Good printer for inexpensive prints?

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Good printer for inexpensive prints?

Postby missnita » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:52 am

I think I'm going to ask for a printer for Christmas, to print off family photos. Anybody have suggestions of a good printer that prints photos in good quality but doesn't break the bank [original cost & ink costs]? Thanks
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby anxious-annie » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 pm

I've always liked the quality of canon printers when it comes to photos, though a lot of people swear by Epson...but in all honesty, I don't print photos at home anymore because with the high cost of ink and paper it's cheaper to get them printed at Walmart (for everyday snapshots) or an online service (for nicer photos).

Ink cartridges can run you upwards of $100 to replace all colors (which is what you have to do when printing photos) and you don't get nearly as many prints from those cartridges, for that $100, as you would get from Walmart for $100.

The only time I print anything at home anymore is if I want to quickly print off a couple of photos for someone to see that day. But it has to be fewer than 10 4x6 photos for me to consider it.
anxious-annie
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missnita » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 pm

I never ever seem to get around to getting prints done at Wal-Mart...I have a nearly 2 1/2 year old & I've had photos printed of him once when he was about a year old :/ Now I have a newborn & I feel even more overwhelmed with the amount of pics I need printed off. I thought using a printer might help me keep up on it a little better, even if I only printed my absolute favorites. Plus, we don't have a printer period, so it would still be used for general printing.
ME - Anita: 31
DH - Patrick: 32
DS1 - Oliver: 2
DS2 - Eli: Born 10/22/10

Image Image
missnita
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:18 pm

I have a cannon printer now. It rocks. I have had an Epson printer before. I did not care for it all. The ink was pricey plus one of the headers got messed up. After I found out how much it was going to cost to fix it, I got a new printer (it was cheaper then fixing the epson). HP is nice due to the fact everytime you change ink your also changing the headers. I would have got another HP when I got my MAC, but the Cannon was free with the Mac. Kodak I would stay away from. The ink does not seem to last that long, both with printing AND the photos fade pretty quickly.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs