What New Camera Things To Get

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

What New Camera Things To Get

Postby puddingpop » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Ladies,
I'm super stoked due to being a student, having a kid in child care, and some other tax write offs we got a very nice return. So I'm going to have some extra moola to get some new camera stuff :yay: So I thought I'd ask you lovely ladies what I should go for. Here is what I'm thinking of so far. An 85mm 1.4, I looked on Adorama and there is used one for 949 in excellent condition, meaning little wear and tear but no damage to the glass. Would this be a good price or should I keep looking? I'm also thinking of getting an SB600 speed lite. If I got an 85mm 1.8 I'd be able to get some strobes too. My head is spinning with all the choices. So does anybody have any suggestions for me?
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:40 pm

Ooh exciting!
What do you have so far, and what kind of photography do you see yourself doing the most?
Certified Lactation Educator and Breastfeeding Counselor
Mum to M, nursling 3-7-07 - 11-7-08 :hb: and Leo 4-13-09
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby maybebaby105 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 am

Also be sure to check out KEH.com. They are an amazing and reputable supplier of used camera equipment.
DD: Sadie Jayne, 18 mo old

BFP - 11/19/10, EDD: 7/24/11
HCG: 21dpo - 1750 // 23dpo - 3500 // 29dpo - 16000
7w/4d: Twin A - 7w/0d, 142 :hb:, Twin B - 7w/0d, 138 :hb:
8w/3d: Twin A - 7w/6d, 174 :hb:, Twin B - 8w, 169 :hb:
9w/2d: Twin A - 9w/0d, 185 :hb:, Twin B - 9w/0d, 190 :hb:
11w/2d: Twin A - 11w/1d, 164 :hb:, Twin B - 11w/1d, 145 :hb:
16w/3d: IT'S GIRLS!

maybebaby105
StickyDuster
StickyDuster

Postby puddingpop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Blue,
I've got a D90 camera, a 50mm 1.8, a 80-60mm zoom which by the way makes the most ugly bokeh I've ever seen looks like worms, cs4, and lightroom. Right now I'm not too sure what I'm going to specialize in. So I'm pretty open to suggestions.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:06 pm

maybebaby105 wrote:Also be sure to check out KEH.com. They are an amazing and reputable supplier of used camera equipment.

Thanks for the tip :D
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:11 pm

Since you have a stellar camera, I'd go with lenses. I'd upgrade the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4, or get the 85 mm 1.4.

If you plan to do studio, then get the strobes. I have the SB600, and don't use it much at all. If I do studio, I plan to do natural light anyway and just use the SB6oo for bounced flash if necessary. My studio in the new house will have good enough light for a natural light studio though.
If you do studio, you'll need umbrella, stand, backdrops, reflector, props etc. It's a pretty big investment over time. I have the umbrella, stand, etc and all that. I've been slowly collecting some nice props.

How about a nice camera bag for fun? I have the KellyMoore classic in fushia, and it's a great bag because it looks like a purse!

Or you can get some necessities like a backup hard drive, an extra battery (comes in useful!), extra memory cards, reflector (mine is white one side, gold on the other, and has it's own carry case, very convenient!).
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

What about a 12-24 zoom? I was reading reviews of those on Ken Rockwell. It's a great wide angle lens and, according to Ken, is a must have in the camera bag!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1224.htm
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:58 pm

blue-eden wrote:Since you have a stellar camera, I'd go with lenses. I'd upgrade the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4, or get the 85 mm 1.4.

If you plan to do studio, then get the strobes. I have the SB600, and don't use it much at all. If I do studio, I plan to do natural light anyway and just use the SB6oo for bounced flash if necessary. My studio in the new house will have good enough light for a natural light studio though.
If you do studio, you'll need umbrella, stand, backdrops, reflector, props etc. It's a pretty big investment over time. I have the umbrella, stand, etc and all that. I've been slowly collecting some nice props.

How about a nice camera bag for fun? I have the KellyMoore classic in fushia, and it's a great bag because it looks like a purse!

Or you can get some necessities like a backup hard drive, an extra battery (comes in useful!), extra memory cards, reflector (mine is white one side, gold on the other, and has it's own carry case, very convenient!).

Blue
Thank you :D I'm jealous your going to have a natural light studio in the new house. You'll have to show us pictures of the studio once you have it, so we can all drool :P Okay so I'm going to go for the 85mm 1.4 I'm pretty sure it's going to be the D series as there is no way I could afford the new G series and it seems hard to get lens right now :? :( I think I'll be happy no matter the series with 1.4 85mm, I love the images produced by that lens.

I'm also going to go with the SB600. It gets really dark here, and I will also need it for some up coming classes. So it's needed.

The KellyMoore bag I'm saving for when I finish my photography degree. I want it now, but I'm using it as my reward for getting my degree :wink: Also there's a couple of designers I'm watching. It's always fun to see what how the lady camera bags are coming out.

So after going through some yucky things, like paying some bills off. After these two purchases I'll have a budget of around 300. After looking at
AlienBees, I'm going to start saving for one of their packages. I'll be putting off my lighting class till then. So with a 300 budget do you have any suggestions with this? I'm thinking lenses right now. I don't know maybe I should get a syder for color calibartion. I'd like a micro, but I dont think I'll have the budget for one. Any how any more suggestions? I've totally rumbled too much, sorry about that

:oops:
Last edited by puddingpop on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:10 am

laurab007 wrote:What about a 12-24 zoom? I was reading reviews of those on Ken Rockwell. It's a great wide angle lens and, according to Ken, is a must have in the camera bag!

Laura
Thank you for the suggestion. I will look in to it more :)
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:06 am

laurab007 wrote:What about a 12-24 zoom? I was reading reviews of those on Ken Rockwell. It's a great wide angle lens and, according to Ken, is a must have in the camera bag!

I agree! I have this one, and it's a seriously great lens. It has a minimum ap of only F4 but it's not variable, so you can zoom in and zoom out and not worry about changing your shutter speed. I use it on my D90 for landscapes, but you could definitely use it in studio too.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby blue-eden » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 am

puddingpop wrote:
blue-eden wrote:Since you have a stellar camera, I'd go with lenses. I'd upgrade the 50 1.8 to the 50 1.4, or get the 85 mm 1.4.

Blue
Thank you :D I'm jealous your going to have a natural light studio in the new house. You'll have to show us pictures of the studio once you have it, so we can all drool :P Okay so I'm going to go for the 85mm 1.4 I'm pretty sure it's going to be the D series as there is no way I could afford the new G series and it seems hard to get lens right now :? :( I think I'll be happy no matter the series with 1.4 85mm, I love the images produced by that lens.

I'm also going to go with the SB600. It gets really dark here, and I will also need it for some up coming classes. So it's needed.

The KellyMoore bag I'm saving for when I finish my photography degree. I want it now, but I'm using it as my reward for getting my degree :wink: Also there's a couple of designers I'm watching. It's always fun to see what how the lady camera bags are coming out.

So after going through some yucky things, like paying some bills off. After these two purchases I'll have a budget of around 300. After looking at
AlienBees, I'm going to start saving for one of their packages. I'll be putting off my lighting class till then. So with a 300 budget do you have any suggestions with this? I'm thinking lenses right now. I don't know maybe I should get a syder for color calibartion. I'd like a micro, but I dont think I'll have the budget for one. Any how any more suggestions? I've totally rumbled too much, sorry about that

So after the 85 1.4 mm (and I agree, any of the series would be great!!!) and the Sb600, you are looking at another $300?

You need to be calibrated. Flat out, a necessity. I'd get the Spyder for sure.

I love my macro lens, but it's really expensive and I only use it for fun right now. I could use it for portraits, but never for subjects that move. Maybe for maternity, sleeping newborns and seniors.

I don't know about Alien Bees, I can't help you but I'm sure someone here can! :) I'm not really into studio lighting, but www.strobist.com has tons of info about it.

Another great lens is the 35 mm 1.8. I have the DX version and will be upgrading to the FX version soon. It's super sharp, not very expensive, and useful both indoors and out.
blue-eden
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

blue-eden wrote:
puddingpop wrote:

Blue

So after the 85 1.4 mm (and I agree, any of the series would be great!!!) and the Sb600, you are looking at another $300?

You need to be calibrated. Flat out, a necessity. I'd get the Spyder for sure.

I love my macro lens, but it's really expensive and I only use it for fun right now. I could use it for portraits, but never for subjects that move. Maybe for maternity, sleeping newborns and seniors.

I don't know about Alien Bees, I can't help you but I'm sure someone here can! :) I'm not really into studio lighting, but www.strobist.com has tons of info about it.

Another great lens is the 35 mm 1.8. I have the DX version and will be upgrading to the FX version soon. It's super sharp, not very expensive, and useful both indoors and out.

Well I decided I'm going for 85mm, Spyder3 Pro, SB600, and lastly get a membership to a couple of photography societies. Thanks for the tip of the strobist. It gives me a nice jump to start with some of the major lighting needs.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs