Help!! Facebook issues

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Help!! Facebook issues

Postby Minda » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:47 am

So, I started a FB fan page to take post pictures for friends and eventually clients. I am still in the "free" stage and probably will be for a while. Anyways, yesterday I did 2 shoots with my new "studio" and they turned out well (well, one of them did). My problem is that when I post pictures on FB they look "fuzzy". What gives? In my computer gallery they don't look fuzzy! Here is the link so you can see what I'm talking about. Look at the albumn called "Best Friends".
www.facebook.com/imagesbymelinda
CC on any of my pictures is also welcome!!
Thanks ladies!
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:50 am

I see what you're talking about, mine aren't usually that bad, but it has to do w/ facebook compressing them (if I'm right, i'm sure that's what I read on here!) I know a lot of people complain about it! It sucks!

ps. the best friends album is the worse. I don't see it (as bad) in the others.
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:04 am

try posting a couple of pics in a smaller file size and see if that helps with the blurriness. If FB doesn't have to compress the files as much (because they are smaller) they might not appear as blurry. I usually post rather small files and they aren't blurry at all.

HTH!

ETA: smaller file size doesn't necessarily mean smaller picture size. For online posting you don't need the highest quality saved (the high quality won't necessarily show up anyway). Try a lower quality to get your size smaller.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Babydreamer1326 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am

did you sharpen these photos? Most sharpening on photos, fb distorts it. BLAH!
Deztyni Dezyrae, 7/13/06
Caydyn Tayeshaun, 9/26/07
Layla Tymprynce, 3/20/09

Babydreamer1326
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby **Tasha** » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Make sure you are saving your photo's in the right color format. (I'll have to look it up I can't remember which one.) and Resize your photo so that the biggest dimension is no larger than 600 pixels. Facebook automatically sizes the pictures to that dimension.
ImageImage
Mommy to:
Kaiden: 06/22/07
Elizabeth: 08/19/2008

**Tasha**
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Minda » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks ladies!

Babydreamer1326 wrote:did you sharpen these photos? Most sharpening on photos, fb distorts it. BLAH!

Yes, I do sharpen, so maybe that is why.

Tasha- I think you are thinking of RGB? That is what I use anyways.
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby chantellee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:28 pm

I use Photoshop Elements right now. And what I do is first save the full size file for printing. Then have a seperate folder for online use. And what I first do is edit the image size. I first change the Resolution to 72, then change whatever the largest number is for the deminsions (whether width or height) I change to 720. The other usually changes to 482 unless I did cropping in an odd way. After I save that, I go to Unsharp Mask. I set the Amount to 60% and the Radius to 0.5 pixels. I don't touch the Threshold. From there I "Save For Web" and save in the highest quality in jpg. I have noticed this helps a ton. Hope it either works for you, or you find something that does.

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Minda » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:54 am

chantellee wrote:I use Photoshop Elements right now. And what I do is first save the full size file for printing. Then have a seperate folder for online use. And what I first do is edit the image size. I first change the Resolution to 72, then change whatever the largest number is for the deminsions (whether width or height) I change to 720. The other usually changes to 482 unless I did cropping in an odd way. After I save that, I go to Unsharp Mask. I set the Amount to 60% and the Radius to 0.5 pixels. I don't touch the Threshold. From there I "Save For Web" and save in the highest quality in jpg. I have noticed this helps a ton. Hope it either works for you, or you find something that does.

Thanks. I have 2 questions. Is the 720 in inches or a different measure (inches didn't seem to be working)?
DO you leave the Threshold as 0?
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Christina-BFPinMT » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:26 am

720 pixels I'm sure is what they mean :)
Christina
ImageImage
ImageImage
Christina-BFPinMT
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chantellee » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Yes, 720 pixels, sorry lol. And yes, the threshold is left at 0

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5