Mentors?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Mentors?

Postby heartchya » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

So I see some of you make mention of your photography mentors. How does that happen? Just someone you know, or did you hire a professional to help you, or what? I need one!
Tara (34)
DD1 Mia 11-04-08

heartchya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:51 pm

Hey Heartchya,

I don't have a mentor yet :( But that's cause I have not meet someone to be my mentor IRL. I've put the word out though and soon I will start to hunt one down. You can look for local photography clubs to join and let friends and family know you are looking for a serious photography buddy/teacher.

Here though is another story. There a few ladies I look to here. All I have to do is ask. So much sure you ask here as well too :wink:
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 am

I was invited by a working photographer to be her mentee, which has been great.
Really though, it's just critique of your work, and you may not always agree with what your mentor says because of differences of artistic vision, etc.
But they are good for learning to see colour and all that, which is something I worked hard to achieve.

I agree, just posting here is the best way because you get more voices :)
Or you can try to find someone in your area? Maybe put out an ad?
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby heartchya » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:31 pm

I guess I am looking for someone to give me like a detail to work on each week, or an assignment, and then to give me feedback on how I did, and tips on how to improve, then re-evaluate once I go back and work on the assignment again. I imagine I could do that by posting here!

I know you guys used to do a weekly challenge. Any chance of that again as maybe that would get me motivated each week!
Tara (34)
DD1 Mia 11-04-08

heartchya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 am

Heartchya, we used to do that but it kind of fell off. I would LOVE to start that up again though! With the weekly themes, or things to work on, and then we critique each other (kindly, with helpful suggestions).

If you want to pick something you'd like to work on for your assignment, I'll do it along with you!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:09 am

blue-eden wrote:Heartchya, we used to do that but it kind of fell off. I would LOVE to start that up again though! With the weekly themes, or things to work on, and then we critique each other (kindly, with helpful suggestions).

If you want to pick something you'd like to work on for your assignment, I'll do it along with you!

I would like to do this, too. Now that Sophie's in preschool I have more time. I still need to learn how to do PP, but I can post sooc pics for composition cc.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby heartchya » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am

Awesome!

I really don't even know topics to pick from, since I am so new. So far I have learned about apeture priority, shutter priority, and a few composition rules. I don't have any editing software, so all my pics would be sooc. I don't know what actions are, I don't know white grey scale and white balance or any of that stuff is.

So, all that to say, Blue, why don't you pick? Would you start the thread too? As so many more people know you here, you'd probably get more views and thus participants than me. After we do a couple, then I would "get it" more, and then love to pick a topic!
Tara (34)
DD1 Mia 11-04-08

heartchya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm

I would really love to participate too! I love coming and lurking this section and have lots to learn. :)
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby JakobsMomma » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 am

I'm always just lurking here, but I'd love to join in after we move in a couple of weeks! I'm rusty and need to shoot more.
JakobsMomma
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs