to notice things like that.. but anyways super overexposed and then over saturated.. and over contrasted.. and then she recolored the eyes to like a chlorine pool-blue.. like she painted them.. the children looked like some type of creature with fluorescent blue eyes. The faces were white, and you couldnt see any detail.. and then it would be the neon eyes. I don't understand how so many ppl pay her for what she was asking! I think I'm going to just take my kids to Sears, but I want to wait until my DH is around, so he can help me make them cooperate.. lol.

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Christie2007 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:44 am

We have some really good photographers here. I have seen a lot of work that is nothing to be desired but there are a few. This is actually one of my friends. She only does weddings, but her photos are great. Expensive, but great.

http://meganwblog.com/
DS1 - Riley 6/29/07
DS2 - Hayden 12/4/08
DS3 - Lukas 6/3/11 - diagnosed with truncus arteriosus type I, VSD, and bicuspid aortic valve. Truncal/VSD repair (open heart sugery) 6/20/2011 at 2 weeks old.

Our Blog for Lukas
Christie2007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 am

It's a mixed bag here of amazing photographers to OMG I can not believe their charging people. The worst is found on Craig's List. It's bad composure, over or under exposed, out of focus, color selection, cropped limbs and the list goes on and on. The one's that are pros do amazing work. Let me rephrase that, it's jaw dropping work. My favorite is this guy here. He's does weddings but holy cow it's beautiful work http://www.michaelhacker.com/#
The there's this guy with the great lighting skills http://www.craigmitchelldyer.com/
There's a few more that I could put links to but these guys are my absolute favs.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 pm

I live in a small town and there aren't too many of them around. We had someone take Jackson's 3 month pictures (found her from her website). She was decently priced, and the pictures were adorable, but mostly because Jackson was so smiley and adorable. But honestly, I wasn't impressed. She showed up with nothing but her camera and just basically propped him up on the couch and took a bunch of close-up pictures. Then propped him up on a chair by a window and took a bunch of close-up pictures there too. And that was it. Zero variety except for his facial expressions. I told myself it was because he was at a hard age (couldn't lift his head up and stuff) but since then I've seen many photoshoots of 3 month olds with tons and variety so I realized she really wasn't all that creative. I mean, exposure/focus/color was all fine, just didn't give us any variety.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs