first cc

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

first cc

Postby red_head » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:30 pm

so, i've started to try and learn more about my camera (nikon d40) and editing (i only have pse 6...dh said i could upgrade to something better but i don't see the sense in doing so until i understand more about photography in general). i've had more time and really started trying here recently. i took this pic the other day with my oldest and would like some cc from you ladies. btw, i'm terrified to post here. hahaha! excuse the chapped nose....

sooc
ISO 200
1/500 sec
f/5.00
**i'm still learning what these numbers mean *exactly*. lots of reading is going on right now on my days off, or between patients while at work.

Amy & Matt
Sam (5) Judah (4) Eden (our Ugandan beauty....3) Canaan (1) Pregnant with a baby GIRL!!!

red_head
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:56 pm

HeyHey! thanks for posting these wonderful photos. I'm still learning the photography lingo. My only thought was the first one is a little dark needs to be lightened other than that those are great shots :)
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby chantellee » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:03 pm

Don't be terrified! We love looking at photos and the only way you'll keep growing is to keep trying to learn.

The first one that is sooc is a little underexposed. What setting are you in on your camera? If you're on manual, don't be afriad to go away from the line a little that shows the "perfect" exposure. What the camera thinks is perfect isn't always that.

The first edited you blew out a little too far and lost a little detail in the face. The eyes look beautiful and a good crop, taking away the distraction.

With the black and white, darken a little more and up the contrast a bit. Converting to black and white in post editing can be tricky to keep the photo from looking flat.

Definitely keep going! You're doing very good and you only ever get better. Can't wait to see the progression of your photos as you go!

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby red_head » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:55 am

thank you so much ladies! i'm sure there will be more where this came from. i really just want to learn to take GOOD pics of my kiddos. it's kind of a fun stress reliever. :D
Amy & Matt
Sam (5) Judah (4) Eden (our Ugandan beauty....3) Canaan (1) Pregnant with a baby GIRL!!!

red_head
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:43 pm

Hey Amy! Love seeing you taking pictures!

Did you shoot in RAW? The original picture is underexposed and then the edited pictures his shirt is totally blown. If you shot in RAW, there are ways to fix those things. But always better to overexpose just a tad rather than underexpose so you don't get grainy images. If you don't shoot in RAW, you should definitely learn!

His skin color also doesn't look very natural in the edited color version.

On the plus side, I like the composition of the edit and he's got great catchlights. Plus you have a good b&w conversion, except for it being a bit blown. So you're heading in the right direction! :D
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs