please help

Discuss photography tips, cameras, and photo theme of the month ideas here!

Moderators: B Michaelson, southernbelle, jessm, 1daysoon, reapage, Honey Bunny, unaffected, maddy, TrebleLily

please help

Postby coastieschick » Sun May 22, 2011 5:43 pm

Every time I think I am getting somewhere with my DSLR and decide to play around with settings vs using auto/pre-set modes I get SO frustrated I want to throw it!

What do y'all use to shoot? M, S, A, P??? How do you figure out settings, I have done about all the googling I can and I am [_this_] close to just selling it and giving up on pursuing pro photography. I swear half the time I feel like I could get a better photo with my point and shoot!? The thing is I feel like I would make a great photographer, and when I get my camera to do what I want my photos turn out good.

So here are my problems, If I can get it light enough the shutter speed is to slow so everything is blury, how am I supposed to capture an active baby when all I get is blur??? AND to top it off my AF takes FOREVER and that is WHEN it decides to focus at all!!!

TIA
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 pm

I almost always use Aperture mode. I set the ap and the camera adjusts my shutter speed. I do use bracketing so I can adjust the shutter if need be. You have to make sure your SS isn't slower that 1/60 or you'll get blur.

I also pay attention to my ISO and white balance setting. That can make a big difference. If you up your ISO slightly, you can get a faster shutter speed and still get enough light.

Try shooting in S mode and set you SS fast enough, but let the camera pick the ap. You can also shoot in M and set both. If you make sure to set your SS fast enough, then you can adjust your ap.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:43 pm

I shoot in M almost exclusively. It took a while but it's like second nature at this point, I even do most of my snapshots in M mode. You just have to think about shutter speed, aperture, and ISO as all working together, yet they do different things and you have to know when and why to change them.

To shoot kids, you really need to have a shutter speed of 1/100 or (preferably) higher. So I would start there. If you're indoors using natural light, you will probably need a fairly low AP (I usually use around 2.2 but that depends on your lens). And then I have to boost my ISO to about 400 when I'm inside. So then you just play around until you get it right... those are my go-to settings when I'm indoors (1/100, 2.2, 400), and if I have more light I will raise my SS or lower my ISO. If it's a bit too dark, I raise the ISO.

Same goes for outdoors! When I'm outside, I usually pick my AP first. Let's say I want to have a super blurry background... I pick 2.0 or whatever for my AP. Then I more than likely need a higher SS since there's more light outside, and a lower ISO. Then... uh-oh, here comes a big cloud... now I need to decrease my SS or my picture will be underexposed.

I have no idea if my ramblings helped at all. But in my opinion I would learn manual before moving into AP, only because it will help you learn how the settings work rather than letting the camera do things for you. Maybe post some pictures with settings too so people can give you advice!
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby puddingpop » Wed May 25, 2011 11:59 pm

It can be rough figuring out how all the settings work just by them selfs and all together. I am a control freak and shoot everything in M mode. I am smarter than my camera, and so are you. When first learning about shutter and f/stops, you can either shoot in those modes, or go straight to M. In any case watch the meter in the view finder, it's towards the bottom. The indicator should be in the middle. Once you get comfortable you can be able to learn more on metering, but for now stick to what is mentioned above. Experiment, learn all that you can by reading, articulating (meaning start speaking and writing in of language of photography), and doing. Look at the settings for the good and the bad shots. This way you can see and learn more. Photography is not easy, it is a lot of work. Keep trying, and don't give up.
DD #1 I Feb 2000
DD #2 M Oct 2008
puddingpop
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Thu May 26, 2011 10:42 am

I'll have to post some pics later, I can get great photos (I think) outside on M but inside its either too dark, blury, or noisy, I just can't get it to work inside w/o flash. We live in a town home so we have very few windows and the ones we do have are teeny tiny so....

But yeah, I will take some photos and post in a bit.
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 am

ok this first shot was in my living room
1.6/F5.6/-0.3/ISO800

its not bad BUT I tried to use the same setting to catch a pic of my dog and its all blur!? This is my problem...

outside I used
1/100 /F5.5/-0.3/ISO200

I noticed too that the camera kept changing my +/- # so IDK what that's all about I thought M mode it wasn't supposed to change unless I changed it!?

Thanks a lot y'all!!!!!
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm confused about your settings, is your shutter speed on the indoor pictures 1/6? Or what does the 1.6 mean? And what does the -0.3 mean? What time of day were the indoor pictures taken?
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Fri May 27, 2011 5:19 am

yeah it must of been 1/6 not 1.6 that was shutter speed.
the -0.3 (might of been -.03) was the brightness

and I think it was around 2pm???
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chumleyk » Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 pm

The people who already posted who shoot in full manual mode can probably help you much more than I can, but I usually use some combination of P, A, S, and M. I set up the shot on program mode and see what settings the camera chooses for me. Then I adjust from there if I'm not happy with those settings.

I do that because I am trying to learn how everything interacts. Shutter speed and ISO are comprehensible to me, but it's the aperture part of the equation that I struggle with.

You might also consider signing up for a photo class. I've done that and getting feedback from instructors and other photographers has taught me more about aperture than reading the manual ever did. The class I took was online, I can give you the information if you want it (not sure if I'm allowed to post it here).

Since blur is something that frustrates you, you might try working with the S setting more. Then you can set the speed faster and eliminate some of the blur. You also may just need to use a flash in some instances. On my camera, you have to manually tell the flash to fire in any of those modes.
~Kristin

Kristin - 27
DH Peter - 27
DD Lucy born 7/20/2009
DS Tommy born 2/22/2011

Blog about the kids: www.thelucytommyshow.blogspot.com

chumleyk
Addicted
Addicted

Postby coastieschick » Tue May 31, 2011 7:09 am

See, I thought you weren't supposed to use the flash? SO I have been trying to teach myself manual w/o flash but I just don't have the lighting in our house to get away with it. Unless I am missing something...

There is a "momtography" class I want to take but its about an hour away so its on my list of things to do for myself this year...
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby chumleyk » Tue May 31, 2011 7:28 am

The on camera flash is the least flattering flash type. If you have to use a flash it's better if you use some other kind of flash....which I don't know much about because I don't own one.

But basically something has to give in order to get enough light into your camera to take a non-blurred picture. You want to shoot at faster shutter speeds, so you need to do some combination of the following:

1) You can increase the ISO, which will allow you to shoot at faster shutter speeds, but it will add grain to the photo.

2) You can open up the aperture (smaller aperture numbers), but you sacrifice depth of field when you do that. That can be a good thing in portrait photography, because only a small part of the photo will be in focus....but it means you need to focus more carefully on the subject.

3) You can add a flash. I believe it's best if you add an off camera flash positioned off to one side, but I don't really know much about flash photography.

4) You can also change locations to one with more light.

What kind of photos are you trying to take? Portraits? Can you post a link to your "vision"?
~Kristin

Kristin - 27
DH Peter - 27
DD Lucy born 7/20/2009
DS Tommy born 2/22/2011

Blog about the kids: www.thelucytommyshow.blogspot.com

chumleyk
Addicted
Addicted

Postby coastieschick » Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 am

mainly its everyday photos inside that I have a problem with, little man playing and what not...
...I may just have to break down and use the flash
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby laurab007 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am

Sometimes you have to use the flash - with backlight, sunsets, and low light situations. I try to avoid it at all costs, but sometimes the pics just come out better w/the flash.

To me, it looks like your ss it too slow, which is causing the blur. You need to up your ISO and open your ap up as wide as possible.
Laura - 43 and still fabulous!
:angel: 1/19/10 M/C 8w5d d&c (triploidy)
No longer TTC

ImageImage

laurab007
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby victoria_1024 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Yep your shutter speed is too low, that's why you're getting blur. 1/6 is so low you almost would need a tripod to avoid camera shake. But it looks like maybe your lens won't allow you to go below 5.6 for your ap which might make indoor pictures challenging. Try and work on finding good light, like for instance I have big dining room windows and the light comes in in the morning so I try to pose my kids there in the morning to get the best light.

Also you may want to consider (at some point) getting a 50mm 1.8 lens. It's only around 100 dollars but you'll be able to lower your ap down to 1.8 which will allow much more light for indoor pictures!

P.S. sometimes I do just use my on camera flash for snapshots of my kids when there's just not enough light to shoot manual. There's nothing wrong with flashy snapshots sometimes. :)
victoria_1024
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby coastieschick » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks that makes me feel better and yeah my lens won't let me go lower. Its just really hard here b/c we only have 4 windows in the whole house since its a town home and were sandwiched between two others (I can't wait to move next year!!!)

I have another lens its a 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 vs the 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, would that maybe be better until I can upgrade to a better lens? Deff going to start bugging DH though ;) thanks for your help!!!
coastieschick
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Photography / Shutter Bugs