Nikon D7000

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Nikon D7000

Postby laurab007 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 pm

I have a D60 and I'm ready to upgrade. I started looking around and found the new D7000. It sounds awesome and the reviews are great. Turns out, it's on backorder and it's not available anywhere. :evil: I was really hoping to get it for xmas, but it looks like I'll have to wait.

Anyone else have this camera or looking at getting it?
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

That camera is supposed to seriously ROCK!!!!

I would go for it.

I'm upgrading too, I'm stoked. Not to the D7000 though, but if I wanted a cropped sensor, that would be a good one to upgrade to!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:37 am

blue-eden wrote:That camera is supposed to seriously ROCK!!!!

I would go for it.

I'm upgrading too, I'm stoked. Not to the D7000 though, but if I wanted a cropped sensor, that would be a good one to upgrade to!

Yeah, I saw on your FB that you're getting the D700. That is way more camera than I need right now and I really don't want to spend that much unless I get more serious about photography. We'll see. I'm going to sell my D60 so that will help offset the cost a bit.

I can say that I've gotten sooooo much better lately. I took a photography class and really learned a lot. My focus and exposure have improved greatly, although I have a long way to go.

The most frustrating part is that Sophie is so uncooperative. She will not smile for me or let me take pics. I try to bribe here with toys or candy :oops: but that rarely works, or she'll smile, but it's a terrible smile. So annoying. :evil:
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:48 am

Are you looking to get a bit more serious?
Our kids are the WORST to practice on, because of the lack of cooperation, but also the BEST because we really learn how to shoot quickly on our feet, and bring the best out in our subjects because we have to work hard and fast, and move a lot. I learned more shooting with the kids, as far as getting good focus goes, because I had to be quick :lol:

Yeah,I'm getting the D700 because I want the full frame advantage, but if I were looking NOW for a crop, I'd go with the D7000 for sure. :)
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Christie2007 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:57 pm

Blue, I am getting the Canon 5D Mark II as an early Christmas present for my DH for the same reason. I really want that full frame advantage!

Laura, I have some friends who are die hard Nikon lovers. There is a big time photography shop here in Indy and while there looking at lenses the other day and picking up prints I heard one of the associates talking to someone about it and they HIGHLY recommended it. They said it can be a bit difficult to get your hands on right now because it is in such demand. They were on back order there as well. But, they said the camera is outstanding! I would totally get it if I were you! I read some reviews on them as well and I don't really think you can go wrong with it!
DS1 - Riley 6/29/07
DS2 - Hayden 12/4/08
DS3 - Lukas 6/3/11 - diagnosed with truncus arteriosus type I, VSD, and bicuspid aortic valve. Truncal/VSD repair (open heart sugery) 6/20/2011 at 2 weeks old.

Our Blog for Lukas
Christie2007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Blue - not really looking to get serious in terms of becoming pro or anything like that. I just want to take better shots for me, kwim? My skills are better and I think I need a more robust camera w/more capability. I also need to spend some time learning PS.

Tell me about this full frame thing?

I have issues w/my view finder, which is one of the reasons I want to get rid of the D60. What you see in the view finder is not how the pic comes out and I've tried to learn how to compensate. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, not so much. :?
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:37 am

I want full frame because I find I have to back up too much with my 85 mm 1.4 lens, and I want to use it all the time. So the full frame will give me more room and I won't have the crop sensor of the D90 limiting my range.
Also, the 35 mm is just not wide enough on my D90, I need a true 35 mm for shooting groups. I had a family shoot on Saturday, with 4 young girls, and the 35 was just not giving me the kind of effect I wanted, in the forest.

Is it the viewfinder, or the LCD you are having issues with? Do you mean the colour, or exposure, is not the same, or the composition?
With the D90 I have, the LCD only shows 96% of the image. You might want to look in your manual to see if there are similar changes with the D60.

At holiday time, cameras are popular gifts, so you might have a hard time finding the camera right now, especially since people are really raving about the D7000.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs