How do I find a photographer?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

How do I find a photographer?

Postby Autumn2000 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 pm

I want to get some photos done of the 4 of us and also of Jack and Elizabeth by themselves. Instead of just going to the Picture People, I'm thinking about finding someone who could come to our house or has a studio we could go to. I really want to just purchase the images on a CD so I want to just pay for the photographer's time and talent, not for any printing.

Where should I look for someone? And what should I expect to pay? I know that the Picture People charge $250 to buy the CD. I really don't want to spend much more than that but am not sure how realistic that is. I can completely understand that this might be too low of an amount for many photographers so where can I find someone who is decent and willing to do the job for that amount?

TIA!
Autumn (34), Jeff (34), Jack (October 30, 2008) and Elizabeth (April 27, 2010)

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:19 pm

You might look in your local craigslist under creative services or do a google search for photographers in your city. Most will charge at least that and maybe an extra fee for the CD. If you find someone a little less established you could probably get the sitting and CD for that much. You could also try calling your local community college photography department. There are a lot of talented students that need to build a portfolio and I think somewhere around the price you quoted wouldn't be an insult to a student. Heck I'd do it for that much but I'm a big believer in good pictures shouldn't cost a fortune. But you do have to keep in mind all of the money that was spent on photoshop, cameras, lighting equipment, classes, etc. Plus the shooting hours and editing hours.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Autumn2000 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 pm

Good suggestion for CL! I understand that many photographers deserve more than $250 so if I can't find someone that is willing to do it for close to that, I'll have to go to The Picture People. I will look into students also. I'm just not sure that best way to go about that.

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Chiteacher » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 am

Autumn, if you find a good one you will have to let me know! I was just thinking how much I don't like Picture People, I want the CD of all my pictures - or online.
Me (Jane) & DH married 5/29/05 DS 5/6/10 (6lbs 7oz) DS#2 10/7/11 (10lbs 7oz)
Chiteacher
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:00 am

I would do a search for photographers in your area, and check out their websites. There are a lot of people who photograph for cheap, but you want your images to be really good, kwim? These are memories to last a lifetime.

You are in Chicago? Try going through the PPA (Pro Photographers of America) and see who is in your area. I do know of one AMAZING photographer, not sure of her rates though -- Megan at Firefly Nights Photography. Audrey Woulard is also there, but I bet she's mega expensive.
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaP » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am

Audrey is amazing though and worth every cent.

Im of the mind to avoid CL photographers. Most real photog with experince have enough client base that they are going to avoid advertising there. And when you are paying hundreds, you want quality. Searching the PPA websites is a good way to start though. Most serious newbies building a portfolio can be found there as its membership is a prefect way to build a real business, so you may find a few in your area offering good discounts.

On another note, when I get a prospective client that cant afford my rates, i ALWAYS refer them to our local Picture People studio, they are probably my favorite chain. They have a ton of props available, they use good lighting and are definanly accustomed to posing and dealing with kiddos and families.
Image Image
Check out the new site!: www.aprincephoto.com
AmandaP
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

I've used CL photographers in the past. I used one to do my maternity pics and they turned out amazing! You just have to ask to see their work and see if they have a satisfaction garuntee of some sort. So if they don't turn out well or you don't like them you can re shoot. You do have to sort out the good from the bad though because there are quite a few wannabe photographers on there.
Christina-32 4 miscarriages elevated FSH
Katelyn Michelle born after 4 long years of TTC 9.27.10, 8 lbs 12 oz., 20.5 "
Everett Steven 6.20.12, 8 lbs 15 oz, 21"
Cole Thomas July 17, 2014 8lbs 12 oz 21"
Nov. 2015 :angel:
https://www.facebook.com/christinaskinnerphotography
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:45 pm

I just googled "Newborn photographer" and the town I live in. It came up with a TON of really awesome photographers all different price ranges and different style of photography. I didn't want any prints either, just the photo sesh and the rights to all photos and them on a CD in high resolution.
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby photofashionista » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:24 pm

I just found another place, local family or parenting magazines. I just got a copy of "OC Family" and there were a ton of ads in there.
photofashionista
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Autumn2000 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I ended up finding a photographer who is a friend of a friend and we had our shoot on Saturday morning. They are AMAZING!! I'm sooooooo happy! They took about 500 photos and I have no idea how I'm going to select which ones I should print. I got exactly what I wanted for a great price. I paid $200 and get all of the images in high resolution on a DVD and the photographer will edit 4 of the images for me. Additional editing is $15 per image. They will make prints for me if I'd like, but there's no pressure. I can print them wherever I want.

Oh, and out of the chains I agree that the Picture People are probably the best but I would have spent $250 for about 20 or 30 images on a disk that I know would not be as gorgeous as that ones I got.

I'm ready to book Elizabeth's 1 year photo shoot already!!

Image Image Image

Autumn2000
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs