CC/help please

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

CC/help please

Postby coastieschick » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:18 pm

I just got my Olympus E-410 today. So far its been kinda challenging to figure out so I am just using Auto but I changed a few settings there. My manual setting just takes black pictures so IDK???

I did ISO 400!?

Anyways like I said still learning/basically have no idea what I am doing, these are just a few shots but what would your suggestions be on these, settings, places to learn more, etc...

coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:05 pm

He's such a cutie! Looks like you're off to a great start, it definitely takes some practice to get manual figured out but it gets easy after a while!

Your shots are probably black because the picture is underexposed. I don't know much about the camera you have, but when shooting indoors you are doing to probably need a low shutter speed (1/100 is the absolute lowest I would go with kids) and have your aperture as low as possible as well. I usually shoot around 2.2 but some lenses don't go that low.

Here's a good website for understanding manual mode a little more...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/ ... -part-one/
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:18 pm

thanks, I'll check it out...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:46 am

Hey coasties :)

He's such a darling subject so practice should be easy. :wink:

I also don't know anything about that camera, except that olympus is a great brand. I'm only familiar with Cannon and even then, marginally so. As far as settings are concerned the sky is the limit! Feel free to be as creative as you want to get. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but trial and error is a huge part of photography. For an infant keep the background pretty simple. A sheet or blanket always works great. If you have a bean bag that is a very helpful base to take pictures on with infants. Just form a dip in the middle to prop them up. Some pillows or a boppy can work also, then just lay a blanket over it and tape on edge up on the wall.

A natural light source like a big window with plenty of indirect sunlight is very flattering and easy to work with. If you are getting harsh shadows on one side you can buy a peice of white poster board (thick) to use as a reflector to bounce the light and fill in the shadows. Very low tech but effective. If your window has really bright direct sunlight then hang a white sheet over it to diffuse the light more.

As for shooting in manual that's a hard thing to learn and will take lots of practice. It's worth your time to learn though. You can start by using the AP (aperture priority) setting first so all you do is set the aperture on your camera and it will automatically adjust the shutter speed for you. The lower the number on your ap. the harder it will be to focus, but that will also give you the blurry background effect. The larger the number the more narrow your depth of field and the easier it will be to focus and the background will be more clear. So there are a lot of cool effects you can acheive without going full manual.

As for ISO it all depends on your lighting and how fast your subject is moving. Just read up a little on how that works. I try to shoot with 100 ISO as much as possible, but 400 should still be ok.

If you are getting black pictures it just means that your settings are off and they aren't properly exposed. I think you said this happens when in manual which would make sense.

Shutter speed lets in light as does aperture. The right combination of both equals a properly exposed picture. Different combinations of both will equal different effects within the image. Does that make sense? So if you have a wide apeture setting (smaller the number) then you will need a slightly faster shutter speed to compensate or the image will be overexposed and all white. If you use a smaller apeture setting (higher number) then you will need a slower shutter speed to let in more light. A slower shutter speed (smaller number like 40-100) means you will risk blurring if you or your subject moves.

Hope that helped you get started a bit. Just play a round a bunch and do some reading on basic manual settings and how they all work together. It took me a while to learn the concept (not sure why, I just didn't get it). But once it makes sense it's a lot easier to play around with and you'll figure out what settings are comfortable for you.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:08 pm

Yeah I have noticed just playing around I am understanding more what each thing does and have been adjusting things here and there. I'm most proud about using the eyepiece and not the LCD to take pics I never thought I could go back to shooting like that, lol.

Thanks for all your tips, I LOVE the poster board tip b/c lets face it, I'm super cheap hehe
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:44 pm

lol, i'm cheap too. :)

Even though I do have some studio lights, all the pictures in my signature don't have a fancy backdrop. One is a faded black sheet over a bean bag and some pillows. LoL. I can't charge people money for photos because my set up is totally unprofessional. :rofl:
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:26 am

Well your pics are adorable! I'm a ways away from trying to charge people anyways, onnnnnnnne day though who knows...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs