Editing Program

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Editing Program

Postby heartchya » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

I am getting my Christmas list in ordera bit early. :oops: What should I ask for? Nothing crazy expensive, please.
Tara (34)
DD1 Mia 11-04-08

heartchya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I have Photoshop Elements. Bought it the day after Thanksgiving at Office Depot or Staples (can't remember which one :oops: ). They had a $20 rebate off the $79 price, or some kind of discount, which made it pretty cheap.

Of course, I have yet to use it. :oops:
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Photoshop Elements is a good starter.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 am

Elements is a good starter :wink:

I just upgraded to the CS5 collection :D
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Minda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 am

I was coming on here to ask this same question!. I have Elements and it's okay, good basic program. Depends on what you want to do I think. If you are just wanting it for editing family photos, it will be great! However, I'd love to go pro someday and I've been told by a professional that I need the real deal CS5 and Lightroom 3. From what I am reading/thinking, I should probably get LR3 and be fine with that and Elements. Sorry to hijack, I am just wondering if anyone has experience with LR?
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:17 pm

lightroom is a good starter too ;)
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:26 pm

I love LightRoom :D It is by far my favorite editing tool. Super nice work flow and easy, for up loading, developing, to publishing(on the web).
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I use elements and it's definitely a good enough program to use as a professional. The only thing it lacks is that you can't use as many actions with it as you can with regular photoshop, but if you know how to use it, you can do pretty much everything with it. :)
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby heartchya » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:14 pm

The Lightroom softaware is $300 and Elements is less than $100 right now. So, is Lightroom 3x as good? I guess LIghtroom is just easier to use? Ease of use is important to me, because I have zero prior experience.

Victoria I love your pics, so if you can do that in Elements, it sounds good to me! And yes, I know YOU TOOK THE PIC, not just edited. Didn't mean to sound like it was just the program.
Tara (34)
DD1 Mia 11-04-08

heartchya
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm

Tara,
If you know somebody who is a student, you can get student discounts for photoshop and lightroom. I think my student discount took lightroom down to 99 bucks. If you dont know any students then go with elements. Light does not do actions like photoshop and elements does.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 pm

I have all three, Lightroom 3, Creative Suite 4 Extended version (most of the CS are almost all the same), and Elements 7.

LR is great, but it's limited and there is a huge learning curve. It's great for global edits, but for doing colour casts and more intricate work, I turn to CS4. LR uses an adjustment brush, instead of layers. I find layers much easier to work with. Also, the cloning tool in LR just plain sucks. I never do any cloning in LR. Also, black and white is better in Photoshop. There is no gradient map or LAB option(which is also great for doing colour pops) in LR.

I do my basic adjustment in LR (exposure and white balance tweaks, tone curve, and maybe an adjustment brush or using the gradient tool on backgrounds) and then move over to CS4 for any colour correction or cloning. The layers in CS are invaluable because you can use masks. Elements doesn't have masks, but you can kind of re-create it if you work on layers and then use the eraser tool.

Elements is really great though, you just don't have the same options for colour corrections and other fine tuning.

I don't use actions. But there are plug ins that work like actions for LR too.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:09 pm

heartchya wrote:
Victoria I love your pics, so if you can do that in Elements, it sounds good to me! And yes, I know YOU TOOK THE PIC, not just edited. Didn't mean to sound like it was just the program.

Lol I wasn't offended. And thank you!

I would love to get CS5 one day, and I will probably get it before my hubby is finished with school. It's a pretty amazing deal with the student discount, but I got elements on sale for about 60 bucks and CS5 with a student discount is around 300. Even though it's a great deal, that's still a LOT more money to me! I already have spent so much on lenses and the camera that I couldn't justify spending so much more right now.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Minda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:59 am

puddingpop wrote:Tara,
If you know somebody who is a student, you can get student discounts for photoshop and lightroom. I think my student discount took lightroom down to 99 bucks. If you dont know any students then go with elements. Light does not do actions like photoshop and elements does.

Would you just have them buy it for you online?
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Minda » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:03 pm

blue-eden wrote:LR is great, but it's limited and there is a huge learning curve. It's great for global edits, but for doing colour casts and more intricate work, I turn to CS4. LR uses an adjustment brush, instead of layers. I find layers much easier to work with. Also, the cloning tool in LR just plain sucks. I never do any cloning in LR. Also, black and white is better in Photoshop. There is no gradient map or LAB option(which is also great for doing colour pops) in LR.

I do my basic adjustment in LR (exposure and white balance tweaks, tone curve, and maybe an adjustment brush or using the gradient tool on backgrounds) and then move over to CS4 for any colour correction or cloning. The layers in CS are invaluable because you can use masks. Elements doesn't have masks, but you can kind of re-create it if you work on layers and then use the eraser tool.

Elements is really great though, you just don't have the same options for colour corrections and other fine tuning.

I don't use actions. But there are plug ins that work like actions for LR too.

This is about what I have heard. I am interested in using plug ins with LR, so I'll probably still get it. I shoot in RAW generally so I can use ACR with PSE to adjust exposure and white balance if need be. Thanks for the info!! Now I just have to figure out where/how to buy Lightroom!
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby michellejune » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:41 am

I don't know if you got something yet but this is todays steal on Snagstuff. Photoshop elements 6 for $2.99!!! I know version 8 is better but it's a good way to start and see if you like it!

http://www.snaggstuff.com/software.html
michellejune
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs