Which Nikon

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Which Nikon

Postby tulip22 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:08 pm

Which DSLR would you recommend for a lady who has only ever used a point and shoot and would love to upgrade. What lenses would you recommend? I plan to take lots of action shots of the kiddos.
-Mallory
tulip22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Sun May 02, 2010 6:32 pm

i'm in the same situation as you, i was recommended the Nikon D90 as for lenses ummm i do believe the 18-55mm is good for action and also believe the 55-200mm as well.
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby amandamarie » Sun May 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I reccomend the D90, although I haven't personally seen or tried others, but I know that I really enjoy my camera and would reccomend it to someone looking for one. It has alot of really cool features. I like the lens that came with it.. the 18-105, but I love the 50mm 1.8 lens.

amandamarie
Addicted
Addicted

Postby puddingpop » Sun May 02, 2010 9:57 pm

Tulip I love my D90. It's got a nasty hot fast 4.5 shots per second. Which is great from me me getting my youngest. There's also a continues shooting mode and another 500 billion features that I'm still learning. Other than taking action shoots what else do you plan to do with this camera? Are you wanting to dive deep into photography and learn all the buttons and bells? Are you wanting to shot in manual or learn how to (or you already know how to)? If your getting your feet wet with your very first DSLR and you're just wanting better family photos that you take, I suggest looking at the entry level models. Look at the D40, D60 or D3000. You will need to keep in mind about how much you are willing to spend as well. On lens I say keep to your kit lens. Once you get a good feel for it then up grade your lens. Lastly go some where you will be able to hold, try and get a good feel of each of these cameras. Happy camera shopping and can't wait to see some of your shots. :D
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Mon May 03, 2010 1:28 am

Looks like a unanimous vote for the D90 so far. I love mine
I actually bought the D60 first but outgrew it fairly quickly.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Mon May 03, 2010 1:47 am

I would buy the D60, D70 or D90 body only, and a prime lens. :)
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tulip22 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 am

blue-eden wrote:I would buy the D60, D70 or D90 body only, and a prime lens. :)

what is a prime lense? :oops:
-Mallory
tulip22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tulip22 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:41 am

I must add, I completely camera dumb when it comes to anything except pointing and shooting. I don't know the terminology or the functions, but I hope to learn.
I looked at the d90 and it is more money that I have to spend right now, but looks like a great option down the road.

So.. here is my list of wants:
something that has the option of shooting in manual or automatic
a good lens for SPEEDY action shots
a good lens for a blurry back ground with a crisp, in focus child/subject
a good camera with lots of functions to learn, but also that will grow with me

Forgot to mention, I am totally open to other brands than Nikon, but that seems to be a favorite of many. I like the canon rebel, too.
What would you suggest given these *wants.*
-Mallory
tulip22
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 am

tulip22 wrote:I must add, I completely camera dumb when it comes to anything except pointing and shooting. I don't know the terminology or the functions, but I hope to learn.
I looked at the d90 and it is more money that I have to spend right now, but looks like a great option down the road.

So.. here is my list of wants:
something that has the option of shooting in manual or automatic
a good lens for SPEEDY action shots
a good lens for a blurry back ground with a crisp, in focus child/subject
a good camera with lots of functions to learn, but also that will grow with me

Forgot to mention, I am totally open to other brands than Nikon, but that seems to be a favorite of many. I like the canon rebel, too.
What would you suggest given these *wants.*

For what you want, I'd go with the D70. I have the D70s (which I keep as a backup) as well as the D90 (my main camera) and it's FABULOUS!

The D40 will not let you autofocus on the most popular portrait lenses, should you want to upgrade your lens (which you will, if you are shooting mostly portraits). The 50 mm lens will only work manual off that camera.

Prime lens = a fixed focal length like 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, etc. Not a zoom.
The advantages are HUGE. Better, faster (wider aperture = faster shutter speed), better clarity, blurrier backgrounds with a nice creamy texture, sharper all the way around.

The D70 (or the D60) has everything you want, and will keep you busy for a long time learning all the cool stuff it can do, but are also very user friendly.

I don't know Canon, but they have similar models.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 pm

The D60 is a great entry level camera. If you don't want to spend a ton, you can look on ebay or CL and buy one new.

If you do buy new, I would recommend not buying the kit, as pp mentioned. The lenses are not that great w/the kit. I bought the body and an 18-250 lens, which I love, then I bought a 35mm prime lens, which is great for portraits.

I've had that camera for 2 years and I'm ready to upgrade soon. DH says my skills aren't good enough yet, lol, but I'm sure I can get him to agree. :wink:
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby scases » Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am

I got the Nikon D3000. I had only used a Nikon point and shoot before. It is bad but I haven't figured out very many of the features with the D3000. The D3000 has a guide feature that walks you through picking your settings. I have been using this until I can figure out how to hoot manual. The guide feature allows you to select otions such as soften background, moving animals/people and fast moving objects such as cars.
Me - 35, DH - 36
DD - 13, DS - 11, DD - 3

http://casesfamily.blogspot.com/

scases
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs