Please Critique and help me get better!

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

Please Critique and help me get better!

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:33 pm

I introduced myself while I was pregnant but I didn't take many photos while pregnant just because I didn't have the motivation and since my son has been born I've been super busy. But now things are calming down and I have more time to take pictures and post.

I have always loved photography. After my DH and I got married in 2009 we purchased a DSLR with our wedding gift money. Very nice of him because he never uses it ;) We welcomed our first born, John (Johnny), into the world on October 15th, 2010. He just turned 4 months old. LOVE being a Mom and now want to really dig deep into my hobby and play with my creative side.

So far my camera case consists of the very basics:

Nikon D90
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 18-105mm
Two UV filters for my lenses

I also have a Nikon Coopix P7000 that I use when I don't want to lug around my heavy DSLR. Especially now with baby in tow :)

I have taken one photography class so far when we first purchased the D90 in 2009. Now I am VERY excited to be taking a class on creativity on Saturday taught by the photographer who won the NAPCP Child Photographer of 2010. I'm also registered in her April class on the technical stuff.

VERY excited!! :)

So I've been doing some reading online, touching up my photography knowledge (very limited knowledge). And also have been watching some videos on photo editing in Aperture 3.

I'd like to share these following pictures and please feel free to give me your advice! :)

AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:15 pm

Aww these are so sweet! Good for you posting for CC! Did you shoot these in auto or manual? Jpeg or RAW? What were your settings?

My first thoughts are that your use of natural light is good and posing is pretty good too (4 months is a really hard age). I LOVE the eye contact you got with #2. Your focus and exposure are good too (although it's hard to tell on such a small picture, but maybe a tiny bit soft on #2?).

My critiques would be that your color is off, he is looking super gray and washed out. Also I would work really hard on getting some good eye contact, which really makes the picture look more like a portrait rather than a snapshot.

Ok my toddler is begging me to read to him so that's it for now. Good work!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaBanana23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Victoria - Congratulations on your little girl! I remember your son from posts I did back in the fall. He has really grown up a TON since the last siggy picture you had. Wow! Your daughter is so precious!

I shot this in RAW + JPEG, I used JPEG as the master photo because I really do not know the difference yet and know nothing about RAW.

I used Auto focus because I have a really hard time with it for some reason, but shot in M mode. ISO 200 for all of them, f/1.8 and 1/320

I messed with the exposure while editing. I found it was a bit too dark.

I get pretty frustrated with my shots because I feel they aren't as crisp as they should be. They seem a bit out of focus to me and not as "pro" as I would like them to look. I'm sure it's all to do with my settings, and I'm trying to wrap my head around Aperture, SS and ISO still.
AnnaBanana23
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:31 pm

I agree with Victoria for CC. You want to use RAW as the master file. You can always change a RAW file to a jpeg. There is also much more ease of post processing with a RAW file. Unless your shooting a still life you should use auto focus.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs