When did you realize...

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

When did you realize...

Postby jodilynn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:44 am

that you had a passion for photography?

AFM, When I was in highschool writing for the school newspaper I fell in love with taking the pictures for the stories. Nothin special, no fancy camera, no lighting, just fun snap shots of school events but I LOVED it. I never persued it though. Not sure why. But now having my Canon Rebel for a few months Im SO glad I finally took it on! The passion grows everyday with every picture I take :D

So how about you?!
DS1: 01.15.10
jodilynn
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:34 pm

when Deztyni was born my love for capturing EVERY moment grew and grew! Now...almost 4 years later and 2 more babies later :wink: I LOVE it!
I love learning more and more each day and growing with photography! Such a passion!
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:42 pm

It was when I started modeling as a teenager. I saw how much models paid for pictures that I didn't think were very great. I decided to see if I could do better and took a class at the community college. My teachers were great and I was hooked!
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 am

I don't remember a specific time. It was always on my list of career options growing up but I didn't persue it. Mostly because I was never in a position to afford it. Having Harrison sparked the old flame, especially because there are no other photographers in our town so the only option for professional pictures was to wait until you're away on holidays or wait until one of a couple of hideously expensive and not that great photographer visit town.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:07 am

I have ALWAYS loved taking pictures, even as a kid. I took 5 zillion pictures of everything I did, lol. In high school, I decided to take a photography class initially because I wanted to learn how to take great pictures (and I do think I picked up on some great, basic skills from that class) but to be honest after starting the class, there was this boy I really liked in my class so that kinda became my focus, rather than learning, lol. :oops: What can I say, I was 15.

Anyway I continued to love taking pictures during college and driving my family nuts with all my scrapbooks, but it wasn't until having Jackson that my passion kind of sparked again and I decided I just HAD to have perfect pictures of this perfect boy.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby FirstTimeMommy22 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

I've always had an appreciation for phtotgraphy. I'd act as a mock phototgrapher as a teen taking photots of landscapes and such but I never thought I could actually DO it. Once my daughter was born the passion for it came out again. I wanted to capture the best of my baby. She's had professional pictures done at a studio once in her life because I made the decision to do them myself. (BRU Kiddie Kandids is a joke) I also wanted candid shots. I didn't want her just posed. There was a certain look that I wanted. I also wanted her to know that mommy took her pics and I hope she apreciates it.

Now I love it!!! And although I'm not where I want to be prefessionally yet, I'm enjoying the journey getting there. :D
Me-24 DH-25 DD- Phoenix Grace 10/23/2008
ImageImage
FirstTimeMommy22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Well this a pretty cool thread. It's really fun to hear how everyone story on how they fell in love with photography.

I stumbled into photography in junior high. It was eighth grade to be exact. We had a two week explorer class during junior high. Basically it was a 2 week super cool field trip. I remember I was super excited because I got into the sailing trip up to the San Juan Islands. Two weeks sailing on somebody's big beautiful sail boat sounded awesome to me. A week before before the explorer week was to start my sailing trip was canceled due to the school could not get an insurance policy for it. I was totally bummed as my second choice (which I can not remember what it was) was completely filled. On Friday before the start of our super cool field trip weeks were to start I was told that I had two choices camping or photography. I choose photography because I am a pansy about camping. I fell in love with photography during those two weeks. We tromped all over Seattle and Tacoma, did film development, studio lighting and a whole bunch of everything. That is also when my dad handed over one of his Mintola SLR camera.

I took photos all the time with the camera. I had to use natural as that camera did not have a built in flash and I didn't have an off camera flash either. I also had to learn what the best exposure was by my eye as the lens's meter was broken. I still have that camera. DH is starting to take a hankering for photography too and wanting to learn on this one.

When we moved from Washington State to San Diego I left my camera at my mom's house by mistake. It got lost in the shuffle of my parents retirement and move out of state. My passion for photography slumbered while I was out of a camera. I tired a few cheap ones but the film never developed. When I got into scrap booking my MIL got me a Kodak easy share point and shoot. The photography love shook off it's sleepiness and began taking off. After we moved up to Oregon my mom found my old beloved film SLR and hand delivered it back to me. I began slowly playing with it again. Then around the start of this year my point and shoot would no longer charge and died. I was out of digital camera till around mid March. I finally had the cash to up grade to a Nikon D-90. Boy I love that camera and I would say photography is not only a passion but a love and desire.

Sorry for the length of this and bless you all who chew through. I just really really love photography :hb: :hb: :hb: :D :D :D
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs