Finally started shooting in manual!!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Finally started shooting in manual!!

Postby laurab007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 pm

We were in Kauai for 10 days and I mostly shot in manual. I just did a lot of playing around and I really learned a lot. I learned all this when I shot w/film, but it's been so long and I haven't had time to really play around w/my dslr. I've learned a lot from this forum.

I've been wanting to do play around and practice, but just haven't had the time or a great subject to shoot. Hawaii is great b/c it's so pretty there and there is so much to take pictures of. DD was semi-cooperative, but I was able to get some cute pics of her playing and swimming, and played w/my exposure in the process.

I had challenges w/lighting, so I often had to adjust my shutter speed, and w/the auto setting, they would not have come out right. I'll post pics when I have some time time. I've been crazy busy w/buying a house, a big move and a trip to Hawaii. I hope to have some free time when dd starts preschool in a few weeks!
Last edited by laurab007 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 pm

ooooh so jealous and they sound great!

Where are you moving to? Congrats on the house!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:34 pm

blue-eden wrote:ooooh so jealous and they sound great!

Where are you moving to? Congrats on the house!

We still live in LA, but we moved to a different part, only about 20 minutes away. We are now living in Long Beach. The housing market here is so crazy. We were having a hard time finding a house in our target area b/c prices are almost $1 million for a starter house. In addition, there is very little inventory and houses that are priced right and are decent are selling like hotcakes. Crazy, I know, but that's how this market is b/c it's been so inflated and now that it's come down, people like us who have been saving to buy are jumping on it.

Soooo, after a 9 month search, we had no luck, so we branched out a bit and decided to look farther afield. We ended up buying a house from my sister's friends and did a fsbo. The house is a 1928 Spanish style house in a historic district.
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:46 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah jealous again!! LOL!

We are thinking hard about buying here too. The market is crashing because of the whole economy-going-down-the-crapper situation here in Greece, so it might be a good time for us to buy.
I'd like a small house with a large yard, just on the outskirts of where we live now, with a small vineyard, olive trees, and lemon trees.

It sounds like you found a DREAM home! I can't wait for pics of it!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:01 am

the first day or two when i got my cam i was playing with manual, not only was i getting the feel for my camera but lets just say there was ALOT of cussing like a sailor to somewhat get it LOL Then i saw this tutorial video on youtube and just NOW understand it lol its really informative its this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQw28-3LEU4.
Funny y'all are mentionig LA, i have a good friend that lives there everytime i visit her(which isn't alot, sadly) i get a flashback of when i first visited there. I'm a small town girl and then visiting her and landed in the middle of downtown LA(where the underground train station stops) holy moly, to make long story short. You know that situation where the nerd or person gets scared in a embarassing situation and they pee themselves??? that was soooooooo me minus the peeing myself in public LOL I called my friend who was to pick me up i told her to give me play by play on where she was. she was just laughing her tushie off on the way to picking me up. Its so funny now, but looking back so not LOL Now i don't like LA for the traffic jams or traffic in small street ways.
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby laurab007 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:02 pm

ssgt_wifey_usmc wrote:the first day or two when i got my cam i was playing with manual, not only was i getting the feel for my camera but lets just say there was ALOT of cussing like a sailor to somewhat get it LOL Then i saw this tutorial video on youtube and just NOW understand it lol its really informative its this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQw28-3LEU4.
Funny y'all are mentionig LA, i have a good friend that lives there everytime i visit her(which isn't alot, sadly) i get a flashback of when i first visited there. I'm a small town girl and then visiting her and landed in the middle of downtown LA(where the underground train station stops) holy moly, to make long story short. You know that situation where the nerd or person gets scared in a embarassing situation and they pee themselves??? that was soooooooo me minus the peeing myself in public LOL I called my friend who was to pick me up i told her to give me play by play on where she was. she was just laughing her tushie off on the way to picking me up. Its so funny now, but looking back so not LOL Now i don't like LA for the traffic jams or traffic in small street ways.

Carolyn - lol about your visit to LA! I feel totally out of sorts when I'm in a small town. I need more going on and more stimulation, b/c that's what I'm used to. My dh's family is from Rockford, IL and that seems so small town to me, even w/150,000 people!
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:45 pm

laurab007 wrote: My dh's family is from Rockford, IL and that seems so small town to me, even w/150,000 people!

SO funny! All my family is out in Rockford too :wink: I grew up in Rockton, IL. :D

I NEED Chicago living though! Although I grew up in a small town I am NOT a small town girl..I need the big city. :D

CONGRATS on your new home!

Can't wait to see some of your M pix!
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ssgt_wifey_usmc » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:38 am

laurab007 wrote:
ssgt_wifey_usmc wrote:the first day or two when i got my cam i was playing with manual, not only was i getting the feel for my camera but lets just say there was ALOT of cussing like a sailor to somewhat get it LOL Then i saw this tutorial video on youtube and just NOW understand it lol its really informative its this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQw28-3LEU4.

Carolyn - lol about your visit to LA! I feel totally out of sorts when I'm in a small town. I need more going on and more stimulation, b/c that's what I'm used to. My dh's family is from Rockford, IL and that seems so small town to me, even w/150,000 people!

ok you got me there LOL small towns are soooooooooo sooo boring esp. when you were born and raised in a small town, i'll admit i like LA just scared to drive in LA. When i do visit there, i have my friend drive she makes it so easy driving in LA LOL sorry to change the topic, i just had to share my first time to LA story hehe.
~Carolyn (GRAND OPENING)
ImageImage

ImageImageImage
ssgt_wifey_usmc
Angel
Angel

Postby photofashionista » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:36 pm

yay! A fellow SoCalian. :) Congrats on your new house! Shooting in manual is so much fun once you get the hang of it. I've been doing it for years and still constantly learn new tricks. You win some and you lose some but the options are endless!
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs