My new favourite location!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

My new favourite location!

Postby blue-eden » Fri May 28, 2010 1:39 am

I was worried about this spot, because our area does have stray dogs. But I took M there and they weren't a problem :)
LOVE this location and it's literally 5 seconds up the street! A whole block full of forest, with paths!

I think the settings were iso 200, ss 1/400 f2.8. The SS might have changed on a few.

Mommy goggles, and I chopped her arm but I love her face in it. :hb:

I think Vic might have the right idea with the 85 mm. I think I might order it next month, but I'm still considering a zoom. Any recs? I was considering the 24-70 mm 2.8, but when I PMed people about it, I hear that it's more a studio lens and the bokeh outdoors sucks rocks.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kylie » Fri May 28, 2010 2:33 pm

These are beautiful. I know I've said it before but you are so lucky to have such great locations close by.
I don't have input on the zoom lens. I've hardly had time to take any decent photos lately but when I do I'm still loving the 90mm macro for outdoor portraits.
Me 38
DP Dan 47
DSD Vivienne 20
DSS Ethan 18
DSS Jesse 16
DS Harrison Lucas 8 DOB August 14th 2007
http://www.kyliedewaard.com
Kylie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Blue those are stunning :D Number 3 is my favorite. I would go with the 85mm my self. I have got to go location hunting. If the weather is nice this weekend (at this point I'll take overcast with no rain) I'll go a find some locations.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat May 29, 2010 8:59 am

Locations are pretty tough here too. The problem isn't the beauty, it's the light. Either dappled, or full sun, and there are few places where you can get to that have open shade and because of the mountains that block the yummy evening light, "golden light" is pretty hard to come by here.
But I did luck out with this spot! I read a tut on ILP by Andrea Joki on finding "pockets" and I've kept my eye out for small spots that will work. With a narrow DOF, you can make a surprisingly small space work!

I looked up zooms, and it seems that the only two that are pro lenses in zooms are crappy for outdoors and bokeh. So I might go with the 85 and the 35, to cover my bases and stick with the two zooms I already have that cover the 18-80 range.

Thanks for the input guys!
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

I saw these on facebook (at least the first one I did). I really love the location! And great eye contact on a couple of them. :)

I have been loving my 85mm. I don't have a zoom so I can't compare. I know it'll suck in the winter when I have to do more indoor stuff, but then I'll just go back to my 50mm and I can do outdoor stuff in the winter sometimes too. I say go for it! Although it's easy for me to talk other people into spending their money. ;)
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun May 30, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks Vic!
It's just such a chunk of change I want to be really sure, kwim?

Do you find that you get really bad CA with it? I hear it's a big problem with the 85 mm, and I really like to shoot backlit shots.

I'm sure I'll be rampantly limb chopping until I get used to it. But the big draw is being able to take portrait shots, from a distance so the kids don't notice me as much.
I also hear that you can get sharper full body shots with a longer lens. Which is good, and I find the 50 mm doesn't give me the tack sharp images I want on full body shots. Did you notice a difference in the quality for full body shots?

I was also advised to close down for full body shots, since both the 50 and the 85 are much sharper around f4 than they are when used under F3.

Any tips? Any tips on how to shoot with it too, like angling of the body, etc?
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:27 am

Yes I do get more CA with the 85mm than with the 50mm. None of it has been really bad, except for some pictures I took of DS last weekend that were backlit. I will post them on another thread, you should check it out.

But full body shots are much sharper than with my 50 and the bokeh is much better too I think. Great depth of field. I'm really happy overall.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs