Share from recent session

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Postby blue-eden » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:07 am

Only the one built into my camera. But I know that if it's on "O" when I meter off my subject's cheek, I have to overexpose by a stop or so for Caucasian skin to compensate. So I push the meter so it's "exposed to the right" (ie. the right of zero).
I shoot Nikon, which has exposure like this as a default
+........0.........-
and I've switched it around to read like a Canon meter. I just prefer it that way.

So Nikon shooters who have not switched their meters, it would actually be "exposed to the left".
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:02 pm

Basia, yep Tasha and Blue are correct! Properly exposed, great light, and correct white balance. When I'm looking for the best place to take pictures, the families always say things like "that would be a nice background", but I'm looking at where the light would be the best. It's seriously all about the light. :)

I actually did very little photoshopping to those images. I corrected the WB in ACR and then did a slight s-curve adjustment, but that's seriously about it. Possibly in a couple I sponged the background a little bit to bring out more color.

I just use the meter that's in my camera and expose to the right. I look at my histogram A LOT.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby basia » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Thank you ladies :) this is very helpful
Alek 10/05
Charlie 7/10
basia
Addicted
Addicted

Postby **Tasha** » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:14 pm

blue-eden wrote:Only the one built into my camera. But I know that if it's on "O" when I meter off my subject's cheek, I have to overexpose by a stop or so for Caucasian skin to compensate. So I push the meter so it's "exposed to the right" (ie. the right of zero).
+........0.........-
and I've switched it around to read like a Canon meter. I just prefer it that way.

So Nikon shooters who have not switched their meters, it would actually be "exposed to the left".

THANK YOU!

Now, you wanna tell me the secret for Tyren's skin? :rofl:
ImageImage
Mommy to:
Kaiden: 06/22/07
Elizabeth: 08/19/2008

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:40 pm

**Tasha** wrote:
blue-eden wrote:Only the one built into my camera. But I know that if it's on "O" when I meter off my subject's cheek, I have to overexpose by a stop or so for Caucasian skin to compensate. So I push the meter so it's "exposed to the right" (ie. the right of zero).
+........0.........-

THANK YOU!

Now, you wanna tell me the secret for Tyren's skin? :rofl:

Don't expose to the right!!! LOL!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Previous

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs