critique me!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

critique me!

Postby Mor_to_4 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:42 pm

critique por favor!!

the picture in my siggy...

i kinda think its too much pink.. but it was a quick thing i threw together while her mood was right. she just happened to be wearing pink... :P ok.. hit me...
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 pm

nada?! i just need some tips! :P

also, anything to get a 1 year old to sit still?! LOL.. oy, she did not want to do anything! i got a couple cute ones.. but thats IT! little booger here is a couple more...

torso looks long here and like she has itty bitty legs.. ??? why is that!?

and i purposley put the focus on the dog.. but i wish i was quick enough to have thought to put the focus on just her too.. ugh.. it all went too quickly and my slow brain just farted and thats it.. lol..

but any critique would be appreciated!
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 am

She's so adorable!!

Her legs look short because of the angle, shooting her straight on like that at her level.

I think your backdrop is working against you. It's probably casting back pink at her face, and it's all wrinkled up. I would tack it to a wall or something, and move her forward, perhaps sitting on a little chair. The background shouldn't be so obvious, and here the wrinkles and the contrasting shadows really attract attention.

I think adding the dog in was adorable! you got some great smiles!

I would back up though when you put the dog in there. Because now there are limb chops.

I think she'a bit overexposed, and the light is a tad too low, hitting her shirt and lower face, instead of up higher.

To get her to sit still put her in a chair, or something else like a tub, a rocking horse, etc. This is why I love chairs! LOL! See my recent post!
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chantellee » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:27 am

Agreed with everything Blue said.

To help with the legs not looking so short, angle her so you're not shooting straight on the feet. That will help in showing proportions.

Also to help with her looking at the camera is to get some kind of toy she rarely sees and have it sit above the camera. There's actually toys that attach to the lens, too.

If you get rid of the pink cast on her skin, it'll help a ton. And even though you got her too close that you couldn't do OOF in camera, you can definitely you a blur tool post editing and get the background OOF.

Me - 28
DP - 32
Bouncy DSS - 10
Crazy DS - 5

Aeris Mirra - born June 14th 2014

chantellee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:07 pm

blue-eden wrote:She's so adorable!!

Her legs look short because of the angle, shooting her straight on like that at her level.

I think your backdrop is working against you. It's probably casting back pink at her face, and it's all wrinkled up. I would tack it to a wall or something, and move her forward, perhaps sitting on a little chair. The background shouldn't be so obvious, and here the wrinkles and the contrasting shadows really attract attention.

I think adding the dog in was adorable! you got some great smiles!

I would back up though when you put the dog in there. Because now there are limb chops.

I think she'a bit overexposed, and the light is a tad too low, hitting her shirt and lower face, instead of up higher.

To get her to sit still put her in a chair, or something else like a tub, a rocking horse, etc. This is why I love chairs! LOL! See my recent post!

first of all.. thank you for the replies ladies!

now.. ok.. backdrop.. i think your right.. its too much i think.. with the texture of the blanket and then its rippling... maybe it would be better pinned back tight.. ill try and see if i like it any better.

i wish i could back up! :P i need a better lens. all the lenses i have for the wider shots are total crap. so i was using the only good lens i have which is my macro 100mm. i have tried the 50 and i just don't like it.. i think i would like the 50mm 1.4 but its way too expensive for me right now. darn it!! i think i might look at a good prime 35mm. or should i do some sort of zoom? i just want it to be good and i feel like zoom lenses aren't as good as a prime. opinions on that? but as for backing up.. lol.. i was in my living room where there is the best natural light and my back was pressed to the sliding door :P the reason it looks so weird lighting wise is because i messed with it and made it brighter. i DO NOT know what i am doing photoshop wise. other than basic clone out a pimple or two i have no clue. lol i only have elements 4.0 so i don't think it even has the option to mess with the curves.

and i like the chair idea.. i saw your recent post and that chair is sooo cool very regal looking! i need to go re-saling to see if i can find a cool chair lol. or something!! i just have no room in my living room or anywhere really with 4 kids and a dog :P
Last edited by Mor_to_4 on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 pm

chantellee wrote:Agreed with everything Blue said.

To help with the legs not looking so short, angle her so you're not shooting straight on the feet. That will help in showing proportions.

Also to help with her looking at the camera is to get some kind of toy she rarely sees and have it sit above the camera. There's actually toys that attach to the lens, too.

If you get rid of the pink cast on her skin, it'll help a ton. And even though you got her too close that you couldn't do OOF in camera, you can definitely you a blur tool post editing and get the background OOF.

the legs.. your right that's what it was.. hmmm I'll definitely be trying different angles. i hope she give me more time next time!

good idea on the toy, ill try that too. i feel like she might try to get it though, but i can try! haha...

ok, thanks girls! :D
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:11 pm

I agree with what was said above, and can I add that I think she looks a little over-contrasty in post processing. I would cut back a little bit on the contrast.

As for the background, can I give a tip? I've used a similar set-up and what I do is put a couple chairs a few feet behind where the subject will sit, then drape the blanket down and up, then clamp it to the chairs so it's not directly behind the subject. Does that make sense? There should be a few feet between the subject and the backdrop. That way you can create a bit of a blurry background and the wrinkles aren't so noticeable.
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Mor_to_4 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 am

yes! it does make sense! lol thank you, i'll try that too. its too hard right now with the 100mm but as soon as i get a better lens suited for the area i am going to be trying it all lol poor girl wont know what hit her. she might end up hating the camera!
me (Sarah) 32...DH 34

DS 11
DS 9
DD 8
DD 1

Mor_to_4
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs