My portraits :)

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

My portraits :)

Postby flipflop1117 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 am

I have done my own portraits for 3 months and 6 months. Are they decent?

3 months

6 months

I'd like to keep doing them rather then take him somewhere, but worry they look too amateur? Thanks for any feed back!
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
Jaxon Russel 3~15~10, Alexa Leigh 10~11~12
flipflop1117

Postby photofashionista » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:54 am

Oh my gosh, he has the cutest little face!!!!

You need to work on your focus and try using a sheet or blanket as a backdrop. It looks like you have a pretty good natural light source which is always more flattering than a flash.

#1 and 3 are super cute. :)
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blessedmommy » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 pm

What type of camera do you use?

I personally would ditch the props(stuff animals). I feel like they distract you from him cuteness. He is cute enough to need no props:wink:

In the 6 month pictures the focus seems to fall more on the backdrop leaving him a bit blurred. Your B&W's are a bit dark.

Also try backing up a bit. You are so close. If you print these and frame them, the frame will cut even more off the photo. I try to always leave a little extra space for that.
Me-25, DH-26, DD#1-5yo-diabetic, DD#2-3yo, DS#2- March 25, 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abfamilyphoto/

blessedmommy
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flipflop1117 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for the advice! It's a Nikon Cool Pix s80.

How do you keep them sitting well with no props? Jaxon usually wont sit still unless I give him something to hold.
"And maybe that's what my scars really are...proof I've put myself back together." ~ Carrie Ryan
flipflop1117

Postby victoria_1024 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:59 pm

#8 and #9 are so cute!!

You got good advice already, I think you're headed in the right direction but you definitely have some focus issues. Backing up a little bit will help the focus be more crisp.

As for getting him to sit up, try a bean bag. Cover it with a big blanket, drape the blanket up behind him over the back of a chair. Just make a big indent in the bean bag and he should be able to sit up on his own in that, and you've got yourself a "studio". :)

Just a quick example...
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flipflop1117 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:41 pm

victoria_1024 wrote:#8 and #9 are so cute!!

You got good advice already, I think you're headed in the right direction but you definitely have some focus issues. Backing up a little bit will help the focus be more crisp.

As for getting him to sit up, try a bean bag. Cover it with a big blanket, drape the blanket up behind him over the back of a chair. Just make a big indent in the bean bag and he should be able to sit up on his own in that, and you've got yourself a "studio". :)

Just a quick example...

Thanks!
flipflop1117

Postby AmandaP » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 am

You do have a good handle on using natural light, so thats a plus. I agree with other that the focus is slighty off. If you are trying to get really close with that cam, there is a macro feature, dial it to the little flower symbol and you can get infocus and super close to his pretty eyes. What a cutie!
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby flipflop1117 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:55 pm

AmandaP wrote:You do have a good handle on using natural light, so thats a plus. I agree with other that the focus is slighty off. If you are trying to get really close with that cam, there is a macro feature, dial it to the little flower symbol and you can get infocus and super close to his pretty eyes. What a cutie!

Thanks, I will def. try the macro feature!

I had a film camera. It's a Nikon, too, I don't remember the model # but it's got a nice zoom lens and when I was in art school and took photography, I got really good with focusing. I have a harder time with the point-and-shoot digital cameras, but unfortunately something is off with my film cam (it takes a few pics and then it's almost like the battery is low. The shutter goes really slow and then the film starts rewinding on it's own)

I want to take it to get it fixed but it's not been priority #1 these days and I almost think it'll be cheaper to go out and get a good digi instead. It's 10 years old so probably hard to get parts if they are needing to get replaced :( sad because I loved that camera.
flipflop1117

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs