Busy background focus problems

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Busy background focus problems

Postby Minda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:14 am

Sorry for posting such dumb questions. I bought this really cool fabric as a background but my camara is having a terrible time focusing on the things I want it to focus on with it. So, could a background be too busy and screwing up the autofocus? Is my shutterspeed just too low? These are SOOC too, except the middle one but I didn't sharpen it. Just played with contrast and exposure a bit. I hope someone can help lol.

This one is decent, but the focus is still to soft I think.
When I used the white background he (and the block) seem a bit sharper.
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby Minda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 am

Also, I should say that I wouldn't normally use that background with him. Just test-driving it. I also think I will only be using the background with newborns (if I keep it).
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:15 pm

I don't know what kind of camera you're using or anything...do you select your focus point or just let it choose for you? My camera I can choose where I want my focus to be by choosing a different focus point so I can tell it to focus on the face instead of the background.

You could also play with your depth of field and see if it helps to make it bigger so everything is more in the focus plane or shallower so that the background blurs more and your subject is sharper.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Minda » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 pm

I can select the focus point by pushing halfway down on the shutter button. I have a Nikon D3000, so it's not really a professional camara LOL.
Mommy to Austin James
Minda
Star Member
Star Member

Postby blue-eden » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:58 pm

I don't think it's the background. I've seen lots of photogs use this kind of damask background, just make sure you are toggling focus and have the exposure right. Underexposing will cause focus issues.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs