Follow up Question on Exposure meter

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Follow up Question on Exposure meter

Postby AnchorsAway » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 am

I'm spinning off from Vicki's thread:
http://www.twoweekwait.com/preg/communi ... c&t=174903

In ref to upping the meter to the right just a bit for bright faces: When shooting in manual, do you use shutter speed to adjust the meter? That always seems to be the quickest, easiest option for me. However, Exposure and app will do the same thing.... but by the time I've fiddled with them, the shot is gone (I usually am running around after my 1yr old snapping pictures...)

Basically, Vicki's sooc shots are way better than my sooc shots :lol: ... I usually find it's the crispness/brightness of faces that I have trouble capturing!!!
~Me: 31
~Dh: 34
~DS: 16 Months~

~04/12/2010: At our 20wk Scan it was discovered that our baby boy has a heart defect (Overriding Aorta, Tetrology of Fallout). We are praying for Mason's health and are remaining positive throughout this journey~
http://preciousmason.blogspot.com/
[/URL]Image
AnchorsAway
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:52 am

When running after a 1 yr old or shooting anything where the shot might be lost (weddings, events, etc) don't shoot in full manual mode. Set your camera to either aperture or shutter mode so that you are only changing one or the other (will make it much faster to get the correct exposure before your shot is lost). If you have a family getting posed, or studio shots or something then you have time for full manual. Otherwise you might miss a lot of great shots while you're playing with settings. Which one you use will depend on the type of shot you want and the particular situation you're shooting in: aperture setting for lighting, shutter for movement.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 am

I always shoot in manual. You get faster with the settings and (just my opinion though) manual allows you much more creativity.

I usually use the shutter speed to change exposure. BUT I won't go below a certain shutter speed for toddlers. If I have little light and need to change exposure beyond that, I up my ISO.

Again, I can do this very fast now, without even looking at the dials. I don't change aperture unless absolutely necessary, but I always shoot very wide open anyway so I rarely have to change it for exposure anyway. Changing aperture and shutter speed do VERY different things. I prefer a wide ap to get good bokeh and narrow depth of focus.

If you want to practice, how about getting someone to model for you, or using a doll? Lots of people practice exposure this way :)
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Aww Neysa you're so sweet! Your pictures are improving so much!

I always shoot in manual too, even with toddlers. Even for snapshots. :) It's second nature now to adjust the settings. I usually adjust the SS first, but like Blue I won't go below 1/125 (very bare minimum) so if I start getting below 1/200, then I might adjust my ap just a bit, or go straight for the ISO if it requires a bigger adjustment.

Can you stick Carter in a chair or something so he can't escape? :lol:

Oh the other thing about the bright crisp faces... you need to find the light! Your settings could be perfect, but if their faces are shadowed or turned away from the light, you won't have the bright faces you're looking for. I know it's hard with toddlers, but practice makes perfect!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs