Feedback please!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Feedback please!

Postby Laureenjellybean » Sun May 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Hey everybody! I haven't posted over here yet. Would love some CC, as I'm still very much working on my skills. I REALLY lack editing ability!
These were shot in RAW with a Nikon D60.

1)Image
(I know there was dappled light in this one, but I couldn't figure out how to take a non-dappled light shot of this location (under an apple tree)
2)Image
3)Image
4)Image (this last one was more of an accidental shot that family and friends seemed to like)
Me: Laureen (30)
DH: Kenny (30)
Ds:Carter (2) (born Feb. 23, 2009)
DD: Calliana (born Oct 3,2010)
:angel: Feb 08' Baby Angelo-left us to Triploidy
:angel: :angel:-Nov 09' twin blighted ovum
:angel: July 11' early m/c
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:29 pm

I just love love the colors in the first two! Dappled light is hard, doesn't look like there were many places to avoid it there!

The 3rd one is a bit underexposed, he could definitely be brightened. Plus it looks like maybe there is a red color cast on his face?? I am not sure if it's a color cast or WB issue (i'm bad at identifying that stuff). Great bokeh in the background though and he looks so sweet!!

I'm not such a fan of the last one, lol. It's cute but not the best angle (up the nose!!). Plus he looks a bit yellow. But good focus. ;) I have lots of pictures of Jackson like this because he tries to eat the camera.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 am

Thanks Vicky! I suppose I could fix the exposure in the 3rd one, since I shot it raw...loving raw...thanks! Honestly, i don't know how to brighten/mask objects in a photo when editing. I suspect it is a WB issue with the red, as we were under a red play structure. What is bokeh? (feeling dumb here!)
The last one, I literally stuck my camera through his toy house and pressed the button. That's what came out. My family liked it, but you're right about the angle. LOL I think I may have even edited a snoogie out of the nose. :oops:
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:46 am

Ok I had a quick play! Hope you don't mind. Basically all I did was select just his face in PS and then did a curves adjustment to brighten midtones. Then I did an action to get out red skin tones. I'm not sure I'm totally happy with the skin tones but it was just a quick play. :D Then sharpened for web and voila, took me like 2 minutes!

victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Laureenjellybean » Mon May 03, 2010 10:37 am

Vicky-I like the edit. Does still look a hair pinky...but much better. How do you select certain parts to only edit that? Do you use the wand tool? I'm so lost on how to only edit certain parts. I used the MVP sharpening tool already on the pic. Where did you get the "get red of pink tones" action?
Laureenjellybean
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs