Editing with photoshop

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Editing with photoshop

Postby january » Fri May 21, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm so excited -- I'm lucky enough to have gotten my hands on photoshop cs5. I used to use photoshop for an old job and have REALLY missed having access to it. I'm a little rusty though, especially with all the things that are different from the cs2 version that I used to work with.

Are there any adjustments that you find yourself ALWAYS making? Editing that you think every person should do to every photo?

Also, do most of the edits or enhancements that you do with photoshop look as nice in print as they do on your computer screen?

In the past I had just been using picasa and while I liked my edited pics on my computer, I wasn't always impressed with them when I had them printed.

TIA!
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:56 pm

If your prints didn't match your screen, it's probably because you're not callibrated. They sell callibration software so that the color on your screen is the true color. Some monitors are worse than others. Also it could have been the place you printed from. I find that if I print from something like snapfish or walgreens, I have questionable processing. Your best bet is to print from somewhere like mpix.

The only adjustment I pretty much always make in photoshop is a curves adjustment. It's probably my favorite tool. Oh and I always do a sharpening action at the end. And I have a few other actions I like to play around with. Otherwise I do lots of other things but only occasionally.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby charlotteb » Sat May 22, 2010 8:20 am

I don't do very much in Photoshop anymore. Most of my adjustments (like white balance, brightness, etc.) are done in Lightroom. I still prefer to to B&W conversions in PS, simply because I created an action and it's pretty fast. Also, I sharpen all blogged images in PS as well. Other than that, I try to limit PS use.

+1 on calibrating! I use the Spyder2, and it's great. I calibrate once a month, and my prints come out looking great!
Me (Charlotte): 28
DH: 33
DS1: 3
DS2: Brand new!
Image 8/2010 1/2011 Chemical 4/2011

charlotteb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat May 22, 2010 9:43 am

charlotteb wrote:I don't do very much in Photoshop anymore. Most of my adjustments (like white balance, brightness, etc.) are done in Lightroom. I still prefer to to B&W conversions in PS, simply because I created an action and it's pretty fast. Also, I sharpen all blogged images in PS as well. Other than that, I try to limit PS use.

+1 on calibrating! I use the Spyder2, and it's great. I calibrate once a month, and my prints come out looking great!

Me too.

I use Spyder3 Pro to calibrate, and do 90% of my editing in LR. Mainly, just tweaking WB and exposure if needed. I'll do a curves bump and then sharpen.

I don't use contrast or saturation, if that helps you to know what people don't use. I do use them for landscapes though.

In CS4, I'll do cloning if necessary. The LR cloning tool is awful. I'll use photoshop for BW conversions too, and if the colour balance needs finer tuning.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby january » Sat May 22, 2010 10:57 am

Thank you for the advice and suggestions!

It's good to know to leave the saturation alone. I think that's where I've gotten myself in trouble in the past.

Can I ask you why you don't use PS much, charlotteb? I used to use it heavily, but that was doing extreme photo manipulation and graphic design type stuff for use on the internet, so I'm very much a novice when it comes to making minor adjustments for print.
Heather - 32
DH - 33
Violet - 12/31/08 (born on her EDD -- 6lb 13oz)
Eleanor & Cecilia - 6/26/12 (born 39 weeks 2 days -- 6lb 8oz & 7lb 10oz)

january
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby charlotteb » Sat May 22, 2010 11:11 am

january wrote:Thank you for the advice and suggestions!

It's good to know to leave the saturation alone. I think that's where I've gotten myself in trouble in the past.

Can I ask you why you don't use PS much, charlotteb? I used to use it heavily, but that was doing extreme photo manipulation and graphic design type stuff for use on the internet, so I'm very much a novice when it comes to making minor adjustments for print.

It takes too friggin' long to edit a wedding in PS. :) Lightroom makes work flow soooo much faster for me. Opening 2000 images in PS would just be insane. I'll do some retouching on close-up shots, and limited artsy stuff in PS. But for my style, I just don't require that much post-processing.
Me (Charlotte): 28
DH: 33
DS1: 3
DS2: Brand new!
Image 8/2010 1/2011 Chemical 4/2011

charlotteb
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun May 23, 2010 2:15 am

What I like about LR is that you can easily sync your edits in one image to another, to make it go faster. I was told that photoshop was designed for graphic designers, and LR for photographers.
And like Charlotte said, it does depend on your editing style. I prefer minimal processing to let the subjects shine.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby littlebug » Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 am

I use PS for all my editing :) I like to spend my time on the final images for my clients galleries, considering they end up with 30 on average. I always use curves, levels, unsharp mask and color balance!
Mummy to Noah 14-12-06 & Juliet 10-10-09
littlebug
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Sun May 23, 2010 11:17 am

I have not used ps that much for photography yet :oops: So far I've used it for a few graphic design projects. Most of the time I use LR for photos. I :hb: LR. The work layout is a lot more flowing and easier as Charlotte stated. I do need to start playing with PS some more. In few months more I'll have some classes that will use PS a ton with photography.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:50 am

wow there is a CS5?? wow am i behind i have CS3 how do you like CS5? i'm not 100% on CS3 as all i did was fiddle around with things alot of trial and error.
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby puddingpop » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:33 pm

SSgt_wifey CS5 just came out I think in February. I was pretty ticked about to be honest as I just got CS4 two weeks before :? Go figure.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:46 pm

I have CS4 and have seen the reviews comparing the two. I think if you are a graphic designer, you'd like some features of CS5. For photography though, CS4 has all (and more) that you need to touch up your photos since mostly all you need to do is correct colour balance, white balance, and some basic sharpening/softening etc.
The big thing in CS5 is the content awareness when cloning, etc, which isn't something you'll need very often.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs