baby/kid skin

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

baby/kid skin

Postby Emmo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:01 pm

I always see these pics where the colors are very bright but the skin tone is so light and soft... how do you do that? I use photoshop, but mostly lightroom to change coloring. But can't really get that soft very light peachy look I see in other photos. The skin tone looks pretty, especially for adults who would rather look tan, but sometimes I want kids skin to look less pigmented...

Me: 31
DH: 32
DS: 4 (Nov 2008 baby)
DD: 1 (Nov 2011 baby)

Image Image :cloth diapering:
Emmo
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Your picture looks a little underexposed. Did you shoot in RAW? Try brightening it up a bit!

Also it looks like the catchlights in the older boy's eyes are pretty small, which makes me think you were kind of far away from the window or light source. When I'm inside, I usually have to put my subjects right by the window to get the best light. Lighting will make a big difference in the nice bright skin tones as well!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:28 pm

I agree with Vic, the pic is pretty underexposed.
Underexposing usually causes that "orange" look in people.

If you have an editing program, try brightening the midtones (with curves or by bringing the middle slider in Levels to the left) and then bringing back the blacks just a smidge (the far left slider, move it slightly to the right).

Having the kids FACING the light is the best way, because the front of them will be bright, and the back darker, which helps contrast them from the background and keeps the light on them.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs